Winemakers who don't like the style of wine they make?

Probably more than want the shout out. I, too, have noticed all those European bottles at Californian wineries…perhaps that’s what they spend their money on from charging high prices?

Really, Marcus? I took issue with the word “ripe” last week. Now will challenge “high prices.” Why should an owner/winemaker/producer not have access to cars, vacations, nice homes, retirement funds, wine (Euopean or other)…seems like you are inferring we all make so much money that even WE can buy European wines. Doesn’t FEEL right. We receive education and training, we do a job that has measurements in place, and we make money accordingly. No different from banking, accounting, teaching, software development, lawyering, etc.

Uh oh, looks like nobody wants to tangle with you Merrill.

Perhaps not. But if they want to discuss the issue respectfully and thoughtfully, I will certainly listen. And engage. I quite enjoy it.

I’ve been making wine for 5 years. Though we like drinking our wine (and do), it is better educationally for me to drink good wines from other sources.

The same may be true for winemakers with more experience - especially sampling wines in a similar style that are currently selling well to get a sense of demand.

The winemaker who was unhappy to see his wines served at a dinner might just have been hoping for a night off. Critical tastings, scores, notes, etc, are great fun but if you made the wine the meal is anxiety time. If only other’s wines are served, you get a fun relaxing dinner.

On Merrill’s point, as a free-market type I concur. If the wine is too expensive customers don’t have to buy it - especially if there is an equal substitute at a lower price. Whatever it makes, a business has to gauge the highest price their product will sell at, adjusted for volume of sales. If your profit is huge, cheers (not envy)! [cheers.gif]

Kim

The larger the production the more likely the winemaker is going to be obliged to make something that the marketing department or the owner thinks will sell. What if somebody making100,000 cases of chardonnay decided to go low alcohol when the wine with 14% alc with 3 grams of rs was selling like hot cakes??

I remember seeing a chart at the Chalone group s office as to what each winery in the group represented, the appropriate style etc. If a winemaker did not agree, too bad.

Of course, winemakers love to try other peoples’ wines.It is done in the name of educational research. And maybe some day the winery owner will say, let’s make beer too!

I know winemakers who just drink what they get for free, or cheaply, and winemakers who are more than crazy about exploring the world of wine…hard to generalize.

Amen!!! Love this.

Pretty much everyone I know in OR is a winemaker. Some for others, some for their own wineries. All of them who make their own wine make it in the style that they like to drink. When it’s just a job, they do the best to fulfill the wishes of the owner and the customers of said winery. I think that’s to be expected. As far as drinking wines from different regions, or styles is concerned, I would hope that most winemakers veer out of their lane. Being exposed to different wines is important, no? I for one, LOVE Syrah. I’ll probably never make one, but get out of my way when an open bottle is around.

As for the Old World v. New World discussion, it’s played out. I’ve made wine in Europe and the US and visited countless countries and wine regions. There are plenty of great and bad examples of both new and old world. Nobody has a monopoly on excellence or passion or great terroir.

Cheers,
Bill

Tegan didn’t start with Turley until 2014 or so…

Actually he took over in '13 but he’s been with Turley since '03 working his way up.

Correct, Brian - and from what I’ve heard, he’s had a good deal of influence on the Turley wines for a number of years, even while Ehren was still there.

I think Tegan’s case is an excellent example of a winemaker who makes wine for someone else (Turley - big, bold fruit, higher alcohol) as well as having his own label (Sandlands - more savory, lower alcohol). Obviously quite different stylistically, but I would assume Tegan enjoys both styles. Quite a few other winemakers are in similar positions - I imagine not all of them love the wines they make for other people (or at least not as much as those they make for their own labels) but I don’t really know.

Ehren Jordan is a good example of somebody who made wines in three different styles…Turley, Failla, and Neyers…it doesn’t mean he wouldn’t drink any of them or suck down the wines Bruce Neyers sells for Kermit Lynch…

I won’t name names, but I have talked to wine-makers in Woodinville that would prefer making wine in a different style, but keep making the style popular to their patrons as they aren’t sure they would be able to market and sell the wines in a different style.

Chateau cash flow. That was the name the winemaker used for his cash cow at the winery I worked at some 20 years ago. He hated that wine but it sold more than all the others combined and kept them in business.

The main reason we drink others wines is to not get cellar palate. No different than a chef not eating at his own restaurant 7 days a week. I have seen up close winemakers with cellar palate that only drink their own stuff and the wines were not better for it, in mine and others tasting of said wines.

Most nights of the week we open at least one bottle of someone elses wine. We pretty much just drink Pinot Noir for reds, but there are so many different styles and locations it comes from. Had a Colorado Piont Noir last night our new employee brought with her and it was better than some that come from AV.

Usually in January we inventory the cellar and don’t drink anything we ever made or from wineries we worked at. I like to reset my palate during that month. Also as soon as I start berry sampling until I make the last basket press cut, I will stop drinking any wine make with any new oak. I don’t want to skew my perception of tannins in the fruit and stems. So whites and beer dominate, but my Zero new oak PN, Bojo, and bubbles make many appearances.

Plenty of winemakers make wine they don’t prefer to drink. No different than a chef passionate about French food but working at a Italian restaurant. Or just that they know a different style is easier to sell as wine and or as a brand and its more a business decision than a personal preference.

Joe’s comment reminds me that I always feel reassured in a winery, when I sit down in their tasting room and see bottles from other producers sat open or finished.