Your ten most influential wines

1985 Palmer | The bottle that got me hooked (in 1999 or so).

1970 Richebourg, Groffier-Leger | Stunning strawberry madness - suddenly I got what all the fuss was about.

1983 Scharzhofberger Auslese, Hohe Domkirche (smashed on the floor and drunk through a straw) | Why hasn’t anyone told me about this, and why is everyone drinking their riesling dry??!!??

1986 Chablis Grenouilles, Louis Michel (magnum) | Taught me that chablis can age. Still the best chablis I have had.

1943 Monfortino/1923 Clos de Beze (same sitting) | So… when people tell you wine has a natural lifespan - it’s just bullshit?

1978 Savigny Serpentieres, Pierre Guillemot | Wow - so this is what a ‘lighter’ Burgundy can do… Still one of the best bottles of my life.

NV Marc Bredif Vouvray Petillant (early 1960s) | ???how is this so young and effortlessly elegant???

1962 Lafite (magnum - leaked in transport) | I sat smelling the plastic wrapper for 40 minutes.

NV Veuve Grenier Champagne (bottled early 1950s) | Got me into old NV champagne. A sublime drink!

1961 Gruaud Larose | Speechless - how can the cork still smell so strongly a month later…?

1971 Robert Mondavi Johannesburg Riesling - My parents had just returned from an ill-fated assignment in Paris, and had switched from Gin and Tonics to wine. My first introduction to wine, and I liked it.
1974 Beaulieu Vineyards Georges des la Tour - This was my first really good red wine and started some experimentation with Cali Cab.
1983 Oregon Pinot Noir - I can’t pick just one (back in those days you could taste them all in one sitting) they were all really good.
1983 Tualatin Vineyards Chardonnay - First wine where I bought multiple cases, and started my love affair with Chardonnay.
1976 Bischofliche Priesterseminar Kaseler Nies’chen Auslese - Had this in about 1988, and was surprised that white wines could age that long. Shows how much I knew! Superb Riesling.
1987 Lytton Springs Zinfandel - First real foray into serious Zin.
1995 Ramonet Chassagne Montrachet Caillerets - I’d had a number of White Burgundies, but this was my first “wow” bottle. I bought half a case (Oregon’s allotment), and by the time I got to the last one 6 years later it was premoxed. [swearing.gif]
2000 Domaine Tempier Bandol - This opened my eyes to looking a little off the beaten track for great values.
1990 Krug - Champagne is pretty good too, and maybe some bottles are worth more than $100.
1996 Brick House Gamay Noir - I had been a fan of Doug’s Gamay for a while, but I had a chance to try this wine, straight from Doug’s cellar in 2008 and it blew me away. I had no idea that Gamay could age that well. A true epiphany wine.

Through the 1980s I was in medical school, residency, and Fellowship. I was poor and I drank beer. In 1990 I started my practice and frequently would go down to K&L and buy 2 or 3 cases of good California Chardonnay at a time. In 1998 we moved to Marin County and our new house came with a wine cellar. I decided I needed to fill it up. The guy who sold me the house told me that every year he would buy case of wine Spectators top 5 wines and keep them in the cellar. this seemed way to simple so I went to the bulletin boards on the internet, my rabbit hole. This led me to Premier Cru, K&L, and the lists. Over the next 15 years I bought a lot of wines. Still waiting for palate evolution at 60. thank god I still love those early bottles.

Beaucastel 1998 - this was my first wow wine it was completely different than the California wines I had been drinking. I wen•t back and bought 18 bottles still love that wine today.

Kracher #7 1997 WOW I had never put my nose to anything like that before. Put me on a Sticky quest.

