Week 6 Virtual Tasting - What Bubbly you opening for NYE? - Scott Brunson for Homeless Shelter

Theme: Bubbles from around the World
Host: Scott Brunson
Date: Dec 30th - Jan 6th
Format: $5 per Tasting Note

In Scott’s own words…

Charity
Let’s begin 2015 with bubbles and hope for the future.
Just when you thought that the youth of America were all jaded and selfish, along comes a group of young ladies who want to make a difference at home. http://www.keysforhope.org/ was started by a thirteen-year-old student of mine, along with a group of her friends. They collect old keys and re-purpose them as jewelry, ornaments, etc. The youth give up weekends to travel to craft fairs and farmers markets, always donating all of the proceeds to rebuild a Charleston area homeless shelter. So far they have raised around 65k and have larger aspirations. They volunteer tirelessly.
Even though I am supporting a local charity, I believe these students and their ideas may grow and impact many more people, hopefully nationwide or worldwide.
I will donate five dollars per note on all celebratory sparkling wines. Please toast these wonderful young people; they make me very proud and humble.
I would love to see others join me, either by sending a donation to my kids, or supporting your local shelter. If you support your local shelter, please post or PM me so I can share with the girls. They need reinforcement for the impact they are having.

RaffleWin a case of craft beer. Post a note and Anthony may randomly select you for a case delivered to your door.

OK Berserkers, let’s get busy.

Nice. I don’t normally take the time to even keep a mental note on NYE but for this, I will.

Jason

NV Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Inflorescence Blanc de Noirs - France, Champagne, Côte des Bars (Aube), Champagne (12/30/2014)
This is L01, purchased in 2009. I set aside a couple of bottles as an experiment to see how they would age. Turns out they age just fine. There is an intense citrus (my wife says tangerine) element, along with floral and toasty elements. The intensity and depth of the aromatics contrast with a very elegant palate that seems like it has barely aged. The wine is dry, piercing and very refreshing.

And along with the wine, Laura and I have made a $200 donation to Habitat for Humanity. Turns out Nissan is also doing a match promotion with Habitat through tomorrow, so it becomes $400.

I am in…I will donate $5 per post to the https://losangelesmission.org/ and my wonderful 18 year old daughter Sarah wants to get involved (she does not have much money) first year in college [wow.gif] But she will also donate $2 per note to the keys charity. Love that kid!

Will also get some notes up this week. Good job Scott B!

I’m a little late tonight, but I’m good to raffle another case of craft beer randomly drawn from all the note posters.

Thank you, kind sir.

Here are two from last night:

NV Tarlant Champagne Zero Brut Nature - France, Champagne
A little lean for my taste, but I like a little flab in my Champagne.

2012 Éric Texier Rouletabulle - France, Rhône, Ardèche
A lovely petillant naturel. Essence of white peach + a little RS = dangerously easy to consume in large quantities.

Bereche NV. Oh my!!! Not the first time I’ve had this champagne, but it always surprises me with such intensity and cut. A really good Dom vintage reminds me of this wine :slight_smile:

• NV Bott-Geyl Crémant d’Alsace Extra Brut Paul-Edouard - France, Alsace, Crémant d’Alsace (12/31/2014)
    A strong mineral note on the nose, a bit of lime/citrus and a hint of herbs. The palate is zesty with lemon/lime, minerals, high acidity and pleasant bubbles. Very refreshing. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

NYE:

• 1995 Mumm’s Napa DVX: surprising that this held up and was quite expressive. definitely some Pinot in this blend. not the greatest nose, but expressive, and a nice finish without any bite. golden almost amber color, good bubbles and decent fruit. drank this early with a sushi course and ahi.

• 2002 Delamotte: BdB, early favorite, and quite a contrast to the domestic bubbles. steely and tight, but I’m glad we drank this now. Imagine it will improve and show a bit more bread dough and gain some weight. drank this with the gyoza, chesnut and pork/chicken boazi and spring rolls

2007 Anderson Schramsberg: Pinot dominant, a bit tart. Will sit on the other bottles at least 2-5 more years.

1995 Taittinger Comtes BdB, hands down my favorite. creamy rich texture, fine bubbles. A terrific Comtese that on this night outshines the 90 and 96.

Lucien Albrecht Cremant Rose- I found a bunch of these Alsatian cremants on closeout for <$9 and brought one to a party last night. Sour cherries with a bit of sweetness and a touch more class than your typical single digit sparkler. Pleasant party wine, but no one is confusing it for champagne.

• NV Beaumont des Crayères Champagne Grand Rosé Brut - France, Champagne (12/31/2014)
    This hit the spot on New Year’s Eve. Very fine bubbles. A nose of white chocolate mousse. Lively, with an almost creamy texture on the palate. Interesting mix of red fruits, chalky minerals and slight vegetal notes (beets?). Perfectly balanced with a long clean finish. At around $30, this is quite a value. (91 pts.)
  • 2012 Davis Family Vineyards Pinot Noir Rosé de Noir - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (1/1/2015)
    Brent popped this, he’s a big Davis fan and introduced me to their wines. Pale salmon color. Light fruit and low acid. Solid but the $50 tariff is steep.

• NV Schramsberg Vineyards Mirabelle Brut Rose - USA, California, North Coast (1/1/2015)
    Another solid showing. This bottle was 4 years old and fresh as a daisy. I’m not sure why this couldn’t age much longer. Personal preference, wish it was a little lighter on the fruit but that’s really a style preference thing.

I had a mag of Roederer Estate from their recent Magnum Club shipment. This is my go-to sparkling wine now. It’s not a substitute for real Champagne but it’s a great wine at its price point, with good body and acidity, a touch of sweetness, and fine bubbles.

Surprised that there isn’t more activity on this thread - for NYE we opened a beauty:

NV Varnier-Fanniere Champagne Grand Cru Brut - Disgorged 8/24/2011. Lovely nose of apples, pears, a hint of sherry and baked bread. Beautiful fine mousse and yellowish golden color. Lovely mix of sherry, honey and crisp apples on the palate with a mouth puckering acidity on the finish. Really, really well done.

76 Lanson (mag): from a late release that hit the market 2 years ago, an odd paradox, deep gold color but quite aggressive mousse, reminds me of older Bollinger with apple, spice and honey notes, lots of cut still on the palate, very nice.

99 Vilmart Cuvee Creation (mag): a bit simple on the nose and palate, not quite what I expect from Vilmart, but still nice enough

08 Pierre Peters L’Espirit (750): such a baby yet, tightly wound, but after a couple of hours in the glass it hints at where it might end up at maturity, if you have multiple bottles, worth a try now then bury the remainder in the back of the cellar for 10 years

02 Jose Dhondt BdB (750): a prior bottle showed poorly, hinting at a wine in decline, but this bottle and two others from the same case showed beautifully, not yet fully developed with an intriguing (to me anyway) melange of honey, spices and youthful acidity

NYE- 2005 Jose Michel Blanc de Blancs Champagne.

Big, powerful, expressive nose. Pears, biscuit & light citrus aromatics. Bright palate which follows the nose. Everything in good balance with a strong acid backbone. Clean & dry on the long finish. Loved this.
image.jpg

NV Pierre Moncuit Blanc de Blancs Brut Champagne

Floral & brioche aromatics with some hints of lemon. This is a big, broad shouldered Champagne showing a mix of biscuit & bright, ripe fruit. An almost creamy texture. Great generosity & richness here. A wine for celebration for sure.
image.jpg

Hey Scott, thanks for taking a week and driving the community along with bubbly. Didn’t have any last night, but figured I would make a salad tonight from the yard and open some bubbly. Here is my contribution:

• NV Paul Dethune Champagne Extra Brut Grand Cru - France, Champagne (1/1/2015)
    Little new year’s bubbly with the wife to ring in the year. 70 PN, 30 Chard, disgorged January 2014 and a dosage of 5 g/l. This is distinctive, with bread dough/yeasty aromatic and a yeasty toned, yellow apple and lemon peel palate. This for me lacks some subtlety, some finesse as it comes off a bit awkward with the tang and bread dough notes kind of competing. I prefer the Dethune NV Rose, which I find to be better for my palate. I plan to open another one of those this week and take a peek.

NV Gaston Chiquet Blanc de Blancs d’Ay Champagne.

The nose is open for business right away. A mix of pear & pineapple aromatics w/ some floral hints. I was expecting a fruity palate from the nose, but this was more Chablis-like. A balanced mix of fruit, acid & mineral. Crisp & fresh. Dry as it comes on the finish. Really nice.
image.jpg