Ch. Pontet-Canet 1986-2013 + 2002 Mouton

We had a fantastic Ch. Pontet-Canet vertical last night in Potsdam.

1986 Pontet-Canet
Very floral nose. On the palate smooth and silky with a basket of dark fruits. Almost no tannins anymore, but still a big acidity. A morbid beauty. Solid, but nothing really impressive. Drink now.

1995 Pontet-Canet
Very harmonic and resting in itself. No edges. Lovely sweet core. Simply a beauty. I have to admit that I am quite surprised, as the 95s were quite repellent in its youth and there was the feeling that they maybe will never open up or the tannins will drying-out. 92-93/100

2001 Pontet-Canet
It´s a jump-in-the-face wine with its bombastic perfume of fruits. Opens also nicely in the mouth with its huge fruit. Velvet texture. Quite nice to drink right now. 91-92/100

2002 Pontet-Canet
Impressive bouquet. But clearly decline in the mouth. Sticks in the mouth and also lacks of length and complexity. 90/100

2003 Pontet-Canet
Big, dense and concentrated. Flavor of marcipan and quite chubby. A little bit too alcoholic. I found the 94-95/100 a bit too high by Mr. Parker. Taste quite californian wine-like. Maybe it´s the difference of american and european palate. Anyway, for my only 91-92/100

2006 Pontet-Canet
OMG, stunning perfume. Balmy, spicy and reminds me a bit on LMHB. Here we have a stilistic change in my view. A lot of tannins, also intense and chilly. And with a touch of animalistic. Almost no Merlot noticeable, clearly dominated by CS. 94-95/100

2008 Pontet-Canet
Similar nose like 2003. Sexy, hedonistic and fully open right now. Huge drinking pleasure. Much fresher than 2003. Also here I find the 96/100 by Mr. Parker a bit too high. For me 94/100

2010 Pontet-Canet
A monument. Totally mind-blowing with its divine structure. Gorgeous polished texture and what a purity and HARMONY. Despite the 14,5%, you don´t feel the alcohol. Never-ending length and what a complexity and finesse. 100/100

2012 Pontet-Canet
Very velvety on the palatey and I am really fascinated by this wine. A bit shy at the moment, but there is no doubt this wine has huge potential. A bit mysterious this wine. 93-94+/100

2013 Pontet-Canet
Not really convincing.

2002 Mouton Rothschild
Can´t believe it. A 2002 and such outstanding. Pure noblesse and wonderful unexcited. Awesome depth with flavors of coffee, roast notes and again this exemplary elegance. I think 93/100 by Mr. Parker is clearly too low and the swiss journalist Rene Gabriel is right with his 20/20. For me 97-98/100.

Here also impressions from a Bordeaux expert regarding Mouton.

“In the nose almost lustful. A cloud of flavors like vanilla, bacon, black fruits and eucalyptus mellow the senses. Unbeliavable. On the palate we have a fantastic wine near the perfection. Meaty. Glycerin. Round. Very long finish with mint. I don´t know what to say in terms of superlatives.
I am deeply surprised about the readiness of the wine. Without decanter it provides perfect drinking pleasure right now. I thought there would be some distracting 2002 acidity or unripe flavors…nothing whatsoever . Everything is one the right place. 98/100”

Cheers,
Martin

Thanks Martin. Very useful notes. Especially appreciate the 2001 PC and 2002 Mouton notes, as I have been eyeing both in the cellar.

Martin, thank you so much for posting these notes. I have quite a few of the 2006, but have been warned off opening one by notes that say it is a 40-50 year wine. Do you think it would reward opening now? You do refer to the tannins. Thanks!

Neal,

yes, I won´t touch it the next 10 years. On the hand, life is short. The wine is not totally closed, but quite firm. Drink it over several days.

Best,
Martin

I recently had the 2003 and found it to be quite primary. Do you think that it and the 2008 wii ever develop tertiary characteristics, or just at some point loose their youthful exuberance?

I think the 2008 will develop tertiary characteristics, but fair to say it taste great right now.

For my european palate 2003 is much too big and the little cankerous elements worries me.

Nice notes!
Was hoping to see 2000 also. I have a few but think I need to have a little more patience.

Thanks for the notes. Good showing across different vintages. 2003 will always remain controversial. I have decided its not my cup of tea.

Nice to see how the 2006 and 2008 were travelling.

