Winebid no longer allowing pickup in Illinois

+100

Nail in the coffin for me as well. Glad I ramped up my buying from them over the past few years. Shipping expense will pretty much negate any cost savings I could find after the high buyer’s premium and sales tax.

My recent experience with a third party shipper from a retailer in CA was very bad. Not only was the whole process about 3 weeks (as you have to let them know at least as week beforehand when you want to ship), but it was routed through Texas when temps were still in the 80’s there.

Glad the cellar is well stocked as my buying will be heavily curtailed if this becomes the new normