Yellow BBQ Sauce

Fascinating. Are hot dogs eaten plain as well?

Sweatman’s is great (or it was 20 years ago).

My 11 yo daughter actually eats her hot dogs with a few drops of Crystal. She won’t touch one with ketchup!

Joe, you mentioned South Georgia in a previous post serving mustard sauce with BBQ. Where did you visit? I live close to the Florida line and have never seen it here. This is not a knock on mustard based sauces which as I said above, I like on occasion.

The first place was on Amelia Island in Florida. They had two mustard sauces. One was more traditional(?) and the other was a house island sauce that had a lot more pop. The sauce was better than the Q. The other spot was in Folkston, Ga on route 2 just past Dairy Queen. I think it was called Jermaine’s? It was run out of a converted house. I’ll try and find the name, but it isn’t Googling. The BBQ there destroyed the stuff we got from Fresh Air Barbecue.

Best,
Joe

EDIT Jalen’s BBQ

She’ll do fine if she ever visits Chicago. [berserker.gif]

http://tleaves.com/weblog/archives/000194.html

See Number #5.

I disagree on #1 and #3. Steamed dogs are very good when steamed with celery seed. Nothing wrong with multi-topping dogs.

No. With chili, cheese, mustard and onions at the Varsity.

I like the mustard sauce, but prefer a spicy red.
Luckily they have both at my favorite place, Southern Soul, in St. Simons, GA.
They have the vinegar sauce also, but I’m not a fan of it personally.
And no, the meat doesn’t need sauce. I don’t really need a beer or iced tea to go with it either, but it sure is a nice combo…

Folkston is a good ways east of where I live and I don’t get through there often. Next time I’ll give Jalen’s a try. Maybe mustard sauce is more of a coastal Georgia thing?

She loves Chicago Linda.

Mustard sauce is not much of a Georgia thing at all, but it does show up from time to time in isolated locations. Most of those make reference to “SC style” or something similar. The first I ever saw serving mustard without a “SC” qualification was Stinson’s in Lumber City, on US 341 between McRae and Hazlehurst. Not coastal.

I like vinegar sauce on finally chopped bbq. There was a place either in upstate SC or western NC that I used to hit, that the only thing you would really order would be a tray, that was sort of a thick pressed-paper molded dish. Half the dish was filled with minced pork and half with minced coleslaw, and they were dressed with the same vinegar sauce. The only side was hush puppies. But it was a brilliant dish, in its simplicity - that’s a short menu. Carolina Pig may have been the name.