YOUR YEAR IN WINE 2012 -- WHAT WERE YOUR PERSONAL DEVELOPMENTS FOR THE YEAR?

I had Pappy Van Winkle for the first time. I’m not even a bourbon drinker but that was mind blowing!

discovered the joys of a margarita made w a good reposado Tequila, Cointreau, fresh lime juice and agave syrup.
Vowed not to buy post-05 red Burgs due to accepting actuarial predictions coupled w a love for aged reds and only broke the vow half a dozen times.
Passed on a couple must haves and realized that I would still live and be happy.
Cut back on wine-related posting and lurking and starting reading more fiction (Pat Conroy rocks and Steven Hunter is a thrill a minute.)
alan

Steven Hunter is one of my all time favorite authors. I rarely re-read novels, but I’ve read Point of Impact at least 3 times. Too bad Shooter was such a crap movie. Bob Lee (and his dad) is a bad ass.

As to the thread topic. Continued love for Burgundy (this thread might as well be called show your Burg love) but also an interest/fascination with Champagne that is a full fledged obscession now.

Ok, my friend, I just downloaded Point of Impact. It better be like a Dujac of a book or you’ll owe me! I’m going to read it while I finish a bottle of 1972 Pedro Ximenez.

Have a great Christmas…and see you soon.

Drank my first boxed wine. On to my third box now!

Of course, it’s not the first in “bagged” wine I’ve had (if one counts a paper sack as a “bag”). [cheers.gif]

I had thought the only really top-notch Champagne was Krug. After drinking 1996 Salon, 1996 Clos des Goisses, 1996 Winston Churchill, 2002 Lanson Gold Label, Dom, and a bunch of other notable Champagnes this year, I’ve come to the conclusion that while Krug is very good, it is not as singularly great as I had thought, and there is certainly more reasonably priced great Champagne out there.

read Dirty White Boys and I, Sniper.
alan

I will never, ever, ever again get drunk off of crap wine.

I can no longer handle most modern-styled CdP and most of it just sucks with food.

Good Muscadet is often as enjoyable for me as good Chablis.

OR Pinot now often thrills me as much or more than CA Pinot.

Cru Beaujolais now often thrills me as much or more than all Pinot.

Burgundy is so epically effing expensive.

I rediscovered the decanter. A couple years ago, I was noticing that most most any wine I was tasting, both young & old alike, always seemed to show better off the pop. A few months ago, perhaps due to noticing how lonely the ol’ decanters were looking, something compelled me to decant a 2007 Grand Cru red Burg…the aromatics soared and it just kept getting better and better. Did the same thing with a 2005 Napa Cab, same results. Baby killed a 2011 Bedrock Zin, same thing. So now I’m decanting almost everything again lol.

Open discussion of wine in public can often can result in alienation somewhat akin to open discussion of politics, religion, and sex in public.

It really sucks when your once more youthful cellar starts moving into the “maturing” phase and all you can do is forget/deny certain portions exist.

I will never, ever, ever again get drunk off of crap wine.

I entered the year with the cellar at about 450 bottles and am closing it at just under 1,000 (about capacity).
So, I’m now being much more selective about my purchases, meaning fewer and better.
Also, I’ve become that arsehole/snob who just won’t drink crapy wine. I get a fair number of bottles as gifts, etc. and keep coming up with creative ways to give them away.

As a result of an odd transaction I drank a lot (for me) of old Bordeaux, that is wines that for the most part no one ever heard of from off 60s vintages. Some were great sometimes (Ch. Lagrange Pomerol 1967) while others were not great but still of interest (Ch Tertre 1964). Mixed in were a few classics (Latour 53) that were fascinating and awe inspiring even if perhaps not perfect and worthy of what they would have cost in a normal transaction. It would be almost impossible to find such wines at any kind of reasonable price but I have some faith that the Bordeaux that I already owned (various 80s wines) might benefit from another decade or two. So while I am unlikely to purchase anything else from Bordeaux (at least anything made post 1990) due to the excessive cost and what I perceive as a stylistic change I will sit on my old Bordeaux.

