Your favorite USA Gamay?

So, I just had the 2018 Story of Soil Martian Vineyard Gamay (which was only my 2nd Gamay), and I LOVED it and need to find more wines like this (especially since this wine is sold out). What do you recommend for fans of this wine?

I’ll add a vote for Walter Scott. Had my first bottle of the ‘17 last month. So delicious but could still use more time to hit its peak.

Yes, great QPR.

Yes, yes you do!

• 2016 Vincent Gamay Noir Bjornson Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (6/30/2019)
    Brought to a dinner loaded with Kutch, William Selyem, beaux frere and this wine was the WOTN for a number of people. Impressive showing. Dark color and light jam and pure fruit with substantial mineral base. Excellent.

Posted from CellarTracker

I have a couple bottles of 2018 Pax Gamay Noir. Have not opened them. Anyone tried these?

I haven’t opened my lone bottle yet but the ct reviews are not promising.

The older note is excellent, but describing a style he doesn’t like. The green note is surely from the stems, which makes me curious. Some of the top/best Cru Bojo is pressed at one week, with seemingly full extraction. So, maybe this spent more time on the stems than optimal? Maybe this will evolve well with age. Maybe some people will absolutely love this wine for how expressive it is, as described.

The other notes a light body, due to lower ABV. As noted, it may fill out with time. But, that’s style. Preference plays a role in enjoyment there, as does the context one drinks it.

It certainly sounds like a wine I’d like to try. It also sounds like a wine where release notes could guide who is and isn’t likely to enjoy it. Sometimes a wine like this one sounds like can be both a top seller from a tasting room, as well as a wine with the most negative reactions. That’s an argument for it existing and having a place in a winery’s lineup.

Well said Wes.

Right now I am drinking the 2006 Vincent Bjornson and though on day one it was solid but primary, on day two with no stopper of any sort in between it is friggin amazing. Awesome pure dark red fruits with underlying potpourri and crushed violet. This has my vote. I believe at one time or another I have tried the vast majority of domestic gamays. Imho, ESJ does not hold a candle to this. The only domestic gamay I have ever had in this league in Doug Tunnel’s.

Don’t forget Belle Pente Mitch, although I’d also give the edge to Doug and Vincent for complexity. Drank through all of mine. Never had a 10+ year old ESJ Gamay but I wouldn’t turn it down.

RT

ESJ. RMP used to do a really nice one, I believe the label is no longer in existence.