Would you order a bottle of wine at Berns that you have lots of at home, just because you like it?

Here’s my honest question - do most non-wine geeks know about what Berns has to offer with regards to wine? I mean, if you’re in town for a convention and you go there to get a steak, would you have any clue?

Second, I think it’s ‘interesting’ for wine geeks that do know what the list has to offer not to try something that they do not possess - not something I would do but, to some, there is a ‘comfort’ in purchasing what you are familiar with (look at the cellar percentages of ownership of a handful of producers from some on this board, for instance).

Cheers.

I recently went to Rekondo in San Sebastian. This place has an amazing cellar. They had lots of stuff I have in my cellar but wines I could not imagine getting anywhere else including a Dauvisson Puligny Montrachet from 1992 and a Lopez de Heredia Tondonia 1974 that were worth the price of admission. Why would I go to a great wine mecca and drink my own wine?

Well, you’ve only already had it before until you have it again.

The what factor?!?!?!?! [scratch.gif] [scratch.gif]

pm

I agree with Paul on this. There are a number of people who believe that Berns is no longer a wine mecca, and that all the old bottles on offer are sadly picked over and what’s left is not exciting. I can see choosing something you know to be great over what you see as third tier risks.

Check out pics on their Yelp profile, lots of people content with grocery store brands.

Not sure I have an answer. If I went to Berns and found a mature bottle of Truchot at a reasonable price would I buy it even if I had it at home. Honestly, the answer is probably yes.

I missed this post. Wine fascism? John, you meed to stop PWI and make sure you stay on your meds.

How do you ask a fish to stop swimming? A rooster to stop crowing? A bunny to stop humping?

This is what we did and it was amazing.

Jay,

your the one drinking in public on your avatar… [wow.gif] … don’t drink, never needed med’s unlike you … [cheers.gif]

Shalom !!!

Salute !!!

While I would prefer to try things I’ve not had before, I have no issues with someone enjoying what they like. At home or at a restaurant. Some people like variety, some not so much. Both are right.