Would you buy Chateau Mouton Rothschild 1987 375 ml?

Hi Peter- not intended to call you out for not having tasted the wine. I was curious if you had- the wine gets mixed reviews and I seem to be one of its few fans, but then again I often find off vintages interesting. Plus I have not had it in quite a while, so was interested to see if you had a more recent impression.

As for QPR- you will get no argument from me there. For a birth year or out of curiosity- I think the 1987 is worth trying, but from a QPR perspective off-vintage first growths is one of the worst places to go shopping these days.

I was lucky getting into wine 25 years ago because back then The Chicago Wine Company had periodic “End of Bin” auctions where they sold off-vintage bottles at very good prices. One of my early goals as a Bordeaux fan was to have a first growth from every vintage possible- and those auctions were a big part of my coverage of most vintages back to the early 1960s for very good prices.

At today’s prices it would be prohibitive to do that- and for all I learned I do not know that I could honestly recommend anyone try to replicate that exercise in today’s market.

For the record, I bought the 87 Mouton on release with no intention of ever drinking it. I thought it significant that the label art featured the death mask of the Baron and it seemed like it was an appropriate acknowledgment of his powerful impact on the course of Bordeaux in the 20th century. BTW, I also bought some of the ‘93 because of the scandal the European label created with the original art depicting a reclining nude girl. The chateau was completely taken by surprise by the American response to the provocation that the image created and recalled the bottles they could from the US market and replaced the original artwork with another label that had the upper two inches devoid of any artwork. I bought some of those bottles as well. Again, no intention of ever drinking the wine. Neither of these wines are probably worth drinking, but ya gotta love the stories behind them.

Yea, that seems like a better way to go. May be a bit hard to find. Any recommendations that are <$600 ?

Yea, that seems like a better way to go. May be a bit hard to find. Any recommendations that are <$600 ?

FWIW I have 750’s of 88,89 and 90 all much better vintages bought on release and stored perfectly on Commerce Corner right now at fair prices for such great provenance. Already sold one set and have one more. Got a bunch of LLC’s also

Great idea!

I read this and just get a little depressed. Birth year wine. I have a kid who’s only 5 years younger. Man I’m old…

Buy a we ll stored 1987 Mondavi Reserve, Dunn Howell Mountain, Ch. Montelena, or Beringer Private Reserve in that preferential order, say I and enjoy some decent juice.

OTOH, I have some extreme rarities in my cellar which have historical significance in California wine history and which I will never drink, i.e. the pride/joy of owning the rarest bottling in CA, or cool label wines(“Hock”, “Mosel”) from the 1930’s, or made by the father of modern CA winemaking, or screw cap wines from 1940s. I am a collector!
it was very difficult for me to sell below in a BerserkerDay sale.
1126161543a.jpg

Totally agree with these suggestions (although I’ve only tasted two of them in the past 15 years)! Hope the OP is not too disappointed that he’ll probably have to buy 2-3 bottles to hit his $600 budget. [cheers.gif] neener

Put some bids out for some of those. I seen from “experts” that 1987 wasn’t the best vintage, but I will end up purchasing 750’s and drink the wine for my next birthday.

That bottle is beautiful :heart_eyes:

I have twice, both times blind. It’s total crap for what it costs.