TNs: 96` Salon, 85` DRC Richebourg, white/ red Burgs, Shafer, Schrader, Dalla Valle and lots more

Our dinner group held it`s 16th annual “Millennium” event in the most appropriate private dining room, the Cork Room of the restaurant, bouchon. The wine themed room has a ceiling decorated with thousands of wine corks [see picture]. Our table was perfectly set with the proper stemware and there were side tables for the wines and ice buckets.

This dinner culminates another year of enjoying stellar wines at various restaurants throughout town on an about every 2 weeks basis.

We each ordered our own selections off of a 3 course prix fixe menu [see attached] and were served righteously by a competent wait staff member who timed everything flawlessly and went way beyond the normal call of duty of dedicated and passionate service. As preferred, we do our own wine service.

If I did receive all of the wines that were passed around the table, we had a marathon event with 23 wines for 12 people. The wines in order served:

1996 SALON BRUT BLANC de BLANC- I`ve had a few of these in the past year or so and this bottle shined more brightly than all of its other counterparts which were pretty brilliant themselves; this was so complex with layers and layers of good stuffing unfolding; it had bright acidity, tasty spicy citrus flavors and was in beautiful balance; as full on as it was, there was a gentle elegance and sophistication that pervaded throughout; this has so much more time to give up its treasures although tonight was a great time to explore it; it eventually was my #2 WOTN.

1998 HENRIOT BRUT MILLESIME- this was big and rich with nice complexity in a full body with a lot of flavors jumping out including lemon, lime, grapefruit, apple and pear.

1990 POL ROGER BRUT- the dark amber color denoted some advanced age and upon first nose and taste, it was clear that it was oxidized and it was not really in the more usual pleasant nutty, sherry like way; this bottle had passed that stage.

2002 DOMAINE LEWIS CARILLON les COMBETTES CHASSAGNE MONTRACHET 1ER CRU- an abundance of minerality speaks up first followed by a steely flint like aromatic that carries on into the taste profile; it was very smooth and had a nice spiciness that came in after the mid palate.

2009 PIERRE-YVES COLIN MOREY les CHAMPS GAIN CHASSAGNE MONTRACHET 1ER CRU- I loved this wine; it was a complete package of joy filled with fine acidity, loaded with minerals and fresh apple and pear fruit notes and transported in a pleasing soft, almost oily texture all the way to the back end.

2009 DOMAINE MICHEL CAILLOT les PUCELLES PULIGNY MONTRACHET 1ER CRU- this had a very strange nose which I can best describe as nail polish remover which suggest ethyl acetate/ volatile acidity; it`s not yet vinegar, but for me, the VA detracted from any real enjoyment.

2004 PIERRE-YVES COLIN MOREY CORTON CHARLEMAGNE- this showed decently with a taste profile of mint and baking spiced citrus and apple flavors in a light to medium body and crisp acidity.

1992 DOMAINE DUJAC ECHEZEAUX GRAND CRU- Im already salivating when I see the bottle and then after the nose, im so disappointed, it was sadly corked.

1985 DOMAINE de la ROMANEE CONTI RICHEBOURG GRAND CRU- as unhappy as I was after the corked Dujac, I was so delighted with this wine, in fact, way beyond delight; it was the consummate experience in every way; seamless, round and perfectly balanced, it hit on all sensory levels from the nice spicy wild red cherry nose, to the forest floor and mushroom accents blending together and carrying on through a long finish; there are not enough superlatives to adequately describe this wine, but one came close when he stated “ it was the best red Burgundy he had ever had”; when it was all over, it was the hands down WOTN and the voting began with what was our #2 WOTN.

2001 CHATEAU SUDUIRAUT SAUTERNES- in a 750 ml; the 2 Sauternes came around primarily to pair with the foie gras 1st course option which most selected; it had a honeyed thick texture and taste embellishing the strong green apple and peach notes and a touch of saffron; this is showing its youthful exuberance and has some maturation to go through to pull it all together.

1999 RIEUSSEC SAUTERNES- in a 750 ml; dark amber color; this is delicious with honeyed peach and apricot flavors delivered in a thick texture with forever length.

