Winemaker Software

I have used several and would definitely go with WMDB. Easiest to use and easiest to fix when mistakes are made.

I realize this discussion has gone to Monty Python, but I thought I would chime in with a note about a winemaking app I am developing for iPad. The app is for sale on the app store now, but has kind of medium level capabilities right now. I wrote the thing for my own use as a replacement for the wine journal we (most of us) winemakers keep to remind us of what we always do wrong. But my journals were so damn messy that I had to create the Winemaking app in order to straighten myself out. The thing takes batches, journal entries and data per journal. You can plot it and email csv data files to yourself. Or you can email plots of data to yourself. The app is still growing, and I would love to hear from those of you who envision yourselves bringing iPads into a winery. What else do you think you need in software like this? http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/winemaking/id428878456?mt=8
Paul

Excel as a start, it has all the calculations you could ever want, works as a database/log and its cheap.

There’s a lot of middleware out there to connect to sensors if you want to collect data too.

So, I am in the middle of a three day training with VinX2. Love it so far. There is a lot to learn, but it will make our lives a LOT easier- lots of cool reports, divvies up topping over several lots automatically, calculates adds, direct importation of numbers to the monthly 702 report, etc. I just hope I can learn it before harvest. [wow.gif]

I just switched jobs a few weeks ago, and my new place uses PC-Blend from Orion Software to track all things wine - from vineyards to bottles and foils. http://www.orionwinesoftware.com/PRODUCTS/BlendWineProductionManagement/tabid/127/Default.aspx

Just started using it, so the jury is still out. Seems a bit clunky - not super intuitive to learn, reports seem a bit hard to call up, but since it has the potential to be an all-in-one solution, thought I’d mention it here. Hopefully I’ll learn how to use it better before harvest, and will have more to comment on.

Cheers,
Nate
newhere

Good afternoon. In searching the topic I stumbled across this thread so I thought I would bump this with my situation. I see a few of you have chimed in with a comments on your experiences (or lack thereof) using various winery software products. A few were just learning a new product.

I have just bottled our first vintage and about to enter into our third harvest. We are a very small (up to 6 barrels this year) operation at this point but plan to continue growing, and I’ve been keeping track of stuff mainly inside an my head and paperwork stuffed in my laptop bag. It’s time to keep track of this stuff better. I am about to put together an excel spreadsheet to track production costs and business costs for tax and per bottle cost purposes. But if there is an all in one software product out there that can do that and also serve as a tool during production, etc, and of course makes sense economically for a very small winery operation, it may be worthwhile for me.
So I guess I’m revisiting this thread to see if anyone can report back and give some recommendations.
Thanks!
Rob

I still quite like the Fermsoft Amphora, as a good basic app; though I now use my own proprietary system.

I am now familiar with the VinX2 which I spoke about above, and also Wine Maker’s Data Base. WMDB SUCKS in my opinion. I really like VinX2, but for your small production it would be way too expensive. I would stick to an Excel spreadsheet or something similar until your production got large enough to justify an expensive program.

bumping this thread to get some feedback. We are looking into purchasing something that can link all of our cellar production, run reports, track barrel inventory, history, costing models, compliance reports & spit out work orders.

hoping to find something cloud based, that can run on Mac/ipads, an interface that is easy on the eyes.

super bonus would be if it could tie into Sales, finished inventory, Customer side of things.

WMDB vs. VINX2 vs. Wine Management Systems vs. Vintners advantage

Thoughts??

Ryan,

We are really happy with Vinx2. It is cloud-based with a nice UI (soon to be updated to be even nicer) and they have been improving it each year we’ve had it. It is pretty strong in most areas you mention and we run all our production work order creation/completion through it, all the way through bottling and inventory. Vinx2 now has a partnership with eWinery solutions that they claim will link the two apps so you can have Vinx2 feed the POS side of the world though I haven’t seen that side of things as of yet. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk further or in more detail. Phone might be better for details.

Ryan

If you will go back upthread, you will see that I personally was very pleased with VinX2. I have since used WMDB and thought it SUCKED ASS. OMG. Like night and day. I can’t even express how horrible I think WMDB is compared to VinX2. Of course, I don’t think WMDB has really been much updated in 20 years, so there you go.

WMDB is probably not your software. It can do all the top set (with some extra modules), can be cloud-based but I am not sure it runs on Macs and is definitely not easy on the eyes.

There are some back end modules for it, but I think a complete winery business has to have WMDB “AND”. Whatever that “AND” happens to be.

I know more than a few people looking for what you’re talking about. Not sure any of them have really found it. I know a few wineries who use AMS and can make it work in that way.

Reminds me of uniting quantum mechanics and relativity. Linking operations and production to sales, marketing and finance in a wine setting…just hope you don’t wind up getting a PhD in string theory?