Your Most Interesting Wine Bottle

Well, looking through the cellar I think it has to be a bottle of Lorenzo Accomasso Barolo Vigneto Rocchette Rocche that I acquired during my recent trip to Italy. Looking in CT there are 3 total bottles listed and the other two seem to be owned by the same person. Given how traditional his wines are I won’t be opening it until 20-25+ years. If you don’t know who Lorenzo Accomasso is and you love Barolo…it’s worth doing a little searching. He was spoken of in reverence by multiple Italians that we ran into from those in the wine industry (retail & wineries) as well as a sommelier in a hidden gem of a restaurant in Tuscany. I found a write-up from Chambers while I was looking for info on him…I’m really excited about this bottle as he’s in his late 70’s and there’s no telling how long he’ll continue making wines. I don’t think I’ll ever find more…and it’s a neat memory of our time in Italy.

Maybe my collection of 9 double mags of Fritz Haag 2013s. Three each of Spatlese, Auslese and Auslese GK and 100% of the double mags bottled that year. For Hugo age 4 this week.

A bottle of St. Francis Zinfandel Reserve, etched with the name of a now-gone global investment bank, to commemorate the closing of a CLO deal.

Wow. I am pretty sure I’d never have sold that unless, you know, food and shelter. I am not even sure I could bring myself to open it

Have a bottle of 1995 Allegrini Amarone and I rarely drink Amarone but have been saving it for a meal that includes some sort of wild game. Also, a 375 of an Oregon Pinot port. Tried pinot port about five years ago and enjoyed it so we will see how this turns out.

[cheers.gif]

I love this post Scott as I will soon explain:

Last fall, my SO and I were house sitting her uncles house for a month, which we do from time to time. The uncle has a deep wine cellar, and is generous enough to flip us 4 to 6 bottles for the trouble - good wines too: Produttori, Rancia, Charvin and the like. We’ll he left instructions for Kathleen to serve one of the bottles to me blind to see what I thought of it. Intrigued, one Friday night I told her I was game - lets see what is what. I was misdirected from the start as she needed to check on line to see if the wine would work with a NY strip. She came back downstairs to confirm yes. From this, I know she would have known any red wine grape on the label, would have been ok with steak, so in my mind I thought it was some region in Europe that she had to look up to validate our food choice. Ok, did all my wine tricks, sniff, swirl, girggle - it was Grenache, good grenache, from a southern rhone (maybe corsica) or greek. The bottle was brought out, 2014 Mandala Zweigelt from Yakima. Humble Pie City. I would guess the fruit came from the same source has how many Zweigelt vines could there be in the state?

Anyway, it was a good story, and I enjoyed reading your post.

Perrier - jouet fleur de champagne 1979

Which is why I sold it. An offer I couldn’t refuse

Dale,

I loved your story, thank you for sharing. As to whether it’s the same source, I can’t imagine their being many other Zweigelt vines around here either. I hope their are more Yakima Zweigelt stories out there.

Hmm, right now I have a 1934 Toro Albala Don PX Convento L. Opimio. A garagiste offering so not unknown but quite a lovely background.
My favorite dead soldier is an 1989 Fiorano Semillon (Botte 47) opened in 2015, a stunning, if somewhat delicate wine with a backstory worth looking up.

Please tell us how much you got for the Warhol bottle

Of possibly local interest, I have a bottle of 1991 vintage sparkler from the now defunct winery of Tareq and Michaela Salahi’s family. You may remember them as the couple that crashed a 2009 state dinner at the White House and then flamed out on the short-lived Real housewives of DC. A friend of mine owns Paradise Springs Winery in VA and bought out much of their old stock.

The first bottle design that grabbed my attention was the 1994 SQN Queen of Spades. At the time, the label was just so different from anything I’d seen before.

I also have an empty mag of 1961 Margaux signed by Corinne Mentzelopoulos and Paul Pontailler. It was drunk with both of them at a dinner at the Chateau in 2005. They were wonderful hosts.

And I’ve currently got a bottle of 1946 Bodegas Toro Albala Don PX Convento Selección in the cellar. Very unusual wood carved label:
IMG_0037.JPG
Image stolen from CellarTracker.

1975 Cuvaison Cabernet Sauvignon with Philip Togni’s signature on the side of the label, and the back label that reads, “Grapes from vineyards at the summit of Spring Mountain, St. Helena.” This wine was the last Cuvaison made by Philip Togni. Bear in mind that there was a 1975 Cuvaison Napa Valley.

I have a bottle of Italian wine that did not get 97 points or better from Suckling. That has to beat all of y’all.

It’s hard but I have one that he’s never even heard of. It’s an aszu wine made like a Tokaji-aszu but it’s made from Kadarka by a guy in Eger. Utterly delicious and you can only buy it from him at his cellar. And then a few bottles from a special barrel a producer in Rioja made for some of us.

I’d rather not. You can see, in the last paragraph of the following article, what an Imperial of the same wine so autographed sold at auction at Zachy’s in February 2015

Speaking of signed bottles, I have a bottle of Mick Fleetwood Cabernet, signed by him. Monitoring the “2017 Rock n Roll Deaths” thread periodically…

A little googling shows that he’s still in business.

I was lucky enough to pick up a double magnum of 2015 Wagner-Stempel Heerkretz GG. Not really something that is worth a ton of money, but it is definitely very unique and special to me.

I brought this bottle of 1966 Cappellano Barolo to last year’s La Festa del Barolo:

Larger photo here:

The wine was spectacular. When I got my coat from the coat-check people (a young man and a young woman) they were both seriously turned on by holding it. The guy kept talking about how it was shaped like a woman’s body. I think they went home together that evening.