2001 CONTERNO FANTINO SORI GENESTRA BAROLO- I do not know how this came to be passed around at this juncture, but it did not pair well with my 2nd course “Salade Lyonnaise”; I drank it nonetheless; at first it was very tannic and tight, but in time, it opened up and gave up some pleasures albeit in a big and bold way; it had lots of spicy vanilla laced red, blue and black fruit; the tannins softened a bit, but the wine finished quite dry; at least it provided me with a first time experience; it was the first Barolo I`ve ever had with a salad.

2005 CHATEAU HOSANNA POMEROL- made from 80% Merlot and 20% Cabernet Franc; it was showing so youthful in color, fruit forwardness and its lack of balance; it had a lot of gifts to share however from the welcoming blast from the nose on; the structure is such to support a long and lively life span; this would have benefited from many hours of decanting.

1999 ALBAN VINEYARDS SEYMOUR VINEYARD EDNA VALLEY SYRAH- this is pretty serious extracted wine; it has a lot of bacon flavor throughout with a touch of rose petal complimenting the blueberry fruit; I understand it paired quite well with the duck and lamb dishes.

NV POL ROGER BRUT- we took a break in the action with a palate cleanser and this hit the spot; it was so refreshing and crisp, offering slightly sweetened citrus notes.

2001 KARL LAWRENCE HERB LAMB VINEYARD RESERVE CABERNET SAUVIGNON NAPA- this really shined with perfect balance, a soft and luscious mouthfeel and a delicious dark fruit profile accented with talc and spicy oak notes; it was elegant and charming and at the same time being delivered in a full body; an overall across the board delight.

2002 SHAFER HILLSIDE SELECT CABERNET SAUVIGNON NAPA- another fabulous Cabernet from this producer, this one being as good as it gets; the color was deep, dark and rich purple, the nose is so inviting and it delivers; the wine is vibrantly full on and yet with unusual finesse; it`s loaded with chocolate infused blueberry, black cherry and black currant fruit; it had a long finish and the only fault was there was some heat at the very end.

2002 DALLA VALLE MAYA CABERNET SAUVIGNON/ CABERNET FRANC BLEND NAPA- we`re on a roll with this following the 2 above; as with those 2 wines, this comes off as being very youthful; the color is a dark, deep and rich purple, the fruit profile is of very ripe black cherry, black berry, black currant with a touch of milk chocolate, talc, sandalwood and wood spice; this is very concentrated and has a very pleasing mouthfeel and a long finish; it needs time to come together and certainly has the structure and backbone to do so in a big way.

2012 CARTER CELLARS COLESIUM BLOCK CABERNET SAUVIGNON NAPA- a new producer to me and certainly a pup in the lineup of the 2 more youthful wines following, this shows real good out of the gate and promises to deliver good things down the road once all is integrated and evolved; it has some chocolate, oaky black cherry and blueberry with an almost creamy like texture; it`s vibrant and playful and dances all the way through to the back end with some power, grace and finesse.

2010 SCHRADER CELLARS RBS BECKSTOFFER TO-KALON VINEYARD CABERNET SAUVIGNON NAPA- this is majorly serious and a full on, full throttle big boy way prior to puberty; it epitomizes the iron fist in a velvet glove analogy and is really just a tease of the great expectations for this to mature into; there`s lots of spice and graphite to accentuate the ripe black fruit notes and soft tannins to allow for greater early on pleasure, but 20 years from now is the next time to go here.

2008 SCHRADER CELLARS Glll BECKSTOFFER GEORGES lll CABERNET SAUVIGNON NAPA- another major star among stars from this producer; its got everything going for it with great structure, lots of depth and complexity, loads of dark fruit, great mouthfeel and a long finish; as with the 10, it needs time and yet it is really a challenge to stay away from at this early stage.

2001 ALOIS KRACHER #9 SCHEUREBE TBA ZWISCHEN den SEEN- 7% alc.; the dark amber color is almost maple syrup like and the texture has even more of a resemblance; the flavors are of honeyed peach, apricot and papaya; it`s so rich, a little sip will do ya at a time and for a long time.

2010 TENUTA del ORNELLAIA ORNUS dell` ORNELLAIA- made from 100% Petit Manseng; this seemed a little on the green side; after a steely nose, the fruit was of honeyed mineral infused green apple; it had the expected thick and creamy texture like honey itself.

The marathon ended and we all completed it. In the category of how many wines can one maximally enjoy with dinner over a 3 hour period, the answer is just about what we had, 23.

