WsOTY--2022 Edition--and your Discovery of the Year--TABULATIONS COMPLETE (OP)

WOTY: 1974 Fratelli Accigliaro Barolo Ciabot 'd Mentin Ginestra

DOTY: Robert-Denogent

1 Like

I had Lamy-Pillot for the first time this year when I was on the East Coast. I drank a couple and brought back even more. It was really interesting having a Chassange Montrachet Rouge (the Burgundy selection where I live is very limited). Are you referencing the white or the red?

3 Likes

The first 2 were 1 and 2, and the rest are just ordered by vintage.

2003 San Giusto a Rentennano Percarlo
1995 Biondi-Santi Brunello di Montalcino Riserva

1988 Dominus Dominus
1998 Biondi-Santi Brunello di Montalcino Riserva
2000 Pierre Usseglio Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee de Mon Aieul
2001 Dal Forno Romano Valpolicella Superiore Vigneto di Monte Lodoletta
2006 Capanna Brunello di Montalcino
2006 Uccelliera Brunello di Montalcino
2008 Melka CJ
2011 Alvear Pedro Ximenez de Anada
2011 Gulfi neroSanlore
2012 Bollinger La Grande Annee
2015 Castello Romitorio Brunello di Montalcino Filo di Seta
2016 Frank Cornelissen Magma
NV Barbeito Benjamin Franklin 10th Anniversary Special Reserve

4 others worth mentioning… could quite possibly be at the top of my list, but I only had small samples of each.

2016 Tenuta San Guido Sassicaia
2010 Aldo Conterno Barolo Granbussia RIserva
2007 Valdicava Madonna del Piano
2016 Biondi-Santi Brunello Annata

Discoveries
2014 Sassotondo Maremma Toscana Ciliegiolo
2017 Valfaccenda Roero Rosso Riserva Valmaggiore
2015 Tenuta Anfosso Rossese di Dolceacqua
2019 Chiara Condello Predappio
2006 La Roncaia Picolit

had to add 2 more discovery wines.
2015 Paolo Bea Santa Chiara
2019 Vietti Timorasso Derthona

I believe there’s only a white that comes from Montrachet.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know, I’ve become like a broken record on this. . .

Discovery of the Year:
-Portuguese Wines
My stateside explorations over the past couple of years convinced me that Portugal should be on my wine map. A recent 10 night trip with my palate “on the ground” convinced me of the huge range and overall quality of the wines from Portugal. From simple satisfying everyday wines to wines that aspire and succeed at being ‘special’. Also lots of new stuff happening to be excited about.

Wines of the Year
-Grahams 1990 “Lodge” Vintage Tawny Port
-Vasque de Carvahlo 40 Year Tawny Port
(tied for top port tasted)
-Granito Cru Dao Branco from Luis Seabra
(my favorite of many excellent Portuguese table wines)

1 Like

Burgundy is by far my biggest weak spot so I always get the smaller areas mixed up. But I had a red out of chassange-Montrachet from Lamy-Pillot that opened up on day two and was fantastic. The owner of the wine shop also highly suggested their 1cru Blagny (which I’m really looking forward to).

This reminded me that I still need to hunt down someone that’ll ship to me so I can order more.

Hi Mike, hope all is well. My favorite thread of the year. With the caveat that I drink most of the best wines between now and the end of the year, here is my list:
Reds:
2006 Schrader Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon CCS Beckstoffer To Kalon Vineyard
2016 Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Châteauneuf-du-Pape RÊserve des Deux Frères
2010 Shafer Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select
2005 Shafer Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select
2006 Hundred Acre Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon The Ark Vineyard
2010 Clos Saint Jean Châteauneuf-du-Pape Sanctus Sanctorum
2016 Screaming Eagle Cabernet Sauvignon
2013 Realm Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer To Kalon Vineyard
2016 Schrader Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon RBS Beckstoffer To Kalon Vineyard
1996 Château LÊoville Las Cases
1989 Château AngÊlus

White:
2010 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage Blanc
2020 Nigl Riesling Rehberger Goldberg
2016 Nikolaihof Riesling Ried Steiner Hund

Sparkling:
2008 Dom PĂŠrignon Champagne Lenny Kravitz Limited Edition (Magnum)

Dessert:
1900 D’Oliveiras Madeira Malvazia Reserva

Discovery:
2016 Frias Family Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Vangone Vineyard
2010 Chimère Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2018 Patrimony Estate Cabernet Sauvignon

1 Like

An embarrassment of riches…
Champagne:
1952 Dom PĂŠrignon.
1996 Krug Clos du Mesnil.

