Would Bananas Foster work with any other fruit?

If you don’t like vomit fruit what about durian?

I barely like sweet potato any more than bananas, but I would like to try it out for science, intriguing…

I’m almost sure pawpaws are the way to go.

Something different to add here. I have done bananas brûlée. Slice a ripe banana, add sugar, torch, serve with ice cream or whipped cream

Sweet potato idea. They aren’t acidic like a lot of other fruit substitutes and banana texture of that recipe is a difficult thing to match. Sweet potatoes with the banana’s foster ingredients could be pretty dang close and sounds really good.

If your looking to keep the same flavor profile and sauce I think peaches could be an excellent option. My wife makes an awesome BF. We’ll have to try this and will report back.

I like Bananas Foster but the idea of someone who can’t stomach bananas trying to find a substitute seems quixotic.

I am a Hopeless romantic when it comes to desserts.

No, Bananas Foster can’t be done with any other fruit. It’s dish unique to both flavor and texture.

That said, I struggle to think of any fruit that wouldn’t be delicious with sugar, spices and good booze. It won’t be Bananas-Foster-Made-with-Peaches, but it will be delicious.

In my head it’s like this: I have one fruit pie recipe. All ingredients are the same, I just swap out the fruit depending on what’s in season. But my peach pie is a peach pie, it’s not a blueberry pie using peaches.

Just make bananas foster with no bananas. Everyone’s just in it for the sauce anyways. Bananas are a distraction.

Didn’t tell the kids what was going to happen:

Baked Apple might be the closest texture/holding sauce match.

Try plantains! [cheers.gif]

I still believe pawpaw would be best–but butternut squash would be good too. I’d bake the squash with brown sugar and butter, and let it cool, before I started the Foster recipe.