World tour: producers that appeal to Burg palate

+1

+2 good call

Not Howard, but over the past two years I heard similar echoes. A couple of things I have tried have been good, but not something I would replace Burgundy with.

The only American Pinot for which I have ever used the descriptor “Burgundian” is the 2011 Rhys Home Vnyd.

That said, I give a very strong vote to Arcadian, although it is a bit bottling and vintage dependent for some of your criteria.

Nice list Matt,

Also agree with the add-ons of Burlotto, Jamet, and others I’m not recalling. Jamet is very much N Rhone but has that ethereal quality that most of us associate with Burgundy, which you don’t always get when you reach for Burgundy…this being the (assumed) point of the exercise.

For Arcadian, I definitely sense that one foot in the new world, another in the old. I get a similar impression from Enfield and some current Whitcraft these days, even though they have a ways to go to get to Arcadian’s level of consistency and just years of doing it.

Also feel like Oregon Pinot gets closer with a good amount of stem inclusion going a long ways toward helping achieve this target, if it is one.

A lot of mid-Atlantic chardonnay can do a good white burg imitation.

Of the top of my head:

Burlotto or Fratelli Alessandria
More recent vintages of Le Ragnaie

Mascarello Monprivato of course

In Barolo, I would add Marcarini, which doesn’t get enough credit. Very elegant wines.

In the Southern Rhone, Charvin in cooler/off vintages. Their Cotes du Rhone should not be overlooked.

Costa Gracia - Cesanese del Piglio: I love this wine from the Cesanese grape in Lazio. Really earthy flavors and good structure. Less austere (more fruit) than Nerello Mascalese from Etna, but it takes a couple of years (just a couple) for the tannins to soften.

Felsina Berardenga Chianti Classico, at least in 2016. Such bright cherry fruit, with a spine of acid and tannin.

Levet in Côte Rotie.

This. It’s become harder and harder for me to justify buying white burgs at their price points when I can buy these incredible Chards at a fraction of the cost. Drinking a Walter Scott Chard as we speak.

Popped a ‘13 Eyrie Sisters Vineyard Pinot and a ‘17 Walter Scott La Combe Vert Chardonnay in honor of this thread. The Eyrie was as classic as it gets. Very ethereal and much more strawberry fruit than cherry. Starting to show hints of tertiary aromas. Not as much weightless power as the best 1er Burgs but definitely better than several I’ve had in the last year.

Cantillon [smileyvault-ban.gif]

Why no mention of an actual and obvious part of Burgundy: Beaujolais?

Because for most people Gamay doesn’t push the same buttons as Pinot?

How has no one mentioned Jura reds and whites?

Ganevat, Tissot, Domaine de la Pinte, Bourdy, Camille Loye, Domaine Macle, both Overnoys (not that I’ve had Pierre Overnoy), Bournard, Puffeney. Probably the only Jura I’ve tried that wasn’t quite so Burgundian was Ratte.

But if you are talking of “Burgundian”, gamay is PERFECT, and much more in line than nebbiolos or southern Rhones which will have a heaviness of alcohol that Beaujolais seldom reaches.

Favorably and positively compared by many Juge-heads here, including in my own 2-vintage experiences (I don’t consider myself a juge-head).

Juge Cornas is Burgundy.

Agree that Beaujolais is a good match on the light/heavy spectrum. Flavor/aroma profile not so much, at least for my palate.

Nebbiolo isn’t a flavor “match” per se but satisfies the same preferences. I don’t see most S. Rhône/CdP as pushing any of my Burg buttons. Maybe Beaucastel, Charvin, Pegau, but not the riper/sweeter ones.

Portugal - Luis Seabra & Niepoort

For me, I find the other little Nebbiolo regions tend to make a much lighter and less extracted version that often times brings in other grapes to the party too. I had a '97 Boca last night that gave me the red fruit, mushrooms, and violets nose that I associate with Burgs (although it did have a ton of saddle leather too). Also I’ve had some Valtellina Superiore that scratches that Burg itch. The main difference is that I usually get a bit of brett with the Italian wines.
https://www.wine-searcher.com/regions-boca