Your favorite Nebbiolo's - D'Alba, Langhe, etc?

Me too am a big fan of the ArPePe Nebbs, Clayton. One of the best in the Valtelline.
But you’re right…they’re on the pricey side.
Tom

Which vintage? A few of the recent vintages have been challenging and 2011 was the worst in the past 30 years.

Elio Grasso Gavarini basically young Barolo vines aged in stainless steel.

I can’t remember. It was purchased in a store in Reston last Wednesday, so it should have been the current release. A 2014, perhaps?

I haven’t tried the 2014. I can’t remember if that was a good year or not. I didn’t enjoy the 2011 or 2012 but do really like the 2010. As you know, vintage variations on the east coast are more significant than most regions so if you had the 2011 or 2012, I wouldnt make final judgement yet.

I’m pretty sure it was more recent than '12.

The wine wasn’t flawed. It was just boring – sort of neutral with a fair deal of tannin, no real fruit or other flavor to offset the stiff structure.

I wish the crus were anywhere near that in the US…

You could get them for that. But you’d have to pay the ~20% VAT to get them out of bond to drink, or pay to ship them over there. So, yes, that is kind of cheating.

-1. Was served it blind. Unpleasant is putting it mildly.

Thanks everyone!

John - or option 3 is that i fly them home on my travels. You pay about 7% in VAT but thats all, and I’ve only had to pay duty 3 times out of 30ish trips (approx. $1 per bottle). But yes its not a realistic option for most people

Brian

It’s probably a couple dollars over $30, but the Brovia Nebbiolo d’Alba Valmaggione is quite nice, generally a softer, gentler take on Nebbiolo. The 2014 is quite forward and delicious, pretty much ready to go.

-Al

Current release Produttori crus that I purchased at retail in Rome last month were $32 after currency conversion and VAT refund

I would add Giuseppe Cortese. I also like the Sandri and Vajra. Of course the PdB is available, consistent and reasonably priced. Is it true it sometimes sees new oak? I had heard that is how they break in new botte.

Where do you get 7% VAT?

Giacomo Conterno?

Sorry Cortese.

Where do you get 7% VAT?[/quote]

John - when you buy and carry back to the US, you pay 22% VAT but then get refunded all but 7% back when you fly out

Brian

Have you actually been able to get most of it back? When I’ve tried, fees and commissions ate up most of the refunds.