Your top 5 2008 Oregon Pinots ( price excluded)

We regularly and often talk about the best wines from a Bdx or Burg vintage knowing full well

Andrew-I don’t wish to argue with you-I know you don’t particularly care for my views either-but with all sincerity and respect, I don’t think many of “us” (whoever “we” might comprise) regularly talk about the best wines of a recent vintage of Bordeaux or Burgundy. I have seen lots of “what are you buying?” threads. Those threads are essentially “what are you gambling your hard earned dollars on” queries. Not the same IMHO. Prognosticating the best of a vintage of Bordeaux or Burgs is the stuff of Parker, Rovani, Meadows, Tanzer, et al. And there is nothing special about Oregon other than that there are some who feel that it is the source of the best domestic pinots, myself included. Unlike Bordeaux and Burg, no one critic has emerged as a noted authority on assessing a given vintage and the wines early on. At least as far as I know. Meadows might but I wouldn’t say he is relied upon very much as of yet.

That would go for anywhere inTBH. Kind of wine 101 wouldn’t you say? People in good to great restaurants are forced to buy and attempt to drink young wine all of the fracking time. If you don’t like the fracking question stay out of the fracking thread.

I haven’t poped any but have.
EW
Thomas
Brick House
Pattie Green
St. Innocent

While I always enjoy reading comments, these types of conversations are always tough for those of us who follow producer and not vintage.

Some good producers mentioned, though.

Thomas
Crowley (All)

… and whatever Bob Wood covets.

My favorites so far:
Arterberry Maresh Maresh vineyard
Scott Paul Audrey - (recently reminded me if a young Musigny)

(Yep! I’m a big fan of wines from the Maresh vineyards.)

Judging from the 2006 I just had, I’m going to go out on a limb and say the 2008 Brooks Rastaban is also likely to be fantastic.

I haven’t had many 2008’s other than those.

If you don’t like the fracking question stay out of the fracking thread.

I haven’t poped any but have.
EW
Thomas
Brick House
Pattie Green
St. Innocent

I will ignore the majority of your invective (have I said something to piss you off other than pointing out the faulty premise?), and instead simply ask you just how our new member and OP is going to get himself any '08 Thomas to sell at a restaurant? The '08 EW Cuvee J, the better BH, and most of the Patty Green are also sold out.

In no particular order:
Arterberry Maresh - Maresh Vineyard
Thomas
Crowley Gehrts
Cameron Arley’s (haven’t tried the Clos or Abbey yet)
Evesham Illahe

Why would you take the time to piss in the guys cereal? If you don’t like the question move on. Clearly, people have found this thread of value and they have responded to it. I found value in listing some of the producers I follow- and as I stated have not popped yet. Under the category of " Man invents wheel" - yeah most of the really good juice from 08 is sold out. I’m not pissed off I just found your OP to be needlessly bitchy…

What exactly is your problem? My top 5 (If I were able to limit it to 5) have nothing in common with his. Statement of fact.

Why not just say them then? Your response conveys the image of smug guy rolling his eyes, saying “Your top 5 and my top five have nothing in common.” Definitely a feeling of superiority in the post.

Jesus. Tough crowd. I think I’ll go back to bed.

Or actually contribute something useful on a subject you ostensibly care about.

Your call.

A.

[rofl.gif]

Listen to the boy scout… [cheers.gif]

Jeez ,Mrs Cleaver,I didn’t mean anything by it… [snort.gif]

Okay, guys, you’re right. I was just trying to be a dick for the hell of it. Have your fun while it’s still April 1, but I’m gonna go argue with Roy Piper about spoofilated cabernet. [suicide.gif]

Maybe I’m just being sensitive, and I probably wouldn’t have posted anything had SL Clayton not spoken up, but as I first read this thread I couldn’t help but think “Man, this was a totally simple question that got needlessly grumpy/argumentative/smug real fast.”

If a new guy pops in to ask a Top 5 2008 Oregon pinots question, why not just meet him on that level and answer the question? Either that or offer no reply at all. Sure qualifying answers is going to happen, but comments like some above just sort of read with an upturned nose and smug grunt. I would agree that its too early to tell, but as one person pointed out earlier, we wine lovers make a point of speculating on wines based on too early tastings all the time. What’s so different here? Either way mine are below:

• Westrey’s Abbey Ridge/Oracle
  • Cameron’s Dundee Hills/Gehrts (haven’t yet had ClosElectrique or Abbey Ridge but have high hopes there too)
  • Thomas’s (not going to be able to get on restaurant list, but hey, original posting didn’t qualify that requirement anyway…)
  • Dusky Goose
  • On a different but also enjoyable side of the spectrum, I really enjoyed much of Lemelson’s lineup

also looking forward to tasting more of: Bethel Heights, Cristom, and Belle Pente’s Reserve

Well I am lucky that I get to taste and sell lots of these wines here locally. I got to attend the Chehalem Mountain AVA trade tasting last Monday. So here are 5 of my favorites from 2008 in no particular order.

Le Cadeau Equinoxe
Le Cadeau Diversite
Seven of Hearts Crawford Beck Vyd.
Styring Estate
Ayoub Estate

The other surprise at the Monday tasting was a 2007 Cabernet Columbia Valley from Styring called Shameless. The fruit came from Hermiston. I thought that this was excellent Cabernet at about $35. It had everything from aromatics, beautiful full fruit but still great balance. No oak bomb here,

Mike, I’m shocked by a couple of things. The first is that Crawford Beck is in the Eola-Amity Hills, so why it would be included in the Chehalem Mountain tasting is a mystery. The second is Styring. I visited there when they released their first wines and, putting it mildly, they were crap and horribly overpriced to boot. I think I have a pretty good handle on your palate and I respect it, so I’m astounded - past being prologue and all - that you found their wines appealing.

I’m wondering what changed.

Better than the Dijonnais or just more accessible? You got to pound those 03s and 06s, wasting valuable rack space!

RT

I should have mentioned that the Seven of Hearts was not tasted at the Chehalem tasting but it certainly fits in my favorites. This is the first time I had ever tasted Styring and I thought the 2008 Estate was great. Also I tasted the Ayoub Pinots with Mo on Saturday when he came by my store. I just through in the Monday tasting as it was a great way to compare within the Chehalem AVA. I look forward to other AVA tastings as they schedule them.

This thread needs a 10% saignee / no water back!