Wines from the White House's 2014 French State Dinner

Not so sure about that. Love them or hate them, Oregon has no producer that has achieved the level of notoriety that Cayuse and Quilceda Creek have. Not even Beaux Freres! There are many good wines being made in both states, just no great ones, and therein lies California’s edge…

If they wanted to boost the notoriety(scores) of Oregon the producers should have had the good Doktor and his traveling junket show swing through a few times. A few 98+ and 100s will surely do an area good.

Bill, surely you’re not equating notoriety with quality. I’d rather drink an Eyrie anything than a Cayuse or QC any day.

The folks on that thread are ridiculous. There’s lots of WA wine worth defending, but Long Shadows? I don’t understand it.

Michael

No, Michael, I chose that word carefully. Neither of those wines are to my taste, but they are to the tastes of some. (Dr. Jay Miller comes to mind!) My goal was not to start a futile pissing contest here about Washington wines versus the world’s…

It’s a wrap! - YouTube

Not from WA, so no horse in this race. That said, if I was a WH advisor for the event, it wouldn’t be hard for me to recommend an aged Betz for the dinner. Good wine, won’t embarrass in front of the French. Good price, so likewise won’t embarrass when the media takes the subject up.

And actually, I don’t have a problem with the Long Shadow choice. A pretty creative reach.

+1.

OBTW, as has already been expressed…Obama is not an abstinence guy. Not sure where you picked up that he was a teatotaller.