Your Top Beers for 2012

Damn Brian- nice list. Maybe I should give those Port IPA’s another try. I got pretty frustrated with their Carbonation issues and kinda gave up on them. I read your posts on English stuff with envy as I notice that even the BrewDog stuff we get isn’t very fresh & probably not representative of the quality of those beers.

When you get back to the states, I’ll send you a Hotd Blue dot IPA- I think you’d like.

Bud,
I will try harder this year – I promise! [wink.gif]

Anthony,
Thanks for the kind words. I’ve never had a HotD IPA, so I’d gladly take you up on your offer and reciprocate in kind with something you’re interested in. [berserker.gif] And I don’t even know what carbonation issues you’re talking about w/r/t Port Brewing; of course, live in Yorkshire long enough and “carbonation issues” eventually becomes “Why is this beer carbonated?”

Port/LA beers have seemingly become a game of Russian Roulette on which will be flat. The March 2012 Hop 15 batch was among the worst offenders. To the point that I was only drinking Old Viscosity as it never seemed affected.

Ironically, as much a mark as I am for Hotd, they used to have the same problem.

Did they taste “off”, too, or were they merely lacking carbonation? Do you feel the Nose suffered as a result of no/low carbonation? I ask only b/c I’ve had tons of low/no carbonation beers that don’t suffer on the Nose or Palate as a result; of course, some of them are not intended to be carbonated in the first place, so … uh, yeah … just thinking out loud and asking a question at the same time. pileon

Not necessarily off- the Hop 15 batch from March 2012 was really flat in the bottle and the extreme hoppiness was hard to enjoy without the effervescence to back it up. Deliverance just ends up tasting like a tired port.

I was able to taste the same batch of Hop 15 on tap, and it was perfect. It seems to be a bottling issue for them.

Hmmm, that’s interesting – in a really unfortunate way. It’s always a bummer when a quality product is ruined by an easily-solvable problem. Port Brewing probably makes my favorite IPA range of any brewery in the world, with The Kernel Brewery, RRBC, and Bear Republic nipping at their heels.

I am likely heading to the beer store tomorrow, Brian, and I am going to see if they have any of these breweries that you mention like Magic Rock, Brewdog and Kernal. I’d love to find some good Rye PA’s as well- I haveonly ever had one and I liked it- but I didn’t see any last time I was there.

Pass on the Brewdog, unless you actually come across the Dead Pony Club brew. Good luck with Kernel and Magic Rock.

Odell Mountain Standard
Rush River Lyndale Brown Ale
Two Brothers Heavy Handed Wet Hop IPA
Lager: Surly Hell

I’m curious to know where you had this. Tasting room in Indy? They just started bottling, but only their regular beer lineup.

I met these guys at the GREAT TASTE OF THE MIDWEST in Madison Wisconsin last August. I represent Atwater Brewery out of Detroit and our booth wasn’t far from them - it was probably the most impressive lineup from a new brewery I’ve run into in years. I tasted a number of oak-aged offerings from them - but the EL DIABLO BLANCO ROBLE was simply magnificent and my beer of the year for 2012 - Really nice guys as well -

They are a great crew, and just celebrated their 2nd anniversary this week. They’re right down the street from Sun King, which won the most medals of any brewery at the 2011 GABF. It’s nice to benefit from their friendly rivalry.

If Atwater is going to be at Winterfest in Indy later this month, look me up!

Agree with this, thought their Wookey Jack was pretty stellar as well.