Your best ever wine purchase?

that 93 was outrageously expensive–the 90 Chamb and Beze chez Rousseau were $100!
alan

I still have three bottles I bought for about the same price. I have been wanting to sell them given the silly prices for the wine, but have not done anything yet. What do they sell for now and what is a good way to sell them?

1979 Guigal Cote Rotie Brune & Blonde @ $5.99 (mispriced at the Cotes du Rhone price) in the late 80s.

+1

82 Mouton @$37.50 pre-arrival from Premier Cru in 1984. 82 Pichon-Lalande @ $19.95 on the shelf, 1985.

2008 Lafite, Latour, and Mouton at $200. Sold them and switched them for a case of 2008 Pichon Baron and some Dujac 1er, champagne, port, and riesling.

1990 Montrose $425 for the case. 1990 Latour and Margaux $75. 1992 Taylor and Fonseca Port $30. 1994 Taylor and Fonseca $45.

Earlier this year 7 cases of mixed closeouts, mostly German and a few from Kermit Lynch, from Grocery Outlet for $2.39 per bottle.

These kind of threads make me sad…

In terms of price vs. current value, 75 Lafleur for $11.99. In terms of enjoyment, probably 71 d’Yquem at $20 (from the Wine Merchant in Beverly Hills).

1982 Les Forts de Latour for $7 at the grocery store in ’87 or ’88, must’ve been mislabled from…$x7. I wasn’t a wine geek at the time, but boy I do remember it as being delicious.

Probably a Magnum of 1970 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Grands-Echezeaux for $250 in the summer of 2007 from a private cellar that was inherited and then sold to a local wine store.

However, in strong contention would be a 1925 Solera N.V. Luis Caballero Jerez-Xérès-Sherry Fino Pavon for $7 on winebid that was the most epic Fino I’ve had in my life.

Agreed…us early Gen X’ers (I was born in 1967) have been sucking fumes from the damn baby boomers our whole lives. With respect to wine, I wish I would have entered the market in my 20s rather than at 40 and enjoyed many of the same bargains. However, from Aids through Reagan to the Great Recession, we’ve been caught in the baby boomers’ wake. Although I definitely feel for the Millenials/Gen Y, they’re really, really screwed.

Disclaimer: no pot to stir, this is all in fun…

My best deals? It’s virtually impossible to find deals of the caliber previously mentioned in more recent years, particularly since I only began seriously buying wine in 2007/2008. That said, I’d have to say the 2006 through 2008 Rhys bought back when prices were $49 to $59. Those were the days!

Who knows what deals we’ll be discussing in 15 to 30 years!

mine was a glass rather than a bottle
We ate at The Wild Boar in Nashville when they were liquidating that bazillion bottle cellar.
We had their 4 course tasting menu with wines for a little over $100 each.
One of the wines was '83 Lafite

1990 Clos de Tart for $30 in 2010. Got it from a wine shop that had it in their “wine room” a Mid-Western basement since release.

I’ll play
53 Margaux - $300
85 Mondavi Reserve - $39 (about a year ago, got 6 at that price)
01 Latour $125 en primeur

2001 Ausone for $190.
2001 Lafite for $130.

About as good as I have done, wish I was into Burgundies when I first started buying wine…sigh.

Yeah, then came 1995 and 1996, and onwards and upwards.

I’m a bicentennial baby…and I think that I was VERY fortunate to get into wine right before the drastic shifts in price. I paid $117 for a 2002 Laffite in 2005 and there are a slew of deals out there if you pay attention, look for them, and buy enough when you find them. Other great deals are out there. I just think that as more people started looking for the deals and more stores started listing their inventories online we started to see all the (truly) great deals vanish because more and more people are learning about and getting into wine. To me, it seems like this is a great time to be a buyer (unless you want the Uber-limited wines like DRC) as there is a glut of wines in the market forcing retailers to unload great wines at a fraction of their intended release price (which honestly just tells me the SSRP isn’t realistic on a lot of wines).

have you gotten them yet? Bwahaha . . .
alan

I think my best real purchase was a mixed case of 88 & 89 Solaia I brought home from Milan in the early/mid 90s. Made it thru customs, drank a few and then used the rest to get into a series of great tastings and dinners while living on the Gulf Coast.

I bought 8 bottles of 2000 Lafite fripom our CC for $500 per. When my cellar cooling system failed and the insurance company paid the claim,they valued them at $3,300 apiece. In less than 6 months.

[rofl.gif]