Your pick: red Burg's 10 best vineyards

I think griotte gets a bit unfairly overlooked. When you look at the quality of what Fourrier, Dugat, Ponsot, Roty, Drouhin etc produce there it’s a very good GC.

1st 7 are easy:
Romanee-Conti
La Tache
La Romanee
Musigny
Richebourg
Romanee St.Vivant
Chambertin & Ch-Clos de Beze

now it´s a matter of preference:
Clos-St.Denis
Cros Parantoux
Grands Echezeaux

… although Clos de la Roche, Echezeaux, Bonnes-Mares and even Clos de Vougeot can produce really fine wines, they are too large and therefore inconsistent across different producers.

Agreed on CdlR’s expansions making it confusing and a bit watered down. However, if you were to assume that Ponsot, Dujac, and Lignier primarily represent the vineyard (Rousseau and Leroy don’t do it any shame either) it should probably be in, certainly ahead of CSJ.

Skyline
Clos Saron Home
Sanford & Benedict
Bien Nacido
Rochioli
Shea
Allen
Hirsch
Kiser
Keefer

[cheers.gif]

I guess Falstaff is too producer dependent?

Although it´s tight, but whenever I had the CdlR and CSD of Dujac or Ponsot side by side I had a slight preference for the latter (CSD)… simply more elegant and complex (although less powerful). I think I understand why the inhabitants choose it for the village-name. Never had a CSD of one of the Ligniers.
I´m not really fond of the CdlR of Rousseau - compared to 4-5 of his other Crus …

CSD is the finesse wine, the Musigny of Morey. CDLR I think is actually more complex, but a wild earthy, animal complexity - the Burgundy grand cru for Hermitage drinkers, along with some of the Gevrey vineyards.

Say, don’t you often complain about seeing AFWE/Eurocentric-palate viewpoints in New World threads? Or am I thinking of someone else?

For the OP, I can’t say that I have enough experience with the top vineyards to have an informed opinion.

My experience with the heavyweights of Burgundy is also rather limited. I did, however, get the chance to scoop up 5 bottles of '97 Drouhin CSD last year. Those were some delightfully elegant wines with crisp, red fruits and floral for days.

I’m with Gerhard and Keith in preferring CSD to CdlR, in the same way I often prefer Beze to Chambertin, although all four can be fantastic of course.

Cheers,
-Robert

Okay, not too hard to accept those and play along with the remaining 3 openings.

So with my limited experience, I’d say the bottles I’ve most enjoyed came from Clos de la Roche (Ponsot, Potel from the 90’s), Echezeaux ('83 Drouhin), and Chapelle-Chambertin (90’s Ponsot and Jadot).

Got a little love for Corton le Rognet too since Ambroise’s '95 is what really finished the job of crossing me over from Cabernet.

Yep.

Why are we considering Chambertin and Clos de Beze one vineyard?

So people don’t have to make hard decisions about cutting something from their top 10

1- La Tache
2- Romanee-Conti
3- Richebourg
4- Chambertin Clos de Beze
5- Musigny
6- Romanee St. Vivant
7- La Romanee
8- Clos Saint Denis
9- Mazis-Chambertin
10- Grands Echezeaux

On the bubble

Cros Parantoux
Malconsorts
Corton Clos du Roi
Les Amoureuses
Clos Saint Jacques

I think this is fair as the Beze can be labeled as Chambertin, so technically the entire vineyard can be Chambertin

Same with Charmes / Mazoyeres.

I understand that, but unlike with Mazoyeres (where most wines are labeled Charmes), I doubt that many wines from Clos de Beze are labeled Chambertin. If anything, and again in contrast to the other example, Clos de Beze has a better reputation than Chambertin so that the only reason for doing this would be if you had a small plot in Clos de Beze where it is uneconomic to make the wine separately. And, even in this thread, people have pointed out differences between the wines of the two vineyards.

This seems more likely.

Where’s Rocche del Falletto and Cascina Francia?

I apologize, I meant it solely as levity, not as some kind of argument about domestic v. French pinot. Maybe it was a bad idea. I have nothing but respect for great Burgundy wines and vintages, even if my budget does not allow much experience of those top Burgundy vineyards.