Winebid revised.....

You guys just need to live close enough that you can pick up your wines at the Napa facility. Saves a lot on shipping costs. No matter that housing prices here are hundreds of thousands more. If you buy enough wine, though, it all evens out…

I’m already good at rationalizing wine and real estate spending. This is even better—a synergistic relationship between both.

Given the still-hot weather across much of the US, none of my cheap wines are shipping yet.

They will cost to ship than to buy. [snort.gif]

Thanks for the message Russ. Instead of everyone calling, it seems that Mark Thompson suggested a good alternative. Grandfathering in all the purchases to date would be amicable, and start with the auction beginning 10/6.

I agree that grandfathering would make sense. I had already set a shipping date and method for the wines I’d purchased and had held since early summer. Got the notice of the change today, logged in, and saw my shipping rate had already been adjusted to a significantly higher figure. That’s poor customer treatment, to me, even if the rates reflect actual costs. Make a notice about the change, effective at the start of the next auction, and everyone will be more understanding. No bridges burned.

Nice of Russ to pop in and comment.

I have not purchased since the sales tax change (where I took some shit here I might add) on 3/4/2019 and I have not missed a beat nor do I miss it one bit. It’s actually cathartic. lol

For my pending order… cost to ship 11 bottles vs. a year ago went up ~$1/bottle. From low $30s paid a year ago, to low $40s paid today.

Hi everyone, thanks for the public and private comments and suggestions, we are reading every one, and will be posting a public message as well as reaching out to all of you privately between Monday/Tuesday. We will be regrouping as a team on Monday morning and coming up with a solution probably something like what’s been suggested here and several of you have private emailed me as well. We will do our best to address everyone’s concerns about wines held in storage til now and any purchases/bids made for tomorrow night’s auction, and will also do a better job of giving more heads up about changes in the future.

We also appreciate those of your public and private comments that continuing to provide subsidized/money-losing shipping in the face of rising shipping costs was not sustainable, because again- we’re not Amazon. We will continue to strive to provide the best and unique assortment of fine and vintage wines, at the lowest buyer’s premium, and with the best shipping options and rates that we can find and negotiate and provide to you, and will work to continue to provide the absolute best customer service possible. Thanks to all of you loyal customers for your patience and sticking with us while we work through these changes.

We’ll be back to you in the next few days with some answers, and please always feel free to ping me here or call/email our small but very responsive customer service team.

-Russ

Thanks Russ. Looking forward to hearing your update.

-Alex

Dang.
That rules out the baked roast-pork bun (gook chat siu bao) for pairing with each bottle.

FWIW I’ve purchased many bottles from White Burgundies to Barolos to California Cabs and have never had an off bottle.

Appreciate the follow up and know in the end WB will do what’s right.

Looking forward to tonight’s new wines.

Cheers,

Lucas

This is actually a really good idea. While I’m not one that likes changes…this kind of customer service could favorably impact my decision to continue to shop here. I’ve always felt like they did a good job with customer service. There’s something about “trying to make things right” that makes me want to do more business with a company.

Agreed

Everyone has said everything that needs to be said, so will await what Russ and his team come up with.

Please accept our apology for how the message was conveyed last week about your shipping rates. We could have done a much better job of communicating that the change would be happening, and when, and let our customers plan on the change before it happened. This was just a pure mistake on our part.

Your subsidized shipping rates will continue to be honored on all wine that you ship between now and January 5, 2020 to help with all your holiday shipping.

With regard to shipping, it is important to remind everyone that like most other auction houses and retailers, earlier this year we reinforced the California passage of title terms and conditions for the consignment and sale of auction wines and subsequent shipping thereof. This means that:
Your wine legally becomes your property in California, and we are not shipping your wines to you – you are shipping them to yourself.
We are simply facilitating the shipments with the best possible options we can negotiate on your behalf. We are not a logistics and fulfillment company and do not make any money on shipping.
There are many shipper options out there and our Customer Service team is happy to help direct you to other carriers who may be able to provide additional options, or please refer to our Other Shipping & Storage Service page.

Any questions or comments, please email us or call (888) 638-8968 and we will be happy to help you figure out the best method to ship your wines to yourself.

Sincerely,
Russ Mann
CEO
WineBid

Nice job, Russ.

Thank you.

Kudos to WineBid. Wasn’t changing my practices, but it certainly makes you like a company more. Well done, Russ.

Is this from an email you were sent?