White:
1996 d’Auvenay Meursault Goutte d’Or. Easily overall WOTY for me… It haunts my dreams and I can still taste it.
1995 Coche Meursault Perrières.
1983 Leflaive Bâtard Montrachet.

Red:
1983 Rousseau Chambertin (mag).
1989 Leroy Clos de la Roche.
1976 Rousseau Chambertin.
1991 Pousse d’Or Volnay Caillerets 60 Ouvrees.

Discovery:
Azores Wine Company Terrantez do Pico - on a trip to the Azores. intensely saline and mineral volcanic island wine. Crushable.

3 Likes

All about Result of a Crush from Reynvaan. To find wines that are $25 with tax and shipping and all 90 points or higher I salute Trevor M. who is not a board member but a resident of Walla Walla and six cases later and many more in the future I thank you.

2 Likes

Any chance you took notes on the 52 Dom? Curious what that drinks like!

1 Like

+1 on this being my wine of the year, absolutely fantastic. Thanks to @Eric_White for bringing it!

2 Likes

truly my pleasure, we need to do that again soon!

3 Likes

I know the feeling. '01 d’Auvenay Puligny en la Richarde at age 10 remains the greatest white wine I have ever tasted and it haunts me still. If I was in the habit of spending 10k on a bottle of wine, I’d get some more. But alas, the memory will have to do. Cheers.

4 Likes

Wow, you two guys are passionate here. . . Hope your significant others also get some of this! :+1:

'52 still had vibrant acidity and still had a little bit of fizz. It was fully mature with toasted nuts and honey tones. This was from a pristine bottle from an Italian cellar.

1 Like

Favorite wines this year:

1997 Colgin Herb Lamb- Had this at our anniversary dinner this year so I’m biased towards thinking the wine was special just by being there. First time having a Colgin HL and loved it. Gorgeous wine.

2017 Pott Space & Time- this vintage is 80% Cab Franc, 20% Cab. Possibly the most beautifully aromatic wine of the year.

2015 Colgin IX Estate- Had this and the Pott above on Valentine’s Day. If I scored wines this (or the Shafer below) would likely be the highest scoring wine of the year, it had everything.

2001 Shafer Hillside Select- really enjoyed drinking this wine. Kept revealing more layers over over a 6 hour decant.

Discovery-
Ruston Family Wines, St Helena at the bottom of the Mayacamas mtns. Found them here through the WB board. Very enjoyable wines at decent prices. Great Chards and SB, but their red blends really shine, IMO. Cuvee Mahalia ( $30- Merlot, CF, Cab blend) is an incredible crowd pleaser and their reserve bottle La Maestra ($60- Cab, Petit Verdot) compares favorably at 2 or 3 times the price.

2 Likes

PYCM, Batard Montrachet Grand Cru, 2015
Chateau Vieux Chateau Certan, 2005.
Henri Jayer, Richebourg Grand Cru 1987

I have to add 1 more discovery. Not new to most people on here, but my first time trying this and I will be stocking up

2014 LĂłpez de Heredia ViĂąa Gravonia Blanco

3 Likes

This is the first time I had no trouble finding it in Denver. Of course, it also now costs what the Tondonia did 2 years ago…

3 Likes

I’m glad you had the opportunity to try this. These were paradigm shifting wines for me and touch such a unique corner of stylistic expression - I love sharing them with wine lovers who haven’t yet had them and watch their faces :slight_smile:

This thread always makes me smile as I go back through TNs from the year. One pattern is that the wines I am lucky enough to have drunk seem to be getting significantly better year on year. And that is the point of all this, right? To drink well together rather than pass on a cellar full of great wines?

My submission:
Sparkling - 1988 Dom Perignon rosĂŠ
White - 2003 JF Ganevat Vignes de Mon Père
Red - 1982 Mouton

Discovery - Niew Vineyards Chardonnay (Oregon)

2 Likes