Wines To Pair With...Corned Beef!!!

Death by Guinness? Don’t do it Bill, don’t do it! We’d never forgive you. [wow.gif] :wink:

No question that I would do the good Doctor if I could find one here. I know better than to even look in a country where you cannot find Diet Coke (or “Coca-Cola Light”, as it is called here) half of the time…

1992 Screaming Eagle.

A magnum of 2007 Chateauneuf-du-Pape

A fine suggestion - run it through a SodaStream and you’ll have your Dr. Brown’s.

I usually go for bubbles with high salt content foods. Sounds like the riesling/gewurz option would work, too.

Last year for St. Patty’s Day we did a few wines, just to see. Bubbles worked, dry riesling worked, and for me, zinfandel worked. I liked how the ripe, fruity, plummy flavors went with the meaty, savory character. I should note that we used a zin from the Dry Creek area, not a Paso or Lodi fruit bomb. Maybe you can find a good Primitivo there?

I was considering Riesling this year. Glad to see others recommend it.

Considering your location, how about a nice Ruchè?

Sherry.

Fino or Amontillado.

Vajra makes a riesling.

Irish whiskey seems like the obvious choice to me…

At least dye the Riesling green neener

Bill…pretty sure that pastrami is of Turkish origin, spread to the rest of the Ottoman empire like Romania. Pastirma - Wikipedia Apparently, in the great melting pot of eastern European jews in New York in the very early 20th century, the Romanian Jews supplied smoked goose/duck recipes which were converted to use on beef, so it became “Romanian” pastrami. (And, corned beef and lox(the salt-brined salmon, not the smoked salmon) originated with other ethnic/national groups, though they are also associated with the same melting pot at the same time. Neither corned beef or “lox” was part of any tradition that the Jews brought from Russia or other eastern European countries, though brined herring apparently was.) To me, “pastrami” is more of a method than a specific meat, except in the US now, though even here it is used to make other meats like turkey and duck.

In Alsace (particularly at the great restaurant (“the Caveau Morokopf”) in the same town as Albert Boxler, there are all kinds of pork products done in the style of corned beef and not served with the sauerkraut. They go great, in my view, with dry Alsace wines like riesling and pinot blanc, though I am not a big believer in trying to “match” food and wine.

Good luck over there, particularly with the rye bread.

You’re in Piedmont and asking us for recs? Man, are you slumming today.
Why not try a rich pinot gris from Alsace or the NE of Italy? Or a Valentini trebbiano?

The Vajra bianco is bone dry and way too nice a wine for CB.

I was thinking a black and tan…

Bill, if I had a drone I would dispatch some fine FLX Rieslings with bright acidity … Semi dry to dry the fat will make the wine less dry, but the acidity will pop the beef and bring out the flavors… I am drooling , for real…

Gewertztraminer dry to semi … The guava aspect with the spice will give the corn beef a pop too…

Italian Grigio , why not… Cab franc austere not fruit bomb wines tho … Pinotage or Gamy would work…

A rose Nebbiolo … If you can find one, oh my that would be my pick then riesling then Pinot Grigio dry …

Pinot Gris Bill.

Dude! Consider that corned beef does not even exist in Italy, much less a good Jewish deli. If I want a good corned beef sandwich, the Piemonte offers no help. (Well, except for really good cabbage, and excellent kraut.) I am, however, gratified at the number of excellent responses on this thread, including yours. I understand that the thread may not interest everyone, but the responses are damn near encyclopedic and to my mind excellent. The connection to Alsatian and similar foods is invaluable.

When you live here, despite all of the great food and wine and excellent raw ingredients, there are still some things that Italians simply do not use, so those things are not grown/sold. If I hanker for corned beef, Thai food, Mexican (although Torino has one good Mexican place), really good Indian and even really good Chinese, I gots to make it myself…

I bought a loaf of alleged rye bread at the supermarket yesterday. Rye it is, but barely recognizable as such, and NY Jewish rye it never had a prayer of being. I can bake bread, so all that I need is some good rye flour, which should not be much of a problem. As it turns out, I might be able to find a decent rye at Eataly in Torino…

I have the Vajra bianco (riesling) on tap, as it is an old favorite, and some good bubbly possibilities as well, but now I have other choices as well. I should be able to find the NE Italy wines mentioned in this thread pretty easily…