Your thoughts on these old wines

I’d ‘pop and pour’ the '79 Batailley. There’s nothing more interesting that watching a wine like this grow in the glass. While the Chateau was over cropping and producing fairly commercial wine in the late 1970s, it’s still a top sight wine from Pauillac and a better than good vintage.

Warren, I rarely discuss Champagne, but a couple that I brought to dinners were a 1996 Salon and a 2006 Comtes de Champagne Rose and each one was stunning. I opened a 2006 Pol Roger Brut the other day and I had to check the label that it wasn’t the Winston Churchill I pulled. It was that good.

gotta pour it off the sediment. That’s all I meant

champagne.gif

Had the 2000 Daumas Gassac the other day. A very good wine with decades left in it. Had it alongside the '83, which was also in great condition! (Though I’ve had a bit of bottle variations with the '83s lately, ranging from superb to shot.)

I have not had the 2006 Comtes Rose, but I have had the white 2006 Comtes on multiple occasions and have loved it - I keep buying more every time Envoyer gets a new shipment. The Rose must have been a real treat. champagne.gif

The Daumas Gassac would be the one I would choose. It is drinking well now with plenty of time in hand. It is also an eclectic interesting wine to boot.