Ch. Pontet-Canet 1986-2013 + 2002 Mouton

Robert, people supposedly got the 02 Firsts for less than $100 as futures. Just sayin’.

I recently tasted the 02’ Mouton as well and completely agree that that wine is an absolute stunner. I drank it along side an 86’ and 06’ Margaux and it blew them out of the water. Currently stands as my WOTY for 16.

Yep. I paid $99.99 per bottle for the one and only time buying first-growth futures. But current auction prices look pretty good right now. At one point this was going for six or seven hundred a bottle!
Edit: And Lafite was $98.99.

Good to know, as our german Bordeaux freaks cannot believe my impressions and score. It seems because of the fact that Mr. Parker gave 93/100, it is impossible that this 2002 Mouton is such good.

2002 - The last vintage from Bordeaux, with truely good and fair prices en primeur. (2004 also reasonable pricings e.p.)
And so, 2002 the last year I bought in 12-cases. Luckily, I bought ok, mostly left banks, and I love Pauillacs.
The Mouton was around $110 all incl.(Petrus at $360, Pin $500 and Lafleur $170) I got Me a 12-box and 6 loose Mouton R, (and a few of the named three top pomerols).
Had The Mouton twice lately with non geeks, and of course they “liked it”. It’s good to hear from true wine lovers, that this wine is special.
I think so too. A lot ! And still materials for further improvement…Oh man !
Mr. P gave initially 94+, 2015-40. I can see this old score in my long time paper and pen wine inventory listings. I will now add Your, new, TNs and scores, as I actually agrees with the High nineties pts.
In one word, - Rich !

Regards, Soren.

I recently opened an '04 Pontet Canet, and to me, it’s closed pretty tight, which was disappointing. The last time I had it - 2 years ago - it seemed ready for business, but obviously still early secondary. I guess 2 years ago was the tail end of its primary stage, as it shut right back down. Hold the '04’s, IMHO

Thanks, Martin, for the notes!

For the record, Bob initially raved about the 02 Mouton hence I bought alot @99.99 per bottle based on his recommendation.