Wineries to visit near Cape Town

Hey Everyone,

I’m a newbie to wine and to this website. I’m visiting Cape Town and want to head to Stellenbosch and Franschhoek. I have ZERO experience with SA wines and open to any suggestions.

I’m looking for some recommendations on wineries with excellent wine, great view or ambiance. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

For a great view with good wines (solid, not great imho) go to Tokara and perhaps have lunch out on their restaurant deck. You can see the hills and scenery all the way back to Cape Town on a clear day.

If you want to explore what Pinotage can be then visit Kanonkop. Best producer of Pinotage I’ve ever found. Most bottlings I tasted at the winery had an almost Volnay like nose and presence on the palate.

Klein Constantia is closer to Cape Town but a separate trip by itself. Nice wines especially the Vin de Constance. They have a nice bistro on site if you’d like to make a reservation and do a tasting and lunch event.

We visited more but those are the first three that popped into my head.

Thanks @Joe_Dulworth

Have you been to Leeu Estate?

Nope. Best I can recall off the top of my head we visited:

Stellenbosch
Warick
Kanonkop
Uitkyk
Rustenberg
Tokara
Thelema
Rust en Vrede
Morgenster
Mulderbosch

Franschoek
La Motte
L’Ormarins
Boschendal
Vrede En Lust
Rupert & Rothschild

Constantia
Klein Constantia

WOW you visited a lot of wineries :slight_smile: Thanks for the feedback.
Any favorites from that list?

Favorites

Stellenbosch
Kanonkop
Uitkyk
Tokara
Thelema
Rust en Vrede

Franschoek
La Motte
L’Ormarins
Rupert & Rothschild

Constantia
Klein Constantia

Thanks again!

I’d second Thelema. Stunning location and we had some fantastic wines there, including the Thelema Gargantua Muscadel! So sad we didn’t buy a bottle and bring it home. Do yourself a favor and buy a bottle.

Also went to Mullineux & Leeu Family Wines. Great wines and wonderful grounds, however a bit on the high end for tasting price and a very “robotic” tasting experience.

One day in Stellenbosch we did the Vine Hopper hop on hop off bus. It was great! We got to hit a number of wineries without the fuss of driving. We did the southern route and I would certainly recommend it.

Finally, if you find yourself in Franschhoek around lunch or dinner be sure to stop at the Cartel Italian Cafe. Great authentic pizza and panini’s. Very laid back and inexpensive.

Thanks @Theodore_Smith

I was thinking of planning a trip to Franschhoek and doing a tasting at Mullineux & Leeu Estates than grab lunch at La Petite Colombe.

You’ll have a great time. We did the Single Terroir Tasting and sat out on the patio. It was a perfect day. The wines really are fantastic, and we really wanted the chance to taste the subtle differences in terroir, so it was a great experience. One thing we wish they would have had was SOME sort of snack or food. I mean these wines are begging for a pairing even if something very simple, but they had nothing. Glad we had brought a few snacks and chocolates with us. Later that night we had dinner at Le Chene. Wish I could say better things about the dinner, but it really wasn’t our favorite. Now, my wife wasn’t feeling well, so that didn’t help. While the food was presented exquisitely, we had a tasting menu, the portions, taste and unbelievably the wine parings just were not great. Glad we went, but not sure I’d go again given the many choices in Franschhoek.

As a side note, my wife found some great jewelry shops in the main strip and it’s a really nice walk if you enjoy some light sight-seeing and gift shops.

Some pictures from the dinner and at Mullineux

1 Like

Ohhhh the food looks amazing. I can’t wait!!!