Week 6 Virtual Tasting - What Bubbly you opening for NYE? - Scott Brunson for Homeless Shelter

1989 Krug. From Magnum. Photo is on the New Years Eve thread. I am not a Krug fan because I often find it bitter on the back of the palate, but this is very nice. There is a light yeasty brioche on the nose and also appears on the palate and there is a tiny but of sweetness at the bacsk of the palate that supplants the bitterness. I do not know if this is 100% chardonnay but that’s my guess. There is a bit of nutty cashew or pecan that you get from an aged chardonnay. Overall an excellent bottle. Thanks to D@vid L@zer for bringing this to our pre-Berns party at the hotel.

NV Pierre Callot Brut Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru. I had this same wine last NYE, revisited my note, and noticed that I commented the wine had a “bread forward” profile. Not this bottle. I honestly don’t know if this was from the same disgorgement or a later one. This wine was all about the citrus, especially grapefruit. The bead/mousse was very active. Almost bordering on aggressive for the first couple of glasses, but then turning silkier with air. Developed some secondary mineral components with time as well, but always in back seat mode to the citrus. Last year’s wine was a better food match. This one had aperitif written all over it.

Moutard Brut Rosé de Cuvaison NV Champagne
(Bottle purchased a couple/few years ago.) Dark pink color – as dark a rosé sparkling wine as I can remember having. Hints of red cherry and berry on the nose. Crisp and refreshing, balanced, flavorful (again, hints of red cherry and berry), strikes a very nice balance between acidity and fruit/flavor, i.e., not too lean. Long finish. Overall, just about ideal for what I’d hope for in a rosé Champagne at this price point (<$40).

Under The Wire Sparkling Chardonnay Brosseau Vineyard 2011
Reminded me of a lean/racier style of Champagne, but with distinct and unusual notes of lime skin/lime blossom on the nose and fresh lime juice on the palate. Overall, didn’t wow me, but well-made and fun to drink.

• 2002 Piper-Heidsieck Champagne Cuvée Rare - France, Champagne (12/31/2014)
    750ml; PnP; transparent medium yellow color not showing advanced age; nose of lemon, slight grapefruit, ocean air, flower; flavors of white grape, lemon and mandarin orange custard up front followed by brioche/dinner rolls followed by minerals and earthiness. Citrus and minerals hang around for minutes. I’m liking this, especially as it opens up. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1998 Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame – Seems to be very young and tight, too austere for my tastes although my wife loved it. She found some grapefruit scents. Probably a very good match with many types of food. I will wait several years before opening another bottles.

2007 Huet Vouvray Petillant
More youthful showing than the previous bottle- light yellow, steely entry, apple, hints of biscuit. Loire Chenin Blanc beeswax and lanolin notes on the finish.

NV Lucien Albrecht Crémant d’Alsace - a reliable budget bubbly, with a nice balance of tart acid, florals on the nose, and a dry herbal palate with a dollop of richness.

• NV Paul Dethune Champagne Extra Brut Grand Cru - France, Champagne (1/3/2015)
    Decent bubbly. There is a distinct raw dough aroma and flavor, it’s not bread or yeast.The warden really enjoyed that aspect, I was neutral. Fruit is yellow apple with zippy mouthfeel from the bubbles.

Posted from CellarTracker

1998 Henriot Champagne Brut Millésimé

Medium bodied, with plenty of apple, a hint of citrus, a bit of toast. Real nice for NYE.

Great stuff for the money. The rosé and the blanc. I like to let them rest for a least a year.

Jason

NV Domaine de la Taille aux Loups Triple Zero- Loire Valley, Montlouis-sur-Loire.

Nice, inexpensive chenin blanc sparkler from the Loire. Pale yellow/straw color. Pear, apple, white flower, honey and a little bread/toast on the nose. Very dry, crisp, and clean on the palate. Tart apple, very high acidity. Bright and very fresh wine. Went well with an array of leftovers including chef salad, hibachi vegtables and noodles, and a slice of pizza. Cool coincidence when I opened this bottle the Profugo package from the week 5 virtual tasting had just arrived that day, and I was really fired up that they randomly included 2 small wine glasses with the order seeing as I only had burgundy glasses on hand at the time! Put them right to use.

champagne.gif

[resizeableimage=600,400]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8565/16199167691_9a256f02ca_b.jpg[/resizeableimage]

1996 Philipponnat Clos des Goisses - Restrained mousse. Somewhat oxidized and biscuity nose. Zingy but rich lemon, peach, apple on the palate. High acid, equally great from attack to finish, great length. Superb.

OK Scott, you can tally up when every you’re ready.

Thanks to everyone who participated.
I’ll do a tally and report the results.

I count 34.
I’ll round up.

Thanks again everyone.

Thanks for starting this Scott, will take care of business in the morning.

Sorry to be a day late, the winner of a case of beer is David Bueker. I’ll PM him for shipping info.

Woo, Hoo!!! :slight_smile: