Would you buy expensive wine from here

UPDATE: I took some your advice and bought a not-too-expensive bottle that had some age. Decided to go for red Burgundy, which can be rather delicate. I also thought a bottle with about 20 yrs of age would be a good one to try; felt like this was long enough for poor storage to be detrimental but not so old that bottles would otherwise be hit or miss. I chose a $65 1999 Maison Champy Beaune 1er Cru Grèves and I’m happy to report that the bottle was in pretty good shape! Here are my tasting notes:

"Bottle looks to be in great shape and the cork looks nearly brand new. Just the tiniest amount of bricking on the edge. There is a medium amount of sediment that is very well behaved and easy to decant off of.

In the glass, the wine is in good shape; still a decent amount of fruit aromas/flavors, some tasty secondaries, but with just a hint of the less desirable soy sauce notes lurking in the background. The fruits skew cool-climate and red—cranberry and tart raspberry that are fresh and very appealing. There is a refreshing amount of acidity, still moderate tannins, and a nice finish that emphasizes the emerging earth and woody flavors of vanilla. I wonder what this wine was like young; I would guess that it may have started out over-oaked, but it’s balanced out over the years.

Amazingly, this wine was better on day 2. I put half the bottle in a 375mL and stored it overnight in the fridge. The next day, the wine was actually fresher and the soy sauce notes were almost completely gone! Very surprising for a 20+ yr old Burgundy. Well done! "

I’m definitely going to continue the experiment and try something a little older or a little more expensive and see how it turns out.
IMG_2985.jpg
IMG_2984.jpg

Nice thanks for the info. Cork looks perfect!

Buy all the $10 1982’s they have and invite Boldizsar over for another Thunder tasting.

Nope–as to buying “expensive” wines, unless they are a bargain and you’re confident that the merchant will stand behind the sale. It sounds like they have an interesting collection and it’s good the bottles are racked (not standing), but I’d be concerned about temp and light in wines that are decades old. That said, if your experience has been good and they are good to deal with, I’d continue to experiment, but would be wary of buying anything pricey.