Xmas PANETTONE - Easter COLOMBA

best Panettone in town

Easy to order online, at least from Germany. They ship worldwide. Also add the orange jam/jelly to your order.

1 Like

under the mistletoe :heart_hands:

1 Like

These go for $90 on goldbelly shipped in the U.S.

I don’t care too much for the “classic” panettone, but I love chestnuts, so I do like panettone done without the candied fruits but with candied chestnuts (marrons glaces).

1 Like

Can also order direct in US. But a couple stores do sell them as well. Buon Italia (NYC Chelsea Market) carries them and does ship.

Curious on thoughts compared to Perbellini. The Perbellini orange and chocolate is a recurring favorite.

Chestnuts. Mmmmh………

I should point out that this Panettone is full of candied fruits and therefore quite juicy.

You have to know that regular Panettone is quite poor (dry!) in Germany, as German people would NEVER spend 40€ for a Panettone. But we all know quality has its price. So I am happy to order a Panettone from Milano to Berlin for 53€ incl. shipping.

In addition with 4 glasses of orange jam, the best I have ever eaten.

Lots of shops (virtual and real-life) sell panettone in the US, especially where there’s historically been an Italian enclave. I’ve liked the panettone with marrons glaces from Fiasconaro or Filippi. Do look at ingredients as some have gone the route of cheaper ingredients (palm oil instead of butter, dried eggs instead of fresh, etc.). If fancy packaging is important, Fiasconaro does a panettoni line in collaboration with Dolce & Gabbana which is available in the US.

P.S.

and while you are eating a slice of Panettone watch „I hate Xmas“ on Netflix. Already released last Xmas and is a funny&romantic TV serie from Italy. It plays in a little water town near Venice. :it:

1 Like

My recommended brand offers also Panettone with marrons.

3 Likes

Not available in the US, I think.

On my last day in Milan I splurged for a Niko Romito panettone (Panettone Classico | Laboratorio Niko Romito Shop Online)

The description includes the following flowery language: “…mother yeast from the fermentation of the grapes of the vineyard of Casadonna, soft wheat flour, ground breeding egg yolk, Bourbon vanilla berries, dairy butter, Sulla honey, sultana raisins, candied orange peel from our Laboratory and an emulsion of Sicilian organic almond that replaces a part of the butter and conveys floral aromas. It does not contain preservatives.”

If you’ve had the Oliveri 1882 Panettone, curious how you think this compares. I’ve been ordering the Olivieri one shipped to the U.S. for the past few years and am quite happy with it, but possible there’s even better I guess!

1 Like

That’s just awkwardly translated, I think. “Ground breeding egg yolk” :thinking: presumably means yolks from uncaged/free-range hens’ eggs.
This year I got the Filippi’s panettone with marrons glaces. It’s leavened with a true sourdough starter (mixed yeasts/bacteria) that’s decades old, and is about a quarter by weight marrons glaces. :yum: I also appreciate that they are a B corporation; we’d all be better off if more companies chose this option. :white_check_mark:

1 Like

Your description and website looks very promising, but I found no hint that they ship to USA or Germany.

Of course there are better Panettone`s out there than Olivieri, BUT it is almost impossible to order it, as it seems they are local and small producer/bakeries.

My wife receives every Xmas a Panettone to her office from an italian customer, clearly better than Olivieri. On the other hand we are happy with our version, it´s fluffy&juicy and based on a long matured sourdough.

1 Like

BTW, last year december a german food-journalist from the famous FAZ newspaper wrote a harsh article about Panettone and stated that Panettone is bad&boring and overrated. Rightly so with regard to the versions we can buy in Germany or receive in italian restaurants here. But she made the mistake never tried to taste REAL Panettone.

In addition bad luck for her that the italian embassy read the article and the italian ambassador felt offended. As a consequence the ambassador invited her to a Panettone-Dinner at his embassy in Berlin.

She returned quite humble to Frankfurt and wrote an apology-article a few days later.

2 Likes

They do ship within the EU (see link to shipping at bottom of page) and apparently by arrangement elsewhere.
Of course there is an ocean of lesser products, as there are for most food items. But I am sure there are many good panettoni and similar baked goods. It is not rocket science to make good food, if care is taken with the ingredients and the making. One can pay more for packaging/marketing/shipping etc., but there are many good bakers in the world. :wink:

1 Like

This time of year there’s usually a crappy generic brand Pannetone + big pallet display at the entrance of non food box store places like Best Buy and Dick’s sporting goods.

Uptick trend in Great Britain

2 Likes

It is really nice with custard or double cream too.

1 Like