TN: 2007 Ligier-Belair Vosne Romanee Clos du Chateau

I absolutely LOVE this little lieu-dit.
This wine is a great example of the best of this vintage.
Open knit. When I first approached this, I thought about Leroy.
It is that kind of intense and sexy! Good focus but not great like 06.
BTW, the 06 was one of the best village wines I have ever tasted in red.

2007 Ligier-Belair Vosne Romanee Clos du Chateau
A gorgeous nose that jumps from the glass. Must have some whole cluster. There is that really vibrant red fruit that is surrounded by the sexiest herbal notes.
Herbal in a very good way. The palate is seamless. Gorgeous vibrant red fruit. Spice. There is significant length here. 1er cru quality to me. I buy this stuff every vintage.

Don, agree on this wine. Always buy a few bottles every year and I think a couple of magnums in 06 :slight_smile:.

It should be a great village wine for $80! [cheers.gif]

To me, this wine is better than the Leroy Vosne Genevrieres. A village lieu-dit. Generally that wine sells for about $300 for the 06 and 07 model. It is really not quite the wine that the Ligier Belair is. If I can get that quality for $80, I am all over it.
FWIW.

See here:

post #5

Don,

Thanks for the note. How would you compare this to Mugneret-Gibourg’s village Vosne Romanee. The plot that the LB comes from looks very close to the main plot for MG VR.

I think LB’s La Colombiere plot is actually closer to Mugneret’s section, no?

Howard,
JT is correct.
This plot is in the backyard of the Liger-Belair’s house right behind the Chateau.
The winemaking styles are different. The Mugneret sisters style to me is reserved but silky. I love it but very different from Louis-Michel Liger-Belair to me. This one is full throttle on the nose and very much like Leroy in intensity. That kind of herbal note you find in Dujac, Leroy or DRC. I like that very much when it is present in balance.
I don’t really find that slight herbal note in the Mugneret sisters wine.
FWIW.

Quote from the Vosne-thread:

Right, the LB “Clos du Chateau” (Monopole) is app. 1.6 the price of MG VR ex-Domaine - quite the same as some producers VR 1er Cru … but the former has a personality and distinction - not talking about complexity and finesse - that the MG is lacking. One has simply to decide what to buy for they money.

A personal statement: I have bought quite a lot of MGs from 1988 to 1997, but abandoned purchasing thereafter and sold some bottles - simpy because I liked the style less and less … the wines had (and still have) a certain compressed slightly “hot” and alcoholic expression that reminds me on a Southern Grenache … not what I look for in a Vosne (or CV or Ruchottes-Ch …). I will not deny the quality, but it´s no more my style in Burgundy …

I was looking at this map. http://www.liger-belair.fr/vosne-romanee/en/vineyards-wines.html Isn’t the MG vineyard just behind their house as well?

Howard,
Mugneret-Gibourg has 5 or 6 village Vosne plots. They are spread out all over. 2 are very close to Clos Vougeot. One is on the border of Nuit St Georges.
They do have some fruit from Columbiere which is adjacent to Clos du Chateau and a vineyard from which Liger-Belair also sources. Not sure it is the majority component however.

That was the vineyard I was thinking of. I know that their VR is from a combination of vineyards, but I thought the one next to their winery was the majority (or at least plurality) component. Anyway, I am getting this off the point of the thread. My original question has been answered. Time to go back to Liger-Belair, an excellent producer.

Howard,
I will try to find this out.
I would like to know also.

Howard.
According to Remington Norman and Charles Taylor, you are correct that much of the Vosne comes from Columbiere. They don’'t give percentages but it must be significant for them to make that statement.
Thanks for making me look it up!

Thanks for the note Don.
I love this vineyard and LB is making a premier cru wine out of it. The 2002 is sublime and I hear the 2005 which I have but haven’t tasted yet is a knockout of a wine. I had the 2004 last Dec. and really enjoyed the wine for its finesse and Vosne spice.

Haven’t seen the 2007 yet but I will keep looking…

Thanks Don. Was quite impressed with the standard Vosne from this year also.
Best Regards
Jeremy