Cheers,
Blake
Apple020.jpg
P1010087.JPG
P1010098.JPG

more pix:
P1010094.JPG
P1010091.JPG
P1010097.JPG

Wow fantastic lineup Blake! Great notes! Thanks for sharing.

I have been lucky enough to have 85 DRC Riche several times, the last time about 15 years ago. Best Riche I have ever had time and again. Great to see it still showing so well. And 96 Salon, too, what a great night!

Always love your tastings and notes, Blake!

Blake…wow. Thx for the notes!

Great wines and TNs, Blake.

That ceiling looks like quite a fire risk…

23 wines for 12 people and photos that show no either no dump bucket or one small dump bucket. Shouldn’t you put an asterisk to indicate the notes about wines you tasted when you were absolutely plastered and couldn’t tell burgundy from “hearty burgundy”?

You nailed it Alan, the Salon and the DRC were the consummate experience on this night.

Actually, I believe when the cork board was made to be attached to the ceiling, it was covered with an inflammable. Also, we have a no smoking ordinance in place which greatly reduces exposure. The Cork Room is in a separate building from the restaurant so any fire hazard from there is somewhat mitigated.

We did have a couple of dump buckets, they do show up in the pictures, and as you state, one is small. When I find someone who does not like a wine I like, I offer my glass as a dump bucket.
As to being plastered, I am building up resistance with frequency of exposure and I sip instead of gulp. Also, I go through each flight one wine at a time before diving into the food and then taste both together. That seems to help in staying somewhat focused and not burn out my palate. This dinner was a little more challenging in that we had so many big boy wines toward the end.

Great notes Blake! Last night was pretty amazing as well . . .

my take on the wines . . .

bubbles . . .
1996 Salon: still so young and lively, crisp, bright, effervescent, full of tart citrus fruit, lemon-lime; lots of life lies ahead for this beauty
1990 Pol Roger Brut: didn’t get to taste this one, or if I did, I don’t recall it; guess I was bogarting the Salon
1998 Henriot Millesime: lush mouth-feel with interesting spices and sweet red fruit; really nice

starter whites . . .
2004 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Corton Charlemagne Grand Cru: man this did not suck; starts with a strong nose of mint; Robitaille’s Candy in Carpinteria makes a white chocolate mint and this smells almost exactly like it, however, this flavor profile does not carry through to the palate which is lush with rich complex tropical fruit; could drink this all night long; absolutely incredible
2009 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Chassagne-Montrachet Les Champs Gains: incredible wine; last one from my stash and it has never disappointed; more acid than the Corton; complex with citrus and tropical fruits plus a flinty note and a wonderful line of minerality running through it
2002 Louis Carillon Puligny-Montrachet ‘Les Combettes’: could not get past the weird, nail polishy, butterscotchy off-putting nose; the mouthfeel gave the sensation of a spritzy wine, however, there was no spritz; to be fair there was an interesting crushed shell component that gave it the essence of the sea, which was very cool; others liked it a lot more than I did

reds . . .
1985 DRC Richebourg: nothing like starting the reds with the WOTN (unanimous); a brilliant wine; this is at least the 6th time we’ve had this and each time it just keeps getting better; this was the best showing by far; an experienced winemaker in the group said it was the best red Burgundy he had ever had, and no one was jumping down his throat to dispute this crown; the experience we all hope and wish for from red Burgundy; starts with an effusive bouquet of red flowers and a touch of pine forest; on the palate the beautifully expressive clean well delineated red fruit is in perfect harmony with the earthy\forest floor\mushroom flavors; perfectly integrated; it is the best of both worlds; balanced, elegant and expressive, this is why great red Burgundy is so highly sought after
1992 Dujac Echezeaux: unfortunately, horribly corked
2001 Conterno Fantino Barolo Sori Ginestra: Warrant’s ‘Cherry Pie’ immediately comes to mind with one taste of the rich syrupy dark red cherries that explode from this brilliant wine; perfectly balanced, this just kept getting better as the night went on; made sure to keep a little of this, as well as the DRC, to watch them both evolve other the night

a certain free appetizer came out which caused us to take a short break from the reds and switch to more suitable pairings . . .
2001 Suduiraut: a wonderful Sauternes; still lively with great acidity propping up sweet expressive lush golden fruit; coming along beautifully in its evolution; simply wonderful
1999 Rieussec: this is aging much faster than the Suduiraut; dark and intriguing with an almost red wine character to it; not my cuppa but others really enjoyed it; and as a palate cleanser . . .
NV Pol Roger: fabulous; lively and spry, refreshing and delicious; the perfect call for the moment

a few Lipitors later and back to the regularly scheduled programming . . .

