Your Go-To Wine Varieties --- tight budget version

White: Riesling
Red: Gamay or Syrah (Depending on what I’m eating)

Red: Chianti or chianti blend
White: Domestic chardonnay; either California, Oregon or Washington

Dry whites from Spain or Greece are my go-to.

Edit: since the OP asked for varieties, I’ll specify Assyrtilko and Albarino.

Reds are harder for me too, but I’d probably echo Tuscan Sangiovese (Chianti or Montepulciano).

I pick up well-aged California reds from Winebid, for $10 to $15.

Riesling, Soave, Friuli wines, Sauvignon, Chenin, and Pinot Blanc are usually nice at $15 and under.
For red, I like Dolcetto, Freisa, Nero d’ Avola, Beaujolais, Rhone, and Touraine varieties. Lower-end nerello is also quite good between $18-22.
Between $5-12, I’m usually hunting at auction or close-out, which is still very possible to find good wine.

Recently, I got to taste a private label from Selection Massale called “La Boutanche.” They have a rose, sauvignon, and gamay that are very tasty and come in 1L bottles for under $20, tax included.

Whites Verdejo or Alberino
Reds Cotes du Rhone or Syrah

The Washington state Cabs and Merlots are also a good value most of the time…

Plenty of excellent Syrah from the N. Rhone for under $20. Availability tends to be something of an issue though.

You’re probably right. I was thinking domestic.

Well in all fairness some have crept up over $20 as well, like Gonon’s VdP. Can still get a few very good ones though.

For whites I’d second Muscadet and any Loire Sauvignon Blanc on offer. Inexpensive Loire valley Chenin can be decent as well.

After that cheap Italian reds like basic Rossos, Sangiovese, Barbera or blends work well if the right foods are on offer.

If I had to pick cheap/unknown/widely available (read: New World) though, I might pick Argentine Malbec, as it usually seems drinkable.

Pretty general question, but here goes:

White: Muscadet or Gruner
Red: Syrah or Barbera or Tempranillo

Or beer.

There is no way in hell you randomly run across the Gonon VdP.

“Tight” is whatever you consider “cheap.” Obviously, this will vary from person to person, but that’s okay. [cheers.gif]

Ooh! Good one! I might have to change my red answer to Sangiovese. [thumbs-up.gif]

Exactly.

It seems like you’d have to put some effort into making an undrinkable Pinot Gris.

And the Spaniards don’t make much terrible tempranillo so that should be a safe bet

The question is a tough one.
I mean, I love good muscadet and beaujolais, they are our every night staples, but there are so many crappy versions that I don’t like.

I guess for white I would pick NZ Sauvignon and red maybe a Cotes du Rhone (which is cheating because these are a blend mainly).

If I can cheat some more I would say what I usually do when facing an unknown choice. Look at the back label and check the importer.

If it says Rosenthal, or Dressner, or Kermit Lynch or another good importer, I will usually take a chance on those wines, even if I haven’t tried them before.
Odds are better when you trust the importer.

Agreed. Or even if you look for it for that matter. I wasn’t suggesting this in response to the OP. In response to the OP I said Muscadet, Loire SB or CB, Italian reds, Arg. Malbec, which I think are all fair. I said Gonon to Michael in response to his statement that one has to spend $25-30 to get a good Syrah, and even in that context I was using it as an example of rising price in the category. Even something like a Crozes is unlikely to be at a supermarket, and unlikely to be cheap.