Lynch Bages 2000 Bordeaux for $50 Good then good now

Pride Cab 2001 I bought two cases of this wine and loved every bottle

Zind Humbrecht 1998 Brand Thanksgiving in a bottle

Pichon Lalande 1982 Same as everyone else with this

Quilceda Creek 2001 Guilty pleasure

Insignia 2002 $80 bought 3 went back for a case

Kistler 1999 Cuvee Cathleen OMG White wine can be good. Aubert 2004 Quarry Man I wish Mark still had this source

Shafer 2001 Hillside and especially Sunspot

Krug 1998 My dad always said he hated Champagne until I served him this

Carlisle 2007 Papa’s block, Alban 2005 Lorraine Hooked me on Central Coast Syrah

I have had hundreds of pinots from France, Oregon and Cali Many good but none changed me

1985 Ridge Geyserville: First really top notch wine I had. With pizza, because I had read that you could drink Zin with pizza. I still remember the huge nose. (~1987)

1979 Gruaud Larose: My first classes growth Bordeaux purchase, which I agonized over for a long time as it was $20. I couldn’t believe all the aromas, so different from other wines I’d had. (~1987)

1984 Silver Oak Alexander: Bought it because my wife liked the label. We loved the wine and bought more. These aged really well. I still have a soft spot for S.O. though I don’t drink it in public. (~1988)

1983 Closel Savennieres Clos du Papillon: My first aged white, though maybe only 8 years old or so. It was a real eye opener. (~1988)

1979 Ch. Margaux: First Bdx 1st Growth, my brother’s bottle. We drank it on ski vacation in Utah. (~1989)

1983 Yquem: On our honeymoon at a restaurant, a huge pour for $40. Crazy good wine. (~1990)

1985 La Conseillante: Marks the exact sweet spot of my Bordeaux taste. I’ve had it three or four times and have a bottle left. (~1993-2010)

1983 Trimbach Frédéric Emile VT: Best white wine I’ve ever had. Amazing. (~2000, ~2012)

199x Groffier Amoureuses: Some people in my wine group served several of these before I knew anything about Burgundy, and eventually I decided I had to start exploring. ((~1995-2010)

1985 Gerard Mugneret NSG Chaignots: The Burgundy that really threw me down the rabbit hole. Possibly my favorite producer now. (2011)

1986 Chave Hermitage: Not the best Chave I’ve had, but the wine that best showed why you should follow great wines in lesser vintages. I had this for my 50th at Chez Panisse and it was just beautiful. (2012)

Edit: Realized I forgot Selosse Initial, which was the Champagne that convinced me I should actually buy Champagne. (~2013) And also realized that I was already at 11. 12 now. Oh, well…

Edit to add approximate dates.

A few for now, I’ll think of another 6 later.

96 Dom; there was scads of this at Costco back in the day and I’ve mostly drank through it, unfortunately.

Krug MV (158eme) not labeled as such but 2002 base. This is the first champagne my wife ever had, all downhill from there, almost haha.

2001 Rieussec: another Costco stockup, love this wine.

1990 DRC Romanee Conti: I was served this in HK in the mid 2000s by a uberwealthy Chinese businessman who told me it was his favorite wine and one of the few he found better alone than mixed with Pepsi… :open_mouth:

1. Luc Pirlet Merlot somewhere in the mid-90s. Made me take a closer look at French wine, led me to get a part-timne job at the Princeton Corkscrew.

2. Darviot-Perrin 1993 Volnay with a few years age. At the time $30, and a mind-blowing sum for me to spend. Kinda not very good on day one, but after a roaring New Jersey storm made it impossible to leave the house, I ended up revisiting the bottle and having my mind blown. Been stuck on Burgundy ever since.

3. Thunder Mountain 1996 Chardonnay - can’t remember the exact vineyard, but 96 point from Wine Spectator! The owner of the Princeton Corkscrew tried to shield us from scores, because he wanted us to develop our palates and sell wines on our convictions (love Laurent for that to this day), but I would get online in the early days, saw the press on this one, realized we had it. I took it home and couldn’t finish a glass. I learned that scores are as subjective as stars on movie reviews.

4. Diebolt-Valois Blanc de Blanc Champagne - the first great grower bottling I ever had. I got in on that before it was a thing, and I really helped make it happen in my new KC home.

5. DRC 1993 La Tache - My first DRC. The story behind this bottle is epic (I still have the empty) - (TL;DR) it involved a love triangle that was really a quadrangle. Tasting that bottle led to accessing to private tasting group where I tried so much epic wine from a couple of collectors who started before I was born.

