Your Biggest Bottle

I only have two Magnums ( 2004 Lafite and Haut Brion ). Not sure why I bothered as I normally don’t buy with bigger bottles ( I rather prefer to buy and drink 375 mis). Perhaps a moment of weakness and a reasonable price offer. I was planning to offload them but they happen to be my sons birth year wines ( not that I go out of my way to collect birth year wines either). I will keep them and see if he is interested in Bordeaux at his 21st or a bit later and decide their fate.

We did a 6L of 86 Rieussec for our 10th anniversary party this year. 16 people drank about 1.5L. grouphug

We poured the rest into 750s and shared them over the following month.

Outside that, I have a couple 3L of birth year wine for my daughter. CT says I have just over 100 mags. They are shoved into every nook and cranny in my offsite. Some won’t be ready in my lifetime. I need to talk to a counselor, I have some issues. [help.gif]

Insulin served on the side…?

That would call for a flock’s worth of foie gras! Bet you were trying to think of an occasion to use that bottle for awhile.

For some good reason that I now forget, I own a magnum of 1983 Grahams Port and have been pondering when and under what circumstances to broach it.

Double magnum of 2010 Ridge Monte Bello that, good fortune permitting, my wife and I will open on May 22 2040 to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary.

Mine’s bigger than yours

I love magnums, especially for champagne. Have about two dozen mags of a variety of types of wine from Riesling to Chablis to Jura reds to Cru Beaujolais, Burgs and various Nebbiolos.

Pretty much always have at least one 3L around for parties. Have an ‘04 Ch. Belle-Vue (nothing too special) for our Halloween open house (parents of the neighborhood kids and such).

Yeah we did a special custom sushi menu at Nodoguro in Portland with our closest friends, the only ask was bring top flight champagne. The Sauternes was dessert after many good bottles. The bottle had sat untouched in OWC since release in the cooler at a local distributor. When they put it on clearance we had a chance to buy it wholesale… tis good to know industry friends. Save a bit of fractured wax, it was in a lovely spot, though I am sure it would stay that way for a couple more decades

As someone stated earlier, sometimes you can find big bottles at silly prices. [drinkers.gif]

We’ve opened 4 9 liter bottles from our daughter’s birthyears - 1983 and 1986 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon and '83 and '86 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill Cab. They’ve all been drunk at large family events and have generally been quite tasty. We’ve consumed most of the birth year big bottles, but still have a 6 liter of '86 Mount Eden Cab and a 5 liter of '83 Ridge Santa Cruz Mtns Cab (the declassified Monte Bello). We have plenty of magnums and 3 liters of '92s for my son’s birth year, but nothing larger.

I still have a single of the 86 Mt. Eden - you remind me that I should be drinking it (or maybe should have long ago…)

Drank my biggest bottle with good friends at Chateau Casenova for Tim’s 50th birthday a month ago equidistant between Bordeaux Central and St-Emilion with illustrious guests. Ch Ausone 1982 5 litre. With the benefit of hindsight I should have waited 20 years. Magnificent bottle though.
6D375C3D-5183-4D58-9C3B-52B5427BC1E1.jpeg
82196F73-0774-416E-9F54-58CBCD34CBEB.jpeg

In the next few years is probably the right answer. We had a 750 2 years ago that was mature, but far from over the hill.

Mt Eden Vineyard? If yes, probably great.
Villa Mt Eden . Good luck.

Bunch of 6L of 1996 Faiveley Clos des Corton. No clue when to open of if they will ever hit maturity.

****Also Mount Eden, 1984 Cabernet Sauvignon, 3 litre, signed by Jeffrey Patterson, wine maker, one three litre bottled.

1984 MOUNT EDEN-Wine Maker Signature 1.JPG

1984 MOUNT EDEN-Wine Maker Signature 2.JPG

1984 MOUNT EDEN-3.00 Liter Cabernet Sauvignon.JPG

I buy a 3L of Roederer Estate every winter through their Magnum Club. It’s pretty easy to drink one at some holiday party and they are always fun. Other than that I don’t have any bottles larger than mags. I occasionally buy a 3L for an event, like Paul B’s birthday party this fall (78 La Lagune) and my daughter’s 25th birthday (92 Couly Dutheil Clos De L’Echo Chinon). I bought a 3L 1984 Silver Oak Alexander on our honeymoon in 1990 and drank it on my 40th birthday in 2002. We had four 3L La Vielle Ferme Cotes du Ventoux at our wedding and I gave the one leftover to my brother who drank it about 20 years later, still good.

I have a couple hands full of mags at any time. Well, big hands.

17 litres.
This bottle was an order of an American amateur who asked Domaine de Chevalier to make for him 3 bottles of 17 litres of Domaine de Chevalier white 2000.
He had ordered the big bottles and paid them, and some years later he had changed his mind and let Olivier Bernard use them as he wanted.

Olivier Bernard had opened the big bottle and made magnums to be able to serve to visitors during the week of primeurs of 2011.
I adored this wine which had a width which was due to the format.

3L is the largest i have… and i would have sold it already if it wasn’t our anniversary year… i don’t know how I can drink 4 btls of the same wine at one time…

I had a 6 litre of 1985 Raymond Lafon. I bought it for my nephew’s wedding rehearsal dinner. They had a big rehearsal. It was his birth year. There were about 80 people and we drank about half of it. The following day, I brought it to my synagogue because I had to read Torah and we finished off another bottle’s worth. A few people said it was the best wine they had ever had. 5 months later, I poured a bottle’s worth into a 750 and served it at a LBTG blind dinner and it was still outstanding. The bottle sits in my basement with about 20 ounces still in it, one year after opening it.

Jay. That’s a nice story. Thank you.

Jay,
What is incredible is that I have opened the same wine, a 6L Raymond Lafon for the wedding of my son !!!