WOTYs--2018 Edition -- TABULATIONS COMPLETE

Hi Alan,

Stylistically they have shifted to more elegant, paired-back wines. You can still get large-scaled, powerful wines but gone are the buttery, buxom things of yesteryear. There are many producers striving for the struck match, flinty character that a lot of people admire.

Regions to seek out include Margaret River, Adelaide Hills, Yarra Valley, Mornington Peninsula, Tamar Valley, Coal River Valley, Beechworth. Producers that are making exciting Chardonnay include Holyman, Stargazer, Tolpuddle, Penfolds, Leeuwin Estate, Vasse Felix, A.Rodda, Giaconda, Oakridge and Kooyong.

Cheers
Jeremy

Woty is probably a tie between ‘01 Climens and ‘81 LdH tondonia gran reserva blanco.

Discovery Of the year are wineries from central Spain - Bodegas Ponce from east of Madrid in Castillo La Mancha and Bernabeleva from the west. Wines of finesse and energy. Especially the Bernabeleva wines that taught me that Grenache can be a wine of grace when made well.

You intrigue me with your pillow talk of elegant Grenache, Vince! That 81 Tondonia must have been in a great drinking window. Happy to hear the 01 Climens may be opening up the kimono at last.

Jeremy, thanks, lots of producers I have not heard of. Is anyone on Tazzie making any worthwhile Chard? Sorry for the slight thread drift…

Further drift, I’ve had a number of tries at various Kumeu River bottlings and have had one great one and about 5 ordinary bottles.

Mike

My wine of the year: 2013 Szent Tamás Szőlőbirtok és Pincészet Nyulászó 1-es hordó Tokaji Édes Szamorodni at Tigris Restaurant in Budapest. I drank two glasses with our dinner there, then returned twice to drink it again over the next few days. The restaurant closes in the afternoon after lunch service, so they kindly set up a table on the sidewalk outside the restaurant for me to sit and enjoy drinking this wine.

A 2015 Tokaji Wine Auction wine: https://tokajiborlovagrend.hu/en/auction-lots/auction-lots-2015/szent-tamas-winery-nyulaszo-1-es-hordo-tokaji-sweet-szamorodni-2013/

WOTY: 1990 Pichon Baron
Discovery: Sigalas Vin Santo 2008

2002 Krug
2001 Ramonet Montrachet
2001 Leflaive Chevalier Montrachet
2010 Coche Dury Corton Charlemagne
1959 Faiveley Corton Clos des Cortons
1985 Pousse d’Or Volnay Clos de la Bousse d’Or
1980 Pousse d’Or Volnay Clos de la 60 Ouvrees
2000 JF Mugnier Musigny
2007 Rousseau Chambertin Clos de Beze
2007 Rousseau Chambertin
1989 Lynch Bages

Ooh other discovery of the year, British Columbia reds. Okanagan valley Grenache and Syrah we’re both fantastic

How do you think the 1989 Lynch Bages compares to the 1990? I just opened the latter and was extremely impressed.

Just saw this. I don’t know about wine of the year, you have to be nominated as honorable mention in post of the year just for typing that wine name.

I’ve been drinking a fair amount of Birichino lately. They now ship to Ohio. Fantastic wine and fantastic people and very modest pricing. They’ve replaced two wineries I will not mention for my go-to wine.

You forgot one!

1929 R.Roger Musigny…probably my wine of then year, along with that 2016 La Romanee.

I absolutely adore the 1989. I have only had the 1990 a few times and not in recent months. The 1989 is more focused to me. It reminds me of Chateau Latour in many ways.

Tigris restaurant is SO good!

How a champagne and a Bordeaux snuck onto your list, Don, I’ll never know [grin.gif]

Updated mine to include the dazzling 2015 Damien Laureau Les Genets Savennieres

Discovery : Banyuls Vial-Magnères and more precisely cuvée Al Tragou

Domaine Vial-Magnères : AOC Banyuls ’’Al Tragou’’ 1990 : 19/20
Domaine Vial-Magnères : AOC Banyuls ’’Al Tragou’’ 1985 : 19/20
Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Romanée St-Vivant 2007 : 19/20

Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle 1991 : 18,5/19
Frédéric Emile 1990 : 18,5/19
Clos Ste-Hune 2015 : 18,5/20+

18,5/20
Stella di Campalto Rosso di Montalcino 2012
Maury Mas Amiel 1970
Sauternes Haut-Bergeron 2005 (50 cl)
Vouvray Foreau moelleux réserve 1989
Châteauneuf Rayas rouge 2001
Vouvray Foreau Goutte d’or 1990
Raveneau Chablis Butteaux 2010
Corton-Charlemagne Bonneau du Martray 2014
Barolo Bartolo Mascarello 2006
Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rayas rouge 2000
Bertani Recioto della Valpolicella Amarone 1962
Alves de Sousa Gaivosa Porto Tawny 20 ans
Clos Ste-Hune 1967
Clos Ste-Hune 1975
Clos Ste-Hune 1990
Clos Ste-Hune 2001
St-Julien Gruaud-Larose 1990
Dow’s Vintage Port 1994
Champagne Laurent Perrier brut rosé
Champagne Dom Pérignon Plénitude 2 1998
Châteauneuf-du-Pape Pignan 1999
Rayas red 2008
Domaine Vial-Magnères : AOC Banyuls ’’Al Tragou’’ 1990

WOTY: 1976 LDH Bosconia

Discoveries: This is the fun part for me.

1. Canary Islands: Ignios by Borja Perez - up there with Envinate.
  2. Ribeiro: Luis Rodriguez whites. Match up for any white burgs.
  3. 100% Munier based champagnes: specifically Michel Loriot and Prevost.

I always enjoy this exercise, but as always, at least a few and probably more are still to be opened in 2018 (hopefully). I will check back later on. Thanks Mike!

Best**
2002 Krug - Best champagne I’ve ever had. What an eye-opener to great vintage champs. Beautiful color and richness.
1955 Francesco Rinaldi Barolo - Purchased for $55 Euro and it was singing!

Worst
1974 Ridge Monte Bello - Purchased two through Aucwine and both were duds

**Note, our Christmas lineup should be stellar. Might have to update after New Years.

Thanks all. John, I usually leave the thread open for about a week before doing final tabulations :wink:

Paul, that 1929 R.Roger Musigny was indeed stunning and probably in my top 3 for the year.