6. Ch. d’Yquem 1989 (375) - with the Foie course from the same private dinner. In wine and life both, that night changed me forever in a good way. I have had many great examples of the wine since, but that one was like sitting in a dark room without realizing it, and then someone turns on the light switch.

7. DRC 1969 Romanee-Conti - Stunning wine with the original, heart-breaking price tag on the label.

8. Chateau de la Tour 1961 Clos de Vougeot VV Chevalier de Tastevinage bottling via Pierre Morin - this and the DRC took my wine experiences to a new level. I would give this one the slightest nod over the 69 DRC RC. This tasting group found a case or two of this and it was always amazing and the riposte I had whenever someone talked crap on the Clos.

9. DRC 1929 Richebourg - Well-sourced. Brilliant.

10. Clos de l’Orotoire des Papes 1926 CdP - Opened on a night of endlessly failing oddball, ancient Burgundies. Opened to “change our luck.” Stunning bottle bouquet. There are great wine experiences where everyone stops talking so they can embrace the wine - this was that.

#4 Would be a Diebolt-Vallois (2 ll’s) , but thanks for the call out ! neener [snort.gif]

A few come to mind. There are others to round out 10.

1974 and 1976 Latour, and 1976 Lafite, in 1995. All three wines were first for me, in Bordeaux and I did not know the significance of these two producers/ three wines at the time. I do recall my father and his friends saying, “wow, small pour!” once I drank, rather quickly the initial taste they gave me, knowing I truly enjoyed this unique experience. This tasting/afternoon ignited a my current passion with wine.

1978 Silver Oak, Alex (Mag), in 1998/1999. Genuinely delicious wine and gave perspective on late 70s Napa wines.

1985 Chave Hermitage, in 2001/2002. Blew me away, first experience with Chave and loved then and love today the sauvage, violet, sweet fruit.

1999 Linne Calodo Bone Rock, in 2005. Delicious wine(!) and this wine exposed me to Paso and the foundation (I suppose) of Justin Smith.

2004 Artadi Rioja Viña el Pisón, in 2015. Fantastic wine, initial experience to Tempranillo and subsequently began to drink much more tempranillo (cellar too). Bonus was a sick party with DrewT and D. Lown

1974 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Riserva, Santo Stefano, in 2016. Loved this wine, fragrance of gingerbread, orange zest with what seemed burgundy like sous bois.

A fascinating thread, assuming that our tastes are evolving and our relationship with wine is likewise evolving.

1. 1985 Coudoulet de Beaucastel–my initial introduction into wine as something more than a buzz.

2. 1975 Haut Brion

3. 1976 Domaine Leflaive Batard Montrachet–first experience with wine at this level. Both enjoyed at the
    same meal celebrating my wife’s passing her PhD Comprehensives.

4. 1990 Beaucastel Chateauneuf du Pape–tasted mid-80’s with one of the Perrin brothers at a sales
    meeting.

5. 1994 Dominus–still my benchmark California Cab

6. 1994 Muga Torre Muga–tasted late 90’s at a roast suckling pig dinner with Jorge Ordonez.

7. 1969 DRC Romanee-Conti, 1970 DRC La Tache, and 1969 Domaines Jaboulet-Vercherre Clos De
    Vougeot–on a very memorable April 2011 afternoon where the Jaboulet edged out the DRCs

8. 2007 Anthill Farms Comptche Ridge Pinot Noir–my intro to California Pinot Noir

9. Jacques Selosse Rose–my first step down the slippery slope of serious Champagne

10. 2005 Quilceda Creek Cabernet Sauvignon–yes, I know the oak and the extraction are not hip, but
    this is a serious guilty pleasure and my 15 year vertical will someday be ready to drink.

1/
Ripe fruit and sunshine in a bottle, I had just moved to Sydney from NZ and couldnt believe the ripeness of the fruit.

2/1973 Penfolds Grange
Not really a famous vintage but this was a wine that taught me a lot about the aging potential of Australian Shiraz.