2005 Hosanna Pomerol: loved this wine; great and acid and structure supporting dark concentrated fruit; long finish of molten black fruit as well as black licorice notes which linger; this is still just a baby; it needs more time and has the stuffing to go on for years; would love to try it in a decade
1999 Alban Seymour’s: waxy Crayola dark purple elixir; the sweet concentrated purple fruit is beautiful
2002 Shafer Hillside Select: the group’s second WOTN; been lucky enough to have experienced this beauty several times and it never seems to disappoint; a hammer in a velvet glove; explosive nose leads to an incredibly lush palate of complex dark fruit and floral notes
2001 Karl Lawrence Reserve Cabernet, Herb Lamb Vineyard: nuisanced and complex with a great backbone; layers of flavor continue to unfold and the dark fruit is perfectly integrated and balanced with interesting spices; finishes with a touch of Anise; from the incredible aromatics to the long beautiful finish, this is just a wonderful drink
2002 Dalla Valle Maya: really nice, I think I liked this more than most; Bing cherries in dark cherry syrup with bits of dark chocolate; despite its rich concentrated sweet red fruit it is not cloying in any way as it has wonderful structure
2012 Carter Cellars Coliseum Block: this hedonistic wine is bursting with decadent flavors; think sweet blueberries inside vanilla yogurt coating and you start to get the picture; Mike Smith has made yet another beautiful wine replete with velvety sweet blue fruit, crushed purple flowers and white chocolate notes; as I have noted with another of Mike’s 2012’s, this needs some time to shed its’ baby fat; a huge hit with the group
2008 Schrader George III: wow, the hits keep coming; explosive nose of dark purple fruit leads to complex spicy palate full of black and dark red fruit; silky smooth though its’ long sweet finish; despite its’ formidable structure there is not a rough edge in sight; TRB is an incredible winemaker
2010 Schrader RBS: yet another amazing red to finish out the night; cassis and dark chocolate cherries emerge from this wall of incredibly rich dark black, blue and red fruit; sheer decadence
2007 Sami-Odi: unfortunately corked as we were looking forward to trying this and someone carried this back from Australia

dessert . . .
2001 Kracher #9, Scheurbe Trockenbeerenauslese: we have never had a bad Kracher and that streak did not end; sweet plum raisons suspended in pineapple syrup; writing these notes brings a smile to my face as I re-live this wonderful wine
2010 Ornus Dell’Ornellaia: this was new to me and a completely unique and singular experience; the bouquet speaks of white burgundy, but the palate says Sauternes; wispy cotton-candy sweetness evaporates off the palate; balanced and lively, I loved it and a fitting way to end an incredible evening

The 85 DRC Richebourg is delicious and 96 salon a modern legend.

Thanks for the notes.

Cheers
Jeremy

Yeah, as the notes kept coming and coming and coming [and coming and coming and coming], I started envisioning folks ending up in the Emergency Room with alcohol poisoning.

That is a whale of a lotta booze in that room.

what better use of a $200 bottle of rare, irreplaceable wine than to tip it down your maw when Pizza Hut would taste like alba truffles?

Clearly, future events attended by Blake & his friends need to receive approval from the Committee United for National Temperance & Sophistication. I nominate Nathan & Mr. Zylberberg to head the group.

[quote=“H Bongiovi”]Great notes Blake! Last night was pretty amazing as well . . .

Henry, I always love your take on the wines and find it`s interesting to compare our notes. It looks as though I missed one of the reds you had, the corked Sami-Odi and you missed a white, the Caillot les Pucelles, both not drinkable. Our biggest challenge may be to be sure to taste all of the wines on the table and secondly, to keep our palate from being fried.

Regarding the “last night” dinner with the white truffle, I`m working on those notes and will post them soon.

Cheers my friend.

Jeremy, those were my 2 top of the evening wines although the group got the Shafer HS for #2 after the DRC.

For those who need transportation home, they take a hearse limo. I walk, not a straight line, but i do get home and have a big smile on my face.