Your go to Cab Franc for <$20?

Another vote for the Hureau ‘Tuffe’.
I’ve also frequently enjoyed the Baudry-Dutour Domaine de la Roncee ‘Clos des Maronniers’. Classic, sappy Chinon, had a bottle of the 2014 a few weeks back and it was super, understated green notes and almost in a Medoc style, delish!

Is this the current release? IMO '12 is a very bad vintage for the region’s reds. Or perhaps I’ve had bad luck with my selective tasting from the vintage, because I mostly skipped it.

Edit: I looked it up and it appears that '12 and '13 are available. I’ll pick some up to try since I’ve never had it.

In discussions of most wine regions or grape varieties this would merely come off as snobbish, but in a discussion of Loire wines it comes off more as ignorant. There is so much good wine at that price point from the Loire that it’s silly. We haven’t even discussed the whites, or the gamay, or the Cot or the sparklers. I hope that most of the wine world retains your opinion so that I can continue to afford these outstanding wines, as my budget absolutely requires go-to wines at under $20.

+1 on the earlier suggestions on Hureau “Tuffe”.

Similar to Hureau is Alliet Chinon. Also a good <$20 QPR, imho.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! Any thoughts on New World CF? Finger lakes or PNW perhaps?

Breton Trinch

Michael, there is always option #3… Sarcasm, which to a large extent that was.

But UNDER 20 (if we are talking about all markets) is a tough task for wines that provide more pleasure than a great beer. $20-25, that can be a different story. East coast markets, for instance, will provide a whole bunch while in Dallas the pickings are more slim at that price point due to importers doing more self distribution and direct importing in some regions. In most of the US though, it’s more of the generic distribution for imported wine which is closer to Ex cellar, times exchange rate, times 12, plus roughly $14/case for importing a container+excise taxes+final destination, divided by .9 to .65 import, divided by another .9 to .65 for distribution, divide by 12 for the bottle and then divide .7 to .5 standard retail.

In all honesty though, I don’t drink wine to have a good glass of wine… I’d rather go without unless it’s truly special, but I’m also tasting through 15-50 wines a day. You raised the point of cot though, and I would TOTALLY concede to you on that point. I would also add that there are some solid Petite Chateaux and minor Cru BG from Bordeaux at that price point, as are some cool wines from cdr villages wines from Plan de Dieu

I once had a Lang & Reed North Coast cab franc that was very enjoyable, and I think they’re probably the standard-bearers in Northern CA for that price point and oeuvre. But it sneaks up a bit past $20 to the low to mid $20s. Still well worth it.

The two best under $20 Loire Valley Cab Franc is Bernard Baudry’s Cuvee Domaine, and Olga Raffault’s Les Picasses

That’s a Parker-esque/Galloni-esque tasting schedule right there.

What’s the nature of your job that you’re encountering so many samples?

Amazingly, I have never tried Hureau. Clearly from the recos here, I need to get on board.

Admittedly, sarcasm doesn’t always play in print, particularly when your explanation shows that you were being quite serious. In any case, I think that requests for suggestion on WB tend to mean available anywhere at that price. So, no, in Missouri I won’t find much at all (a few though) but with internet options that expands greatly.

I’m not ITB. Presumably you are, (though I don’t see it in your signature as I thought was required) since you are “tasting through 15-20 wines per day.” So for me I’m not drinking up on others’ dimes nor privy to distribution pricing, so I need economical options. Which works, because I’m absolutely happy with reds like Guion or Baudry, and for whites Pepiere sur lie is amazing at its price and Briords would be amazing at double its price. Apparently the difference here is that I would not rather “go without unless its truly special.” I’d rather drink very good wine as frequently as I wished than drink great wines very infrequently. If I subscribed to your philosophy I guess I’d spend more money, less often, though it’s just as likely I’d still like Baudry and Briords and would just spend less on wine overall.

They are beauties, worth seeking out.

Also I’m very taken with Jerome Lenoir Les Roches Chinon.
Very traditional, old school, large old wood and great terroir.
These are closer to $30 now, but I cannot do without them.
Platonic form of Chinon to me.

I don’t mind some brett, and clearly with Loire Cab Franc it often comes with the territory, but sometime Olga Picasses goes over the top with this for my tastes. A recent 2002 was just too bretty.
That said, the 1990 Olga Picasses was one of the best Loire Chinons I’ve ever tried.

I derive a lot of pleasure from very simple things that give ample love back. My life is complex enough without always seeking more complexity, intellectual thought, specialness, etc. I love grilled chicken thighs on a Monday night with a simple Bojo or Chinon, doesn’t have to be great, it’s just pleasant. My wine appreciation - and I drink wine pretty much every day - does not have to be “truly special” all the time. Now mind you, I love special wines and have many of them in my “cellar” - and I can choose to drink them whenever, but simple, honest, varietally-correct, that suffices many times.

I had the Lenoir for the first time this year. Really good stuff, floral and delicate.

Well said Robert. Sometimes straightforward and “correct” is just perfect.

Agree that the Lenoir Les Roches Chinon wines are special. They are old school Chinon wines released when they feel the wine is ready. I believe they will release the 2008 wines soon.
I am now drinking my 2004s after a decant. They are wonderful and yes, now price at around $30.

2014 is a very special vintage in the Loire for both red and whites. It will be hard to go wrong in the vintage in regards to any of the producers mentioned in this post.

Ravines and Bloomer Creek are both good - though the latter has moved above the $20 price point. I find that FL cab franc is different in style from the Loire. Softer, smoother. Still good, but I do prefer the Loire style.

I just received a case of 2014 Granges this morning; thanks to Alfert and others for turning me onto this one. I agree that it is drinking beautifully now, but was wondering how long it will last. Should I consume these all before this time next year?

Others will doubtless chime in, but I’ve never had a chinon/bourgeuil that didn’t improve for at least a couple of years after release. Even those made for the most early drinking – like the Bretons’ Trinch! – seem to me to get acquire a little more complexity and gravitas with one or even two years in bottle. I don’t hold those made for early drinking longer than that though.

That said, and this is probably obvious (though wasn’t always to me), make sure and store at proper cellar temps. I’ve had a case of Le Pied de La Butte grow unpalatably bretty after storing passively (around 60 degrees). Ditto with Alliet. I never store my bojo or my chinon at passive temps any more.