When used as a descriptor for wine, (I believe that this is the first time that I’ve ever seen it used) what does cankerous mean?

Great notes. Was there a specific reason 2005 was missing?

I need to try some of my 95’s some day.

Yes there was. We thought not to drink too many bottles. So we said 10 bottles and not 15 bottles of Pontet Canet which also could have been possible. Around 1 year ago we had a Pegau vertical in Berlin with the winemaker Laurence and 20 bottles Cuvée Reserve back to 1986. Fair to say after 15 bottles we were a bit tired.

Regarding 2005, we had to choose between 2003 and 2005. We choose 2003 as we thought that 2003 is more open.

I have quite a few 2000’s tucked away, but have also consumed maybe six bottles over the pst two years. For my tastes, I think it’s ready to go and provides a great experience. I’d open one if I were you and see what you think.

Regarding the 2002 Mouton Rothschild a true Bordeaux expert posted his impression in german who also attended this tasting.
“In der Nase geradzu wollüstig. Eine Aromenwolke aus Eukalyptos, schwarzen Beeren, Vanille und Speck benebelt die Sinne. Umfassbar. Am Gaumen zeigt sich ein fantastischer Wein nahe der Perfektion. Fleischig. Gylzerin. Rund. Sehr langer Abgang mit Minze. Mir fehlen die Superlative.

Fazit: Mich erstaunt vor allem die Zugänglichkeit. Der Wein zeigt sich ohne Dekanter sofort trinkbar. Anders als erwartet ist da keine störende 2002er Säure, keine unreifen Aromen. Alles ist am rechte Platz.”

“In the nose almost lustful. A cloud of flavors like vanilla, bacon, black fruits and eucalyptus mellow the senses. Unbeliavable. On the palate we have a fantastic wine near the perfection. Meaty. Glycerin. Round. Very long finish with mint. I don´t know what to say in terms of superlatives.
I am deeply surprised about the readiness of the wine. Without decanter it provides perfect drinking pleasure right now. I thought there would be some distracting 2002 acidity or unripe flavors…nothing whatsoever . Everything is one the right place. 98/100”

Thank you for the additional perspective Martin.

Our Bordeaux-expert posted this note regarding 2006 Pontet Canet:

“Schillert purpurfarben im Glas, als wären wir bei einer Jungweinprobe. Frisch. Eukalyptos. Teer. Wuchtig. Teenagerwein. Sehr jung. Puristische Cabernetstilistik. Lang. Intensiv. Aber noch zu früh zu trinken. Auch durch langes Warten im Glas wurde nur minimale Öffnungstendenzen offenbar. 93+/100”

“Dazzle purple color in the glass like we are at a En Primeur-Tasting. Fresh. Eukalyptus. Tar. Powerful. Teenager-wine. Very jung. Puristic Cabernet stylistic. Long. Intensive. Much too young to drink. Also the wine opened not up during resting the wine in the glass for a long time. 93+/100”

Must be German for Cantankerous [wink.gif]

Our Bordeaux-expert posted this note regarding 2008 Pontet Canet:

Frisch und saftig. Komplett ausgereiftes Lesegut. Kleinbeerig. Facettenreich. Ein Quantensprung in der Vertikale (an diesem Abend waren u.a. 1986, 1996, 2001 und 2006 Vorgänger). Extrasüsse. Eine Kannonade an unterschiedlichen Geschmacksnuancen. Mittelgewichtig. Grossartig. 95/100

Fresh and juicy. Complete matured crop of grapes. Little berries. Multifaceted. Extract sweetness. A cannonade of different flavor nuances. Of medium weight. Excellent. 95/100

Our Bordeaux-expert posted this note regarding 2012 Pontet Canet:

“Wie viele 2012er derzeit einfach nur köstlicher Nektar. Wie in anderen Pontet Canets seit 2006 fällt sofort die Feinheit ins Auge. Dem Jahrgang entsprechend schöne facettenreiche Fruchtexpression. Komplett feine Tannine. Noch sehr jung. Großartig.”

As many 2012er simply delicious nectar. Like other Pontet Canet`s since 2006 strikes you immediately is the refinement. Typical for the vintage is a diverse fruit expression. Complete subtle tannins. Still very young. Gorgeous. 94/100

Damn this thread!

I’m now tracking down a couple bottles . . . . And one of the starts with an “M”.

:wink: