Your Wine:Charity Spending Ratio

It’s hard for me to estimate “charitable giving” because I give almost no money to charities (and so don’t track it for tax purposes) - most of the money I give to people is through mutual aid networks or direct cash in hand in my local community. But I’d estimate about 3:1

1:3+ for many years.

I will own up to that status. And I’m quite happy knowing every time I drink a bottle from my collection for myself or share it with friends that the money was much better spent on far more deserving people.

I am giving the benefit of the doubt that this thread was posted in good humor with no ill will or intent towards anyone. With this said, I would like to state for the record before things potentially get out of hand that nobody should ever feel guilty about spending their hard-earned money on themselves and things that they love. There is no official requirement that one has to part with one’s money to a charitable endeavor in order to be considered a good person by society. Having more than others does not equate to an obligation to others who have less. That is a personal choice everyone must make for themselves. Just because we all engage in a somewhat pricey hobby, doesn’t mean we should feel guilty about spending any amount of our own money on it or feel there’s a moral obligation to reciprocate to charity in kind. Doesn’t matter if you have 10 or 10,000 bottles in your collection.

You work hard at your job? You care for your family? Your friends? Raising good children? Supporting other businesses working hard to make a living by purchasing their wine and spirit products and associated services? Participate in this amazing board with thoughtful opinion, interesting factoids and sharp biting humor to take down a pair of law graduates who put together can’t even figure out how to open a Champagne closure that is essentially just one big staple? Then you’re already a good person in my book. You did right by society just by being you and have no further obligation or debt to it. If you’re going to give, please do it because you WANT to, not because you feel you have to.

And lest anyone judge harshly and think this post is a justification for being greedy or selfish, the only clue I’m going to give you is to please start using this thing we’re all on called the Internet and do some searching as we are all required to use real names here and I’m from Canada. That’s all you’re getting.

I try to do one charity related event with wine from my cellar each year - so it ties in wine spending and charity giving.

Giving to those who have less is kinda build into the Danish tax system, so giving to Danish charities is not really a norm here. I do spend some money each month to support food and medicine deliveries to refugees around the world though.

Socratic question!

What if you buy wine at a charity auction? Bonus points?

Thanks, this was one of the best, most thought-provoking polls I have seen on the site.

– Matt

Glad you liked it. Similar to me… came across my mind and I thought something along the lines of “oh shit…wow”

For the last 5 years I’m about 1.5 Charity for every 1 wine. But. Caveat. That’s counting what the Charity got, not what I contributed (living in a high tax state and contributing appreciated securities to a DAF makes the giving a whole lot easier). If I go with what it cost me, I’m closer to 1 Charity for every 2.5 wine.