www.wine.com worth $1bln?

Thoughtful analysis Ken, thanks for pulling together and sharing.

Can you define what an ‘online aggregator’ is for the purposes above?

One interesting thing - comparing the ‘purchased/remained’ ratio suggests to what extent the sellers are offering wines to lay down vs. immediate consumption. Or how their client base behaves.

I am not being precise with terms, you’re right.

Online aggregator is Vivino or Wine Searcher. They aggregate listings, reviews, other “data” and don’t own any product. While Vivino is inferior to Wine Searcher in terms of listings’ breadth, Vivino made a very smart decision to do order fulfillment on their site versus merely referring the consumer to the retailer. Right now this only works on a per-retailer basis: buying a bottle from retailer A and another bottle from retailer B yields two different shopping carts on Vivino. Not great but much better than dealing with idiosyncrasies of (often subpar) individual retailers’ web storefronts. If they refine this model to one shopping cart for multiple retailer where they’re a single bottle neck to choke and the retailers are just an invisible supply chain, they could eventually upset the W-S apple cart. (After they made a deal with CT to feature alongside W-S on each wine listing, they’re halfway there). Even now in terms of shopping experience, W-S feels like MySpace compared to Vivino’s Facebook.

Online-only retail with significant inventory and shipping to most states is wine.com or JJ Buckley. By calling them an aggregator, I meant ‘product aggregator’ but that’s a bit of a misnomer. In fact, I think these are the only two with enough reach in US and JJ Buckley is a lot smaller than wine.com. All other online players mentioned in the top 14 list above like WTSO or WineAccess or Envoyer or even Garagiste (marketing aside) have highly curated inventory and aren’t in the same class.

When you have 2 or 3 major players in a market, it’s ripe for consolidation. If wine.com gets their raise at 1B valuation, it should be a signal enough to private equity to roll up some of these entities.

Here’s a good article with wine.com numbers. Self-reported and unaudited numbers! [berserker.gif]

Excellent analysis Ken. A couple of minor points on the above snippets I pulled from your longer post:

First, when I said AMZN failed, what I meant was that they failed to scale and could not see a path to doing so, not that they failed to make money. If, as you say, their path to doing that was to change the laws, then it’s obvious why they failed. Changing the laws would always have to be Phase 2 of a strategy (at a minimum). As a new entrant the prospects of changing the rules by overcoming the entrenched local interests, who are protected by the 21st Amendment, are nil, even if you’re Amazon (and maybe especially if you’re Amazon). Wine.com is clearly working within the system, with an established presence in all states where they need to have one. In NYS, that presence consists of a small office on Long Island and whatever warehouse capacity they need to support their volume. Compare that to the hurdles Total Wine (whose store is located a few blocks from that wine.com office) has to face in NYS, especially since they are allowed to have only one brick and mortar presence.

Second, I agree completely with your analysis, supported by the CT data, of the value proposition wine.com offers to the $20 and above customer, but I think you may be underestimating their opportunities in the $10-$20 range. CT can’t help us with that one, but just based on the small set of people I know I think it’s a market they can do well in. It’s certainly a market where Total does well, and if you asked me for a short description of what wine.com is, I would say “Virtual Total”.

Third, I would be shocked if the sommelier function will not ultimately be almost pure AI, if it isn’t already. Getting back to Total, what the folks in the aisles do there should be a piece of cake for anyone with sophisticated AI capabilities. Ask them what they like, recommend something similar. And, since you always remember who they are, ask them how they liked it when they come back. And probably even offer them a special rebate if they say they were disappointed. In fact, I’m now curious enough about this to try out the Sommelier option one of these times, just for funsies.

In any event, this will be interesting to watch as it develops, and meanwhile I’m getting some pretty good deals using those coupons.