Would you drink zero alcohol wine

So people would generally prefer wine with zero alcohol.

Did not expect that result

Doesn’t seem a logical conclusion based on the question you asked and the poll.

Well zero alcohol beer is certainly as tasty as the mainstream crap like Bud/miller lite but you never see anyone drink the German low alcohol beer that’s available yet according to this 62% should be drinking it !!

Me thinks not everyone is being that real

Now you’re changing the question. If zero alcohol wine tasted like 2BC or other low end crap I would not drink it.

Yeah, it depends on the question. If you mean actual nonalcoholic “wine,” then the minute sales of those products answers the question.

But if you theoretically could have 89 Haut Brion, and the literal only difference is that you didn’t get your 6 servings of alcohol when you drank it, it’s worth just as much. Maybe more. The value of that wine has nothing to do with the mild buzz you’d get drinking it.

There is absolutely nothing “not real” about saying that. Though I only have myself to blame for participating in another thread and poll of yours, I supppse.

Here we have, once again, a problem with the “English” language used by Alan. Given this post by him, and comparing it to the wording of the poll, I now do not understand either what he asked or what he is saying. I really don’t know why I open these threads. That it only “attracted” 66 voters, speaks volumes. I’m out.

I kind of agree with you about pot, but on the other hand I know people who tell me the exact thing folks here are saying about wine. So either everybody is lying to themselves or people really do enjoy exploring the nuances of different strains of marijuana and don’t need or want the buzz, at least past a certain point. That mirrors what many say about wine, essentially that mild effects can be enjoyed but we wish we could keep enjoying the product without the extreme and negative consequences.
Certainly people taking it for medical reasons would do without the effects of the thc.

I do suspect that without any alcohol the widespread collectibility would be pretty nil. To the poster who spits at tastings, hmmm you do know you never have to drink wine. Why aren’t people Spitting all the time then? Understanding that you can’t effectively do this at a restaurant, but you can get all the flavor and nuance at home without actually swallowing…ever. Preferring that there be less alcohol is reasonable for sure, but not even close to what I think what the intended question was. Spitting after you have just enough or slight relaxation/buzz should be answered with a No, but I have a feeling it’s not being voted that way.

Since I assume you mean my posting #6 above: I´m not sure if I get your point (right)!?
Do you actually mean one should either spit all the time (also at home) - or not spit at all?

I guess all professional (and non-professional) tasters who taste a certain number of wines per day or evening spit, at least partially.
Why? Because when more or less drunk - which is inevitable after drinking 20/30+ wines - you cannot judge and experience the last wines objectively any more … and often these are the ones with highest quality.
I´m also sure all professional tasters drink wine on other occasions, because wine is also food, it acompanies meals, it gives pleasure, it relaxes etc.

I simply stated that before I drink non-alc wine - which tastes crappy - I have a lot of other options like beer, mineral water … or simply spit to avoid getting tipsy …

Moreover I heavily doubt that it is possible to produce high class wines - which in most instances are connected with a certain terroir … and should be true to this origin - to produce these without any alcohol … and without compromising the quality of these wines and not losing the main characteristics.
Even if it will be possible in due time to produce non-alc. wine of rather acceptable quality it will be an industrial technical product that is of absolutely no interest for me.

I do not smoke weed currently, but have in the distant past. I cannot see any reason to smoke weed if you don’t want to get high. To me, the sensation of filling my lungs with hot smoke is not pleasurable. The buzz is (from memory).

There is absolutely no comparison to wine and alcohol. Wine is, I should not have to point out here, delicious. It compliments and elevates the food with which it is served. If it did not knock me off-kilter, I would drink more of it because it is, it bears repeating, delicious. I don’t see why that is hard to understand.

What currently passes for non-alcoholic wine (and beer for that matter) is neither delicious or alcohol free. It is the worst of all worlds.

• infinity

I still dont get the result, i understand that zero alcohol wine tastes like crap so nobody would drink it, i asked would you drink zero alcohol wine if it was an exact duplicate of the alcoholic version and 62% said yes they would. Now if you compare to beer the zero alcohol version is widely available and unlike wine is actually very similar to the alcoholic version, so my point being that if 62% would prefer no alcohol in wine why doesnt anybody drink zero alcohol beer ? anyone here drink zero alcohol beer regularly except me ?

I do … not daily, but sometimes. It tastes really acceptable (and maybe the Austrian beers are still better than the mean US-buds …) [wow.gif]

I rarely drink beer at all.

I almost burst out laughing at this point

I still do drink 0% beer every now and then, but it really doesn’t taste like the real stuff. It’s much better than 0% wine, but that doesn’t make it “very similar to the alcoholic version”.

Unless your idea of beer is Bud Light or its equivalent.

Bud light is not my idea of beer but it is like 90% of Americans !!

Three Europeans who drink low alcohol beer, thats indicative of a whole other issue with Americans being terrible for drunk driving, a large portion of people in the US feel its OK to drink and drive and do it regularly. Europeans dont drink and drive as a general practice

Perfectly summarized.

You must be kidding. The French started to crack down on drunk driving (and speeding) maybe 5 years ago and my French friends speak of it as if the Gestapo had come back as the traffic police.

The average beer drinker isn’t drinking for the subtleties of taste that those on this forum seek in wine. The populations are wildly different so there is no validity in comparing market penetration of zero alcohol beer produced in industrial quantities to the preferences expressed by Wine Berserkers.

Edit to add:

If you asked regular drinkers of 2BC and Yellowtail whether they would still drink it if it had no alcohol, you’d probably get numbers closer to what you were expecting.

Two things: (a) “non-alcoholic beer” is not devoid of alcohol, it is just there is very low quantities; and (b) it does not taste the same. Or at least, none of the beers I drink make a non-alcoholic version to my knowledge. Even if Blue Moon is available in a non-alcoholic version and tastes identical to its alcoholic version I still would not drink it.

" still dont get the result, i understand that zero alcohol wine tastes like crap so nobody would drink it"

• which is to say you understand nothing