WSJ wine article

Brings the Churchill quote to mind: “Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others…”

As bad as this new proliferation of wine critics (and points inflation) is, it’s far better than the former regime where one person’s preferences drove the international wine market.

It is pretty clear that almost no one here actually read the article – which makes sense since it is behind a paywall. It include a very nice mention of CellarTracker and segmented areas of influence in a thoughtful way.

Everyone seems to get down on Lettie Teague I like some of her articles including one of my all time favorite wine articles when she makes a fake wine and fools a bunch of collectors.

I read the whole article…twice. Good mentions of Cellar Tracker but a bit too much love for Raj Parr and all the hats he wears.

It is pretty clear that almost no one here actually read the article – which makes sense since it is behind a paywall. It include a very nice mention of CellarTracker and segmented areas of influence in a thoughtful way.

I got around the paywall. Yes good praise for Cellar Tracker. I don’t follow Raj and agree James a lot of love for him in this article. Maybe I am wrong but don’t think Raj moves any wine on this site. I am sure Lebron loves the trophy wines from California.

I’m attending SXSW this year. Presented without comment - tomorrow’s session -Name Brand: The Age of Celebrity Spirits and Wine (OFFICIAL) in. NAME BRAND: THE AGE OF CELEBRITY SPIRITS AND WINE (OFFICIAL)

And yesterday’s session - SXSW 2019 Schedule Future Wine: Millennials, Tech and Change “The business of Wine is estimated to be over $60 billion in the USA and $300 billion globally. The Wine Market Council has estimated that Millennials now consume over 40% of wine in America are poised to soon consume a majority. Much of the industry seems lost! industry leading brands, media, retailers and hospitality brands are scrambling to understand the shift and not disappear into irrelevance.
What are Millennials looking for? Authenticity? Value? Experiential brands? Adventure, Discovery & fun? Brands with stories or social conscience? Brands that understand technology & social media? Will the generation’s passion for games play a role? Our diverse panel of creative thinkers on Wine, on generation evolution & Tech will share unique insights that could apply to any industry.”

Some interesting ideas from this panel but some widely off-target IMO. They were missing the 4th panel member (the millennial?) that might have added more insight.

Some wines featured on Lebron’s twitter feed:

2014 Ramonet Chassagne Montrachet Les Ruchottes
1990 Tenuta San Guido Sassicaia
2009 Chateau Pontet Canet
2007 Opus One
2003 E. Guigal Cote Rotie La Turque
2015 Screaming Eagle The Flight
2013 Colgin Cariad Red
2012 E. Guigal Cote Rotie La Landonne

It’s great we’ve evolved from RP’s influence.

-Al

Al - Agree! I wouldn’t turn these down should Lebron want to share. :slight_smile:

Needs some Champagne in the mix, though.

-Al

Ah, the internet economy in a nutshell. Taking the mystery and magic out of the equation and leveling (like a steamroller) the competition.

As a millennial i feel like if you’re trying to market to “my demo” i don’t want anything to do with it. I am way more suspicious of a company trying to figure out what i want than any blandly corporate megaproduct. Case in point: Yellowtail i have no strong feelings about, but Portlandia Pinot Noir makes me viscerally cringe. You could even be a super evil yet bland corporation and I’ll feel less squicked out by you than a mom and pop but over-focus-grouped product trying to “get that millennial demo”. It’s almost reflexive. Not saying its rational, it just is my reptile-brain-level reaction.

Also, I don’t like someone telling me I want an “experience”, someone mentions millennials wanting experiences and it makes me want the experience of them falling into traffic.

What were some ideas that were interesting and what did you consider widely off-target, out of curiosity?

[snort.gif] champagne.gif [thumbs-up.gif]

Uh he’s had one groin injury this year. And where does it show he’s 20-30lbs overweight?

This is an awful hot take.

Everybody knows takes are best served cellar temp

Needs some Champagne in the mix, though.

Should be able to afford older vintages of French wines. So young.

I don’t envision Champagne in Lebron’s life any time soon.

Not for basketball celebrations, but it’s still an important part of life.

-Al

Wasn’t it Blake Brown who said that in victory you deserved Champagne and in defeat you needed it??
In any event, it’s been like this in the UK for some time. One or two publications don’t dictate taste. Instead of bunch of wine writers argue with each other.