WsOTY--2022 Edition--and your Discovery of the Year--TABULATIONS COMPLETE (OP)

Now that would be a cool wine to drink 82 Spottswoode.

6 Likes

The1985 le piane boca la meridiana was also a highlight (drunk in December). A very memorable wine showing the beauty, soul and elegance of Boca wines.

December 31st into the new year the 2021 Tensley Santa Barbara is off the charts. Our market did not get much but hoping to get more.

Bought a couple of the Beta Maus Vineyard. Would enjoy hearing more about this wine.

1 Like

Slight thread drift here. Jeff, thanks for mentioning the 2013 Rafanelli. We have not had one in a few years and this is a reminder to try one soon.

1 Like

WOTY for me:
2013 Kelley Fox Momtazi
2000 Castell’in Via Riserva
2019 Walter Scott Rock Salt

Discoveries of the year for me:
Poderi le Boncie
Domaine de Cassopee

WOTY:
03 Pegau
08 Ladd Abigail
17 Beta Montecillo
17 Michel Gros Aux Brulees

Discovery:
Violin
Enfield (that jurassic park chenin whaaaaat)
Metrick

YUM!

Here was my trip report from last February to Jasud.

1 Like

I bought 3 bottles a few years back at auction, drank one 2 years ago, one at the winery last year with Spottswoode and the last was an absolute dud. Glad that one didn’t go up to the winery with me. They only had two vintages with 100% cab, 82 and 83.

Heading up again next month and hoping to taste at the winery. I have been buying the merlots along with the zin and terrace selects. We just had a 10’ terrace select; it had heavy green pepper notes like Togni but maybe heavier. Unsure when to open my single bottle of 12’. Will be a regular buyer of their cab once we get past the 20’ vintage.

For me it may have been an '85 Haut Bailly. There were several bottles at the tasting, and this seems to have been the only one that showed well based on the conversation, but oh man did it show well. Thought it was better that night than an '86 VCC that was also served…

OK everyone. You are absolutely welcome to continue posting for all to see, but I’m closing off “nominations” for tabulation purposes, as I’ve completed that now. Full results will be in the OP. Briefly:

I had 700 entries to go through which smashes any previous record. Bravo WBers!

Champagnes dominated…maybe as many as 40% of the entries, I haven’t kept close count.

THE WINNERS

1st place—tie between 2008 Cristal and…welcome back!..1996 Salon 5 votes each

3rd place–tie between 2001 d’Yquem, 2001 Rieussec (all the entries for the entire house) , Jacques Selosse Substance, 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne and…rather a surprise and representing all the entries for the entire house, 1989 Beaucastel 4 votes each

Again, huge thanks for playing to everyone.

7 Likes

Oh—append. I’m happy that I got to sample (and vote on) one of the winners and 3 of the third-place wines :grin:

Three wines in 2022 will be remembered for a long time:
1966 DRC Grand Echezeaux - Probably the best red wine I’ve ever had.
2012 Jérôme Prévost La Closerie Beguines - Sensational champagne and a new discovery for me.
The 2001 Pégau Réservée, drank last year, was in a perfect place. A wine, I feel, caught at it’s maturity apex.

1 Like

If everyone could please stop buying so much good champagne, some other folks and I would really, really appreciate it.

1 Like

Can relate completely. Yes. This is a beautifully succinct expression of the reason for it all. That you for sharing such a personal story.

Thanks. Part of me feels a bit out of place in this crowd, though I cannot overstate the impact of the kindness, passion, and welcoming spirit of everyone here.

Not sure why you feel out of place (and I’m not prying). I will point out that you seem to be drinking great wine, sharing those experiences with the board, have even met and become friends with a Berserker offline. It sounds like you fit in just fine.

I’m fortunate to have some ‘19 R-M HL cab in my cellar!

I certainly missed the nominating window, but I’ll add my WOTY:
‘04 Schrader Beckstoffer ToKalon CS. Absolutely sublime.

I buy very few napa cabs these days, but that was a wow wine for me. I think it’s going to be really special.

2 Likes

mm, yes. My notes from my taste at Frank Murray’s FallTacular:

2019 Rivers-Marie Herb Lamb Cab

Leslie Fisher (love her!) said “you—try this first!”. She wasn’t wrong. Aromatics of plum and cassis, and maybe even some latent cured tobacco. In the mouth…wow. So good. Full of black fruit and yet woodsy and controlled with great structure. A total triumph and my WOTD

3 Likes