Yep, "Lots of Stuff"...

Who is this Eric Asinov, of which he speaks?

Me too, any references to a report or blog post?

Now that is funny! I’ll take the La Chapelle, he can keep the rest and the Cantonese food.

+1 and this tasting was at a wine writers convention, no? Google only turns up talk about RMP’s comment.

This is old news and he will always rationalize it as absolutely necessary. Think of it as the inevitability of death and taxes.

From the events schedule site:

http://www.winewriterssymposium.org/events/2014-symposium-schedule

8:30 - 9:45 AM Unexpected Napa Valley Wines Tasting and writing exercise with Eric Asimov, chief wine critic, The New York Times; Jon Bonné, wine editor, San Francisco Chronicle

You missed this one, Bill…
[Posted by the irrepressible Mr. P. just 20 minutes after the OP you quoted, in response to the current Asimov article being discussed on this board, the Squires board, and elsewhere]

“As a Neil Young song screamed…”.this is such a bunch of crap"…if you want to trash California cult wines …please name them…based on so many tastings from the 1990s(and Leve’s 1994 tasting below,my tasting last night in Hong Kong) the idea of these wines falling apart is a bright shinning lie…unless of course they have been badly stored…if anything, the wines are lasting much longer than I would have thought…Asimov and Bonne should not get a pass,and any defense of “different tastes for different writers"ain’t gonna’ fly either…they are alleged to be professional writers…and this dribble misleads their readers…at the very minimum…would someone writing 1990 or 2000,or 2005 Bordeaux,or 1978,1989,1990 Barolo falling apart get a pass for such appalling ineptitude?..are these two guys clones…twins…separated at birth?..they sure sound like it…I suggest we return to yesteryear when writers like Robert Finigan, Terry Robards,Dan Berger,infamous thrashers of the 1982 Bordeaux were repudiated by consumers and sent out to pasture.”

Wow…all I can think of after that is a cornered dog:

I not only read the Bonne book, but continue to enjoy and buy the wines Bonne details in the book. I don’t follow the critics anymore but knowing what Parker has said about the wines Jon Bonne writes about and Parker’s comments towards them, it tells me with confidence that Parker’s view and mine on wine are now about as far apart as they can be.

I need to find a Wind Gap or Matthiasson from the cellar and celebrate.

If it’s true that he’s successfully steering the Chinese wine buying public to USA, South America, and Australia, presumably to his style of wine, it seems like a blessing in disguise to keep other regions relatively affordable for the time being.

Just as an FYI, all the wines served in Beijing and Shanghai were Bordeaux

Actually, Bill, the Hosemaster got in some ridicule for you too:

It seemed like a lot of those wine writers came to hear this Parker guy but they didn’t like him, so it’s like paying to go to a Yanni concert if you have any taste in music. You hate him as soon as your clenched little butthole hits the seat. So that was weird, it was like this weird mix of people who had the Duck man up on a pedestal, worshipped him like he was something they’d never achieve, like an original idea, and a whole bunch of people who thought he was an arrogant old windbag who’d fcked up their whole pathetic little wine business, like he was to blame for all that’s shitty in wine writing, like he’s the fcking A-Rod of wine.

[cheers.gif]

Parker can’t let it go. Neither can Bill. Separated at rant.

That’s more like it … don’t you think… and mentions Leve too…

I guess you are right. As long as he is not parked outside his house staring into the windows with binoculars, it’s probably just a harmless waste of energy. Although I wouldn’t put that past him…

I did not attend, but heard from someone that did (David White) that the wines were quite nice and people enjoyed it.

I’ve personally tasted several of the wines and enjoyed them myself. They definitely have acid, but are not emaciated nor hollow, in my opinion (whatever that is worth…).

Well there has to be someone out there who can give us a list of the wines tasted. I too would live to see what the future of California wine looks like. Or should look like according to Bonné and Asimov.
Doesn’t Bonné post here? Why not provide a list of the wines Jon?
I want to get in early on what will be the new stars of California wine. Pretty please.

Oh, the wines were Abrente Albariño, Chappellet Chenin Blanc, Massican Annia, a Matthiasson White Wine, Lagier-Meredith Syrah, Turley Library Vineyard petite Sirah and Corison cab…

I have been camped outside of Parker’s house for several months, no sign of Bill.

Wow! A two-fer!

And Bob make his argument by reference to Leve now? Holy shit. [wow.gif]

I’ve tasted many CA wines from the 1990s, as have many others on this board. Some are OK, some are crapping out. What’s the take-away? I guess it’s know your producer.

Kind of like everywhere else.

I like this short and sweet post in response.

With all due to respect to Bob, but his screed reads like a pretty drunken post.