3/ 1982 Pichon Lalande
mind blown, OK I get it now

4/1978 DRC RSV
I swear I could hear the angels singing when I was drinking this, down the Burg rabbithole

5/ 1966 Clos des Papes CDP
a friend of mine bought this round one night and we sat on the balcony and drank it, it was really good

I’m more impressed with the timing of this experience than the participation of one of the Perrins.

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

Yeah, that would have been particularly special. Sorry, fingerfart flies again. should read mid 90’s.

Off the top, not in any order and probably with many omissions:

• 1961 Petrus
  • 1985 Sassicaia
  • 1990 Grange
  • 1990 Massetto
  • 1937 Chateau Latour
  • 1985 Williams Selyem Rochioli Pinot Noir
  • 1994 Au Bon Climat Isabelle Pinot Noir
  • 1985 Vega Sicilia
  • 1996 Salon
  • 1870 Whitwhams Vintage Port or 1875 Blandy Sercial Madera

and I have to add 1985 Guigal La Turque or La Landonne or La Mouline
and now I remember a 1981 Taittinger CdC in magnum, 1937 Inglenook Zinfandel, 2001 Switchback Ridge Petite Sirah, 1996 Dom Perignon [and 1976] and Krug [also the 1990], 1988 Sanford Barrel Select Chardonnay, 1978 DRC Montrachet and more are still coming in.

Thanks for the re-stim.

77 Jordan for the Giant’s '86 playoffs that a friend brought
86 Pierre Morey Genevrieres and Perrieres- my first mindblowing white burgs
78 DRC Richebourg started me on the path of red burgs
85 Lynch Bages 1st Bordeaux I bought in quantity- think we drank through 25 cases.So delicious when it was young
82 Haut Brion served by a good friend from Sydney in '89/90
57 Musigny Jadot on my first trip to Burgundy- such a beautiful wine considering the yr
76 La Mouline that started me on the path to northern Rhone
70 Vega Sicilia -my first spanish wine and OMG, what a fabulous wine.Bought what i could find on release around '95
71 La Tache/Romanee Conti up there with the greatest wines I’ve been privileged to drink
In 2000 a tasting of 25 vintages of Chateau Latour ( back to 1863 , incl 1900,29,45,59,61,) at Christies in NYC
got me totally addicted to old Latour
29 RC/37 La Tache in mag with friends in Burgundy celebrating my 50th in 2007
71 La Tache Jero in Toronto for a charity event about 4 yrs ago that was a top 5 bottle of all time

Many thanks to Mark Golodetz for this thread, the responses it has prompted and the memories it has evoked.

NV Louis Martini Mountain Burgundy (from half gallon) – About 1960, when my compatriots were drinking a German beer called Lowenbrau, or rum, preferably 151 proof. I found this much better than either. Sadly don’t remember who first offered it to me.

NV Gallo Zinfandel (from gallon) – In 1963, when I entered college. During the Monday night poker game, a guy won a pot and threw a dollar at the guy old enough to buy. He said “Next week, buy the gallon of Gallo Zinfandel instead of the Gallo Burgundy, it’s a buck more and worth it”. I don’t remember his name, but I owe him. After the guy threw the dollar, I paid attention to the Gallo Burgundy in my glass, then the next week to the Zinfandel. OK, I got it. In those days, probably 100% old vine Sonoma.

1970 Chateau Leoville-Las-Cases – In 1973. Myron was one of the people in the group hippy house, his dad gave him a mixed case of Bordeaux 2nds for Christmas. Myron was leaving for Alaska, knew I liked wine, gave me the case and told me not to touch anything for at least 10 years. The day after he left, I cracked this. Could barely gag down a glass of what I thought was Ptrid Swll. Left the rest of the bottle on the kitchen counter. Nobody touched it. The next night, the light bulb went on.

1947 Jadot Beaune 1er Cru ‘Avaux’ – About 1973, bought from Calvert Liquors in D.C. (now Calvert-Woodley). Just stunning. Lurid pale orange color, fresh as a daisy, to coin a hackneyed phrase, with incredible layers of density and no sign of age or decay.

