Zinfandel Day Tomorrow

Planning on having a 2011 Lagier Meredith tonight!

Tom: No info on the Selby wines, but was at the Rabbit Ridge tasting room in downtown Paso over the weekend. I’m not sure if the tasting room at the winery is still open; it’s a pretty fair drive from Paso for most people. The RR lineup was all over the board; didn’t see any of the Russell wines; he had a separate label when he was in Sonoma. As an aside, when he moved to Paso, he unloaded a lot of old inventory through Las Vegas; it was stacked up all over town. The RR tasting room in Sonoma was a Happy Hour operation.

Going with a 2013 Turley Kirschenmann tonight. Wanted to something Single Vineyard and of the bottles I have this seems to be doing well as an early drinker.

Lots to choose from, but will probably choose from one of these:

2012 Turley Kirschenmann Vineyard or Juvenile
2011 Turley Old Vines
2010 Ravenswood Dickerson

Picchetti 2011 SCM.

They are really good, Tom. She won sweepstakes with her SB last year and her Grenache is excellent.

The Zin I’m trying is way out of my wheelhouse these days except for the fact that we made a late harvest OVZ with some RS in 2014 and I wanted to compare it to her Bobcat, which is one of their best selling wines. I had some wines recently that I haven’t had in years that matched the tenor of our LHOVZ like Turley Juvenile and Green and Red Chiles Vineyard.

2012 Limerick Lane Russian River Valley Zinfandel

2013 Matthiasson Limerick Lane Vineyard Zinfandel

Couldn’t decide between Carlisle and Bedrock so ended up with a 2013 Bedrock Carlisle

Did you consider Carlisle Bedrock?

Yes, but I couldn’t find one [cheers.gif]

2007 Scott Harvey InZinerator

Just got a couple of cases of the 2015 Bedrock Nouveau and couldn’t resist popping a cork. I like it, a lot! Fun quaffer the will go with a broad range of foods. I might have found my turkey day red

2002 Rosenblum Cellars Zinfandel Richard Sauret

Wish me luck - CT notes sound like a bruiser!

My Bedrock shipment arrived today so I figured it was a sign. Opened the 2014 Bedrock Old Vines Zin. Just a pup, but still such a killer wine.

First time to ever Pobega a wine, ha, I guess I see the attraction.

Well, the search for my two bottles showing in CT were not where they were supposed to be. Spent a few hours working on inventory as a result. Settling for a 2011 Linne Calodo Problem Child.

A couple of months ago, I bought a bunch of 1997 DeLoach zins at auction. I was fortunate to snag many of the single vineyards, as well as the regular estate, all for between $3 and $10/bottle.

This past Monday, I decided to open the estate Russian River Valley to serve at a client meeting. It was terrible: devoid of fruit, astringent – just awful. No way were the clients going to get this, so I stuck the cork back in the bottle and put it on the side of the kitchen counter.

Tonight, after a long, crazy work day, I spotted the pretty-much forgotten bottle and decided to pour out a tiny amount “just to see” before pouring it down the drain. Wow. 48 hrs later, it is well-rounded, simple + strawberry notes in the nose and palate. Just a hint of spice and black pepper. Just a terrific wine for a Wednesday night after a long day. I’m glad I didn’t dump it on Monday night and am thinking that the $10 I pd at auction ended up quite well for me.

And, now finding out that it is Zin Day, well, how can it get any better!!!

So the 2002 Rosenblum Cellars Zinfandel Richard Sauret was interesting on pop and guzzle if not a bit too jammy. You can tell it is mellowing and starting to acquire some secondary flavors. Inevitably became a bit too much so put a cork in it.
Next batter - 2005 Ridge Zinfandel Old School is more like it. Nose is full of earthly scents, mature dark fruits, and a little cassis. Palate is mellow but interesting mature fruit, no prunes/raisins, no heat, and a fairly long aftertaste. Delicious. (This bottle has been open since Sat - vacuvined in fridge). Glad to have another!
Happy Zinfandel to all and all a good night!

I love when that happens!!

Opened a 2009 Carlisle Carlisle Vineyard without knowing about the special day. How about that.

I don’t drink much Zin, but when I do this is exactly what I look for. Huge, explosive fruit, but it doesn’t come across as jammy whatsoever. Turns a bit brambly on the finish. Excellent showing.