Wirecutter on stemware...

This isn’t a write-in poll. You gotta pick one!

1 Like

I picked all of them!

1 Like

How about being clumsy during dinner with a full 6oz pour? That’s how we tend to break them.

Libbey glasses are fine and got me though college a long time ago. However, they always broke in the dishwasher.

I am always shocked that Schott Zwiesel never shows up on these lists as a value pick for something a bit fancier. The Burgundy glasses we use for most wines hold up well, are fairly inexpensive ($65 for 6), and feel better to me than the low end Riedel stems. I think right now we are at a breakage rate of one every 8 months.

1 Like

I think wirecutter is good for things that I need a decent version of but don’t want to go down a giant research rabbit hole before making decisions. Like, I don’t need the best blender, I just need a blender that works.

I would guess most of the crowd here enjoys the glassware research rabbit hole.

I would like to note that these tests did not include the upcoming release of Glasvin’s Kane Lux Universal stem or the Glasvin Burg InFUencer stem, both of which will be released in January and will knock your effing socks off. Buy each for the FuKane Awesome Super Combo. No brainers come berserkerday.

I’m guessing I have 6-7 different shapesd/sizes of SZ stems and do indeed like them, but do notice some issues worth mentioning.

• compared to peers in quality/price, the bases often have a fatter rim/lip than other producers. some models have a very faint visual line / mold mark too, although one has to look hard for that. a few also have a slight edge on the stem too, which can be felt by fingernail, if really searching.
  • all the sizes i have are from (i’m guessing) 15 oz to 25 oz and generally the shapes feel more contrived and less elegant than comparable Riedel. It’s like there was a need to visually differentiate themselves in the market place.
  • their modern angular ones feel more ‘sharply’ pitched than others.
  • I don’t notice any extra fragility (despite chipping one a day or so ago) as we break lots around here due to Canine Spastic Syndrome.

On the plus side, the value plus availability are good as I have seen them offered in grocery store wine aisles, homewares stores, liquor stores etc. SZ don’t have to be obtained only at specialty retailers or online. NB Schott Zwiesel seems to have rebranded recently as Zwiesel Glas with new logos on their watermarks/etching; newer ones have a little musical note.

1 Like