Your Second-Favorite Wine with Scallops

Are the scallops deep-fried with a buttermilk and jalapeño breading wrapped in bacon? Then I vote Sauterne.

Hhmmmmm …
Have you done that?!!?

Nah…but it COULD be interesting! [snort.gif]

Just on the butter note, 2009 Zind-Humbrecht Pinot Gris Clos Windsbuhl; like buttah! Coffee Talk: Liz Rosenberg and Barbra Streisand - SNL - YouTube

Northern Rhone Blanc goes great with seared scallops

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Ceritas chard, of course.

Southern Rhone Blanc (CdP) can go pretty well, too.

-Al

Etna Bianco (carricante).

The variety of answers is not surprising — it’s harder to think of good whites that don’t work well with scallops than to think of ones that do.

For me it’s Sancerre all day long.

I went with the Chidaine. It was good (and still is, as I write this :slight_smile: ), but something leaner would have been better. Like Champagne. or Chablis. pileon … next time! …

Thank you to all who chimed-in so quickly. FWIW, the scallops were quite good. Seared in brown butter. light salt and pepper. fennel fronds and roasted corn. Champagne would have been killer … !!

If I had to choose a Chidaine for scallops it would without a doubt be Les Argiles which I think is the driest and most linear and acidic of them. The richer styles would not be something I consider ideal for scallops.

The Breuil is, allegedly, the driest of the lineup. And it is dry, but it comes with a moderately rich flavor. The '15 Breuil would have worked better — that one is sharp like a razor!

… side note: I considered subtracting the fennel and adding the slightest little sprinkle of nutmeg to the scallops, but ultimately decided against it b/c I was worried even a whiff of nutmeg would be too much. But i’m still intrigued by the idea … thoughts from the gallery?

My 2nd would be Roulot Perrières [wink.gif]

Scallops sweet enough already. No need to add sweetness through nutmeg.

No need to kick yourself as this will solve your problem very effectively.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VZ8RGS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I drink Pinot Blanc, like Trimbach, quite often at restaurants when I order scallops. Quite a nice pairing.

When you added the roasted corn element, I went to Leflaive - the Chidaine was my choice up until that element. I adore Chidaine’s wines.

Cheers,
fred

Barrel aged white Rioja. Like Lopez de Heredia or the very well priced Conde de Vademar. I also would suggest a Pieropan Soave.

Well, having once tasted through the whole line-up Les Argiles certainly felt the driest to me, probably then because it was less concetrated and not as ripe-fruited as the others.