You have one year left to live. What do you do wine wise?

It is, indeed, a useful mental exercise to contemplate this kind of scenario, and see what it teaches you about what you should be doing now or all the time. But you can’t really live every year of your life like it’s your last – you have family, responsibilities, finite resources, etc. You hope to find some balance.

I definitely agree, though, you can’t just defer all the things you want out of life to some distant future, because that might never arrive.

Awesome.

champagne.gif

Cheerful thread
I’d try to get an unpaid internship with Craig

Assumption #1 is that my ability to smell and taste are not impacted by my illness.
Assumption #2 is that the illness is not something that can be fought.
So, here is what I would do… I would travel to Hawaii, Australia, Alaska, Chicago, Toronto, England, Germany, Austria, Netherlands, Italy, Spain and finally France. My wife and I would eat very well and drink very well. My wife loves to take pictures and she certainly would take as many pictures as possible. My wife loves to make photograph books through iPhoto and she would make one for the ages.

I’d also see if I could win more arguments on the internet. [cheers.gif]

Seriously? Sell the f*ckin’ wine and waste it on hookers and blow. But since I’m very happily married and long past anything but wine & occasional bourbon, I’d probably drink the best first and hope it holds out.

JD

You shall henceforth be known as “The Wolf of Wine Berzerkers.”

I would use my science background to cook up crystal meth of heretofore unachieved purity, and use the proceeds to buy insanely expensive Bordeaux, Burg, and blue-chip Napa Cabs.

Lonesome Dove? Great movie.

Having recently (Dec. 12) suffered a massive heart attack (the widow maker) and been within minutes of not making it, I can say I have a new outlook on life. Wine is up there but only if it can be enjoyed with friends and family.

I’m a believer of Murphy’s law. Therefore, I’ll be diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver and the threat “every drink takes a week from your life expectancy,” meaning if I continue to drink my normal amount, I’m dead in 3 weeks.

Since I’m worth more alive than dead right now, (retirement checks), Carrie wouldn’t let me drink. She’d start taping conversations, practice duplicating my handwriting and purchase a chest freezer to prepare for my 5 year battle. But on the bright side, Carrie would spend every available dollar on those wines we always wanted in our cellar in case I’m miraculously cured. [wink.gif]

Drink up my collection of Madeira with people who will appreciate them.

[winner.gif] I don’t have as many bottles and I might leave some for my kids, but I agree with the principle. If I had a year left to live, I’d have a lot of other things on my bucket list. Maybe on Day 364 I’d drink the da Capo, the Nacional, the 1875 Madeira and a few other really special bottles.

I think it was the Shawshank Redemption.

I’d spend 80% of my money on wine and women. The rest I’d just piss away.

Glad you’re still with us, Andrew.

Now, there is a plan. In fact, I have adopted it even though I am one of the Immortals and do not have to worry about the one-year thing! :slight_smile:

champagne.gif

I’m 98 pts on that!

Ahh that’s right. Another great movie. I believe Gus McCrae’s line was “it’s not dying I’m talking about, it’s living!”

Glad to hear you’re doing okay Andrew. My father had the same a few years back and upon recovery I bought him a birth year Bordeaux and Barolo (1945) for his 70th and 75th bday dinners.

Honestly, I would open 1 killer bottle and sell the rest. While I love wine, my family is less passionate about it. They are however interested in seeing the world together. I would sell my wine and do what my family wanted to do together and would provide them good memories after I go to the great vineyard in the sky. The juice could fund those trips.