Your opinion of Kobalt Napa Cabs?

And Darhms Lane (spelling?) That’s where the Petit verdod is from.

Karl Lawerence.
Check out winebid you can find the best deals.
And as for the Oakville East I bought 6 bottles of the 2006 vintage on winebid for $35 a pop.
Plumpjack
Venge

+1 for O’Shaughnessy

Merrill, I just paid $35 for the 2006. The 2005 was something like $50. The 2007 I purchased lately was slightly more.
I probably should have reworded my post. Sorry.

Wow - I have not had the wine, but my recollection is that its debut was at a minimum $100, and I have seen it locally for that much. If I am not incorrect on that, then you got a very, very good price.

I’m really enjoying reading this discussion but my credit card is cringing in the corner!

Rick

Mike…no Two Hands??
Sisters
Rivers Marie
Vineyard 29 Cru
Rudius
Conn Valley Cab Reserve
Have to be the top around $50 cabs in 07
I agree with Outpost, Bucella, Eloge
I would add 06 and 07 Caymus (reg bottling)

I thouht about it for a second but figured why bother since it’s no longer available at retail.

I just ‘found’ more though… [cheers.gif]

Interestingly enough, I knwo a guy that knows a guy that knows a guy that purchased 2008 Two Hands ‘Some Days Are Diamonds’ so maybe there is some 2008 Chalies in the pipeline yet to come at us? Until then my 31 bottles will have to suffice… [snort.gif]

Roy - I think that that is a very accurate exposition of the character of Coombsville fruit - and what I like about the fruit in this cooler Napa site. I’ll add that in cool years the same thing is true. In 2010, three of the four vineyards I use came in, iirc, at or below 23 brix - and picking was done as late as the first week in November and no earlier than mid-October. The proximity of the San Pablo Bay moderates both summer and winter temperatures and helps also to preserve acidity.

I’m a big fan of Kobalt (and Coombsville/Herold-era Merus) and they were two of the wines that inspired me to undertake my project.

Disclaimer - 80% of the fruit for my Napa cabernet sauvignons comes from Coombsville. [cheers.gif]

PS - Mike, I believe Merrill is absolutely correct about the Oakville East Exposure. I think you’re confusing it with the Oakville Ranch wine.

absolutely

From this past Monday. The '05 went for $45 I believe. There were multiple lots…
2006 Oakville East Exposure Cabernet Sauvignon
Auction ended 3/6/2011 7:00:00 PM

Item # I3471633

Available 1

Current Bid $35
High Estimate $35

Format Individual bottles

Size 750ml
Provenance Removed from a professional wine storage facility

Inspection Lightly soiled label

Actually you are both correct. At retail, Merrill is spot on. At auction, it seems to have taken quite a fall from its release price.

I had the '05 around Christmas of '08 and found it nearly undrinkable for the first three hours. After that it started to open up into something pretty interesting, though not really my style. My in-laws loved it however, so it was, therefore, a perfect bottle! [whistle.gif]

With young Kobalt, I open it up at lunch time and hope its ready for dinner. Needs 4-6 hours min. or what you experienced is spot on, way too much of everything. But once it opens uip, its a nice wine. Really meant to be aged 5-7 years. Right now 01-03 is singing…but you need a big fat steak to go with it. One of my “goto” wines when I head out to a steak restaurant and byob. I like it with Pasta (red sauce) as well.

Someone mentioned Merus??? if you like Merus, you will like Celani Family Adore. Same fruit. Same wine maker. Coombsville area :slight_smile:

Also someone mentioned V29 Cru. I have had it a number of times, I own it and I find it marginal at best. I will take a Caymus in that price range any day of the week. Better choices out there in the $50 range. What I will say nice about V29 is that their Aida and Estate bottlings are awesome, but need time on it’s side. They also producedthe first Zin, I really really liked…no , I will say it. I loved it…and I am NOT a Zin fan at all!

Interesting to see this being discussed. Tried the '05 Oakville East Exposures and remember the person who shared it with me saying it was in the $100 range. Saw the '07 in a local store last week for ~$50. I was a bit confused.

Not only is this discussion helpful, but I can also research recommendations using the search engine! I see that O’Shaughnessy Howell Mountain has been mentioned several times. Can anyone tell me more?

Thanks,
Rick

[cheers.gif]

Here’s a few more to consider:

Steve’s Congruence should be sampled as well. 2008.
If Merrill has any of her 2007 or 2008 EMH Blackcat left, wrangle a bottle from her ASAP.

If you see any Broman, Frank Family Reserve or Gerog Rafael, give them a try too. The last is an incredible QPR (40ish), and beat some big boys out at the 2007 Cab dinner we had a few months back.
Check this out!

Thanks, Mike. The CLONYC notes (not just the ones you linked) are an enjoyable read.

Rick

I had the 2003 Kobalt last week and it was awesome…

2003 Kobalt Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley
Deep ruby-purple with not a single iota of browning at age 9, even at the rim. Near full-bodied. Tremendous balance in this Cab, with blue fruits and black cherry. The oak flavor is gone what remains is fruit galore. Very Napa. Really good mouthfeel as well. This is in my “zone” for Cab, with fruit still prominent, but roundness in the wine emerging. I would start considering this now, or if you want it to mellow a bit more, wait 2 more years. The lack of color loss and excellent balance make me think this is gonna last a long time. One of the wines of the vintage, for me, almost certainly because Coombsville and Oak Knoll (Its fruit sources) stayed cool in the hottest year of the last decade (2003.) Drink now and over the next 5-7 years.
96pts

Thanks, Rick.

Roy hit it on the head with the 2003 Kobalt. It’s drinking awesome-like right now. I brought a magnum to a NY berserkerfest and it rocked.

[cheers.gif]