To paraphrase Mr. French from The Departed...

“I’m the guy who decides that’s a wine you can trash and that’s one you can’t…”

No one here would bat an eye at a satyrical, biting put down of, say, Wild Vines Black Berry Merlot or even Nikki Minaj’s Pink Moscato Cooler. Even JZ’s bubbly can be berated with no harm no foul even though it is actually good just radically overpriced. Lots of folks trashed Caymus 40 as a sport and that got SOME pushback but when SQN gets similar flack for similar reasons, suddenly that’s the third rail.

A lot of the folks who say “just talk about what you like, or don’t say anything at all” have NO problem pronouncing that, for instance, Hip Hop is not MUSIC let alone good music so why the different take on wine?

If I think something is DNPIM (search for that here, might surprise you), why am I a jerk for saying so if it is some science fiction “Barbaresco” that tastes like Purple Drank, has a rhino on the label and costs $$$ but not so much if it is a Mollydooker wanna be?

Discuss…

I think you need a cranberry juice…get it…uhhhh

You’re not. At least not in my opinion. Honesty makes a lot more sense. I’ve taken down a few wines in my time, and been roundly criticized for it by fans of the wines.

Next!

You can say a wine is bad, and why you think it is bad. Be prepared for a little flame, and step up with the next one, good or bad.

The only Mr French I know is from Family Affair.

Caution: Strong Language, NSFW

\

Dude, SQN is too pricey for you to criticize it.

Can you type jay z? No one says “jz”

Really? Then how is it pronounced?

Fine. No one types “jz”

cranberry juice anyone?

It’s a matter of personal taste. Just because someone doesn’t care for a wine I like (or vice-versa) shouldn’t be an issue. I do find, though, that just as there’s a herd mentality of wines that everyone is SUPPOSED to love, there can develop a herd mentality of wines that everyone is SUPPOSED to hate.

The conversation I find more interesting is when you find someone say they used to love Wine X but now don’t (or vice-versa) and they explain in a meaningful way what caused the change of heart.

Bruce

Roberto - I agree any straight opinion of a wine, even if framed with hyperbole/humour/gruesomeness, is fair game. And nobody should complain about those. What’s different is saying: “I think this wine is a horrible xyz AND anyone who DOES like it is [insert insult]”. The latter is unnecessary as a generalisation and what tends to get people’s backs up…

Generally I dont jump into back and forths about specific wines but I enjoy reading them. The only time I find it irritating and loose interest is when there is a thread of say Buzz asking for opinions about the SQN book and people jump in to say how much SQN sucks simply because they feel its cool to do so. Very hipster. Vendettas and repetitive thrashings are also less than amusing. I just skip the posts from some people for that reason. Personal attacks on winemakers because of their style are also pretty stupid, especially when the attack is parroting something some clueless blogger said.
A tn saying why somone dislikes or even hates a wine is always interesting. Style discussions are interesting. Look at me, Im cool cause I hate wine x attacks are just dumb. Unfortunately, somone always feeds the troll.

So the world has decided that typing “are you” is too much trouble and uses “ru” instead, but typing “jz” instead of Jay-Z just isn’t done?

I admit it. I’m too old to understand all this internet stuff.

Okay MM [snort.gif]

You aren’t too old. My British friend who recently pronounced it “jay zed” is too old. :slight_smile:

I don’t mind reading when people bash wines I like such as SQN or La Spinetta. I do get irritated when people call them trash or worse. Yes, its the Internet, but I am sure Manfred Krankl or Giorgio Rivetti work just as hard as some peasant winemaker in the Loire making natural wines and are just as proud of their work. Rudeness is not acceptable from Parker, Alice or anyone else IMO.

When Rivetti starts “dropping” albums, I will rip him to shreds for it also. One of the main things is that with “JZ” his attempt to get into the drinks biz is so fake and transparent of an effort to sell his celebrity.

if it was limited to, “SQN wines are way too extracted,” that would be one thing. but many times, the critique of SQN also extends to those who like it, "no one could ever actually enjoy this kinda wine, unless you are a label-chasing, point-whoring, RMP nut-licking sheep with no taste.

i have no problem with people saying they don’t like a wine, but SQN bashing often extends to a critique of those who are fans, and i think that is when it gets heated.

I think the SQN fans gave as good as they got in the last thread. We don’t really need to do it again now, do we?