Wines for 25+ years of aging

If you want some Burgundies in the collection, I recommend:

Rossignol-Trapet Latricieres Chambertin or Chapelle Chambertin
Pierre Amiot Clos de la Roche
Hudelot-Noellat Clos Vougeot or Chambolle-Musigny Charmes or either Vosne Romanee Suchots or Beaumonts
Chandon de Briailles Corton Bressandes

Since I have only started collecting for aging myself

This seems pretty important. If you still don’t know what you like or how badly you love older wine, and you haven’t had some of those mentioned, it seems pretty strange to load up on something and sit around for twenty five years waiting to try it. Rather than ask for random recommendations, why not try a lot of older wines to see what you like?

Some people are telling you to load up on Riesling, others on Barolo, others on Bordeaux. Sooner or later someone will suggest CdP and Zin. They’re all different. Do you love old Riesling? I prefer it younger. Same with CdP and Zin. But I wouldn’t want to wait twenty five years to figure that out.

Another thing you might do is let your kids taste some wine. Americans are really hung up on alcohol use by kids but their kids are nonetheless vaping and smoking marijuana. Maybe let your kids taste a bit of wine now and then. When I was a kid my parents let us taste it and that’s how I figured out I like Riesling. But some people simply have a strong aversion to alcohol and/or acid and/or bitterness and it would be good to know that early on. And no, that’s not to say that the taste preferences of a nine year old are going to be the same at age thirty. But I dated a girl once who wouldn’t touch any alcohol at all, no matter what form it came in. No moral issue, just didn’t like it.

As far as investments, there seems to be a lot of certainty regarding the value of various wines increasing. If I had that kind of ability to predict the future, I’d load up on surefire securities rather than wine. It would be wise to imagine that anything you “invest” in wine is simply going to be for your enjoyment, rather than provide a store of value.

Anyway, just my two cents. Good luck with whatever you do.

I did not see them mentioned above but CA Cabs like Ridge Monte Bello, Chateau Montelena, Seavey and Togni will go the distance.

I have never really tried to buy wines for my son but as a matter of course there is a large percentage of my cellar that will likely go to my son. I would focus on buying wines that you would like to drink.

Then again you could always snag some Washington state Red’s with some age on it, brown bag it, serve it blind and convince your guests that it is aged Bordeaux! strawman

I purchased for my son, Ridge Monte Bello, and since his name is similar to Chateau Gazin, I bought a case of that.

My one piece of advice would be to buy some age-worthy inexpensive wines as well as well as a few rare bottles. Being born in 1989, I regret that my parents didn’t buy e.g. 10 cases of 1989 Olga Raffault, or Clape, or Tempier, or anything else that was cheap back then. Having some volume of great mature wine is very special.

Medoc from 1995. newhere

Especially if your friends showed up with a corked wine and a dead wine!

Some surprisingly good stuff anyway. [cheers.gif]

And imagine being married to that girl!

I think if the poster is still learning wines himself, he’s got plenty of time to buy wine for his daughter. First growths would always be appreciated, either by her herself in later years or if a bottle is needed to bribe someone off the streets to move you in sub-zero weather when she gets that creative job in New York City or Toronto.

Add Chateau Climens, a few GKA from JJ Prum, Schloss Lieser, Zilliken and/or Reinhold Haart and some vintage Port.

Almost happened. Alcohol aside though, she did have some really wonderful preferences . . .

Thank you all for the responses, they are all awesome. To clarify, I have been drinking wine for a long time, and know BDX very well, including aged ones, but I just haven’t had the ability to buy for aging until I moved back to the US recently. While living in Europe I had the opportunity to try a ton of different wines, and are big on BDX and talian. i’m just glad I now have the ability to lay some stuff down longer term.

Some of the things I am going to move over to her locker are Sassicaia, Gaja, Lafite, Margaux, and several other Brunellos and BDX that i love. I even bought some 6L, 9L, and one 15L 2018 EP that i am hoping I can use for her wedding someday. But the suggestions in ths thread are great in that they are leading me to age-worthy wines I have not thought about before, which is exactly why I started this thread. I know nothing about ageworthy Rieslings, but am going to be reading up on that now.

How did you land a gig at TWA before your 30th birthday?

Or do I really want to know the answer to that question?

Have you seen his writing and the level of knowledge he imparts?

He’s the best critic writing right now for the wines I drink

+1. And it isn’t close

Quite so - Loire reds from 2009 would be a great idea since it’s an excellent vintage and you really don’t need to spend a fortune on Clos Rougeard, just find some top Chinons (Baudry, Joguet, Alliet, Raffault, Couly, etc) or you could try Robert’s suggestion, Plouzeau. They’ll last for decades.

Robert Parker founded The Wine Advocate aged 31, Jancis Robinson became assistant editor of Wine & Spirits aged 25, and Hugh Johnson started writing about wine aged 21. Which is simply to say that youth is not necessarily an impediment.

He’s the best critic writing right now for the wines I drink

+1

I really believe its harder to find riesling that ISNT at least age-able than that is. whether its worthy of it or not…

but there are some great producers making incredibly interesting wines, and you can get a huge range of styles. all of which I think are good things. if you’re putting down those listed I’d also think about some late-harvested Egon Muller and JJ Prum, some dry Keller and Donnhoff GG. I also am a big fan of Schafer-Frohlich GGs. the big win with these is that they could all be 50 year wines instead of just 25 if she takes a little while to come around to the berserker world.