I also have enjoyed a number of less pointy Italian wines and will continue to buy stuff from Piedmont outside of the high end and the more interesting to me traditional styled producers in the center and south (eg off vintage P Bea and anything from Occhipinti).

In terms of overall quantity I am still trying to gradually reduce my holdings so I will not be buying a lot but I could see the occasional grower champagne/Italian red/Loire white/German Riesling case as room opens up in my cellar.

Become an even greater Chablis whore this year and learned that I have a soft spot for Vilmart champagne. My cellar is now 10% Chenin Blanc and 23% Chardonnay/Chablis/Champagne. 3-4 years ago I would have said there is no way my cellar would consist of 33% white wine. I would love to chase red burgs, but at last it isn’t meant to be (don’t have the budget and time is not on my side) and with the Asian market starting to chase them I suppose I will not be alone. I also recently discovered what great Cabernet Keating Winery is producing thanks to the Berserkers. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to every one!!!

I’m really enjoying PoI. Will pick those up next. Thanks for the recco.

I just busted out my paperback copy of Point of Impact, gonna read it again. If you ever watch the movie “Shooter” with Mark Walburg as Bob Lee Swagger, you will be very disappointed after reading the book.

Dr. K, I did see it, and the book is waaay better. You have that hard scary look like Bob.

I knew the movie wouldn’t be able to get all the nuances from the book and would leave stuff out (all movies do), but wow, the movie do no justice at all to the book.

I have that look so nurses won’t page me all the time. Doesn’t work, they still page me.

Exciting things continue to happen in Beaujolais.

Some natural wines are drinkable.

Cabernet Sauvignon, which was my favorite wine grape when I started drinking wine 30+ years ago, interests me less and less as time goes by. No matter where it is from.

The food courses I like the most usually pair better with white wines. Except game.

Riesling is the most food-versatile wine grape.

I found that I have to be a much better planner of purchases. At nearly 550 bottles, I have essentially maxed out my storage.

I am drinking more whites than I used to. I have four different bottles of Albarino to choose from.

While I am still very Cali-centric (83.4%), my reach is getting broader. Staying with the European continent.

I had wines with good stats that tasted horrible and a 16.8 % abv wine that was incredibly balanced. There are too many other factors that to only focus on one.

It is very interesting watching my wife’s and my palate change.

I found rieslings in the spring and in the last month muscadet.

Do your best with pronunciations, but be prepared to change.

Oregon makes some great wines and it isn’t a huge challenge to find some great values.

2013 needs to have more drinking than buying if I am going to have room for the 2012 vintage. The outstanding 2011 Oregon Pinots may have something to say about that. Regardless, with Rivers -Marie Pinot/Chard, Zepaltas, a killer Venge Sauv Blanc we tasted from the barrel, the release of the 2011 Novy Papera zin and a few others, I’ve got a lot of drinking to do. I almost forgot about Berserker Day.

The generosity of the wine community about sharing bottles and especially information is amazing. With few exceptions, i skim the publications and do my real reading here and a few other places. I found more of my “must buys” on this forum or from people I met on this forum than from all the publications combined. The notable exception is the Prince of Pinot, Rusty Gaffney.

Monte

I am hoping that 2010 will similarly be my cutoff, with a few exceptions. I still will buy Ray’s wines and maybe some lesser wines for drinking early, but at some point I will have to accept reality.

Stopped buying Bordeaux and jumped on the Burgundy bandwagon.

Then stopped buying Gevrey Chambertain and started going after Chambolle/Vosne. Realized there are some pretty NSG properties and started add those to the chambolles.

Also drinking more white burgundy but finding plenty of joy drinking village level and negociant bottlings in 2009 and 2010.

Realizing I don’t like Dow’s style for vintage port.

Preferring tawny and colhieta over vintage port these days. Development in progress. Will see how this one turns out.