NV Foppiano Petite Sirah (from half gallon) – Bought a few years later, jug-handle with a screwcap. I was impressed, bought a case of six, decided to lay them on their side in my basement and age them for 10 years. Opened one mid-‘80s, I wasn’t rating at the time but easily mid-90s. Called everybody I knew who liked wine and went through the case in two weeks.

1976 Chateau Palmer – Served to me and Sally at lunch at Chateau Palmer, early 90s. Then again, opened blind about a year later by Robert Parker during dinner at his house. Me and David Schildknecht asked to identify. Hem and Haw. Sally states “It’s ’76 Palmer”. She wasn’t asking a question. Parker’s jaw drops to his waist. Mine drops to my knees.

1953 Maximin Grunhaus Abtsberg Natur (from 375ml) – Early 90’s, served blind at dinner by Carl von Schubert to me and Robert Parker at my Chinese friend Stuart Berman’s Mandarin Cafe in Silver Spring Maryland. Parker, a good taster, says he thinks this has some bottle age, probably mid 1980s. I’d been to Grunhaus and thought I knew better, guessed 1971. Hey, better off by 18 years than 32, I guess.

1960 Gemello Santa Clara Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, signed (“made by me” Mario Gemello) – Purchased at the Gemello store behind the bowling alley in Mountain View sometime in the late 70’s. Consumed in the mid 2000s. Perhaps the greatest California Cabernet I’ve ever had. Much as I love Pinot and Burgundy, there is something about fine-grained density that speaks, no, roars to me.

1961 Hermitage ‘La Chapelle’ Jaboulet-Aine (from 375ml)
Consumed in 1982 at the greatest wine dinner of my life, at Vivarois, a now defunct Michelin *** in Paris. For apps, Sally had curried oysters, I had fois gras. I ordered a VT Gewurz. When I ordered it, the sommelier, who looked and walked like Charlie Chaplin, looked like he’d been hit by lightning. I had picked the only wine on the list that worked with both apps, Gewurz for the curry, VT for the foie gras. The exchange went like this, in mixed bad French and English:
S: “You like wine?”.
D: “Yes!”.
S: “I have some good half bottles in the basement, not on the list, shall I bring some?”
D: “Yes, but I’m on a budget”.
S: “I will not hurt you.”
D: “Bring ‘em!”
This was one of the immortals (probably still is, if you can find it). Sorry to leave out the 1976 Leflaive Batard, the 1971 Long-Depaquit Les Clos, the 1969 Lamarche Grand Rue and the 1964 Cheval Blanc, all billed for $50, that’s total, not per 375ml.

1959 Domaine Pegau Chateauneuf-du-Pape – I cooked a duck at Pegau, by invitation. This was early 2000s, I can’t be more precise. Paul and Laurence were battling as always, up and down to the cellar. Just before dinner, Laurence came up to me, eyes wide, and said “There were five bottles of 1959 down there, now there are four!!! No label on the bottle. This is to Chateauneuf what the 1960 Gemello was to Cabernet. A monument, with harmony and subtlety. Hands down the greatest Rhone varietal I’ve had.

I see that there’s only one white wine and no Champagne on this list. But I’m defining the important moments, not the greatest wines. Today I drink about 1/3 each red, white, pink. That’s not counting bubblies.

There are things more important to me than wine, but wine has defined much of my life, providing punctuations, as well as my livelihood. I am grateful, not as much to the beverage as to the people who make it and the people who love it.

Dan Kravitz

LOL

The '83 and '85 Tualatin Chardonnays are still, to this day, the finest Oregon Chardonnays I have ever tasted.

Thank you, Mr. Kravitz for your insightful post, your passion, and the many wines I’ve consumed and recommended with your name on the back label. I recall tasting many of your wines with you when I worked retail in New Jersey during the 90’s. Can’t recall a single instance where your selections didn’t grace the table and impress the customer for their quality and value.

Lots of great lists and fun stories in this thread…but just wanted to say this was an awesome post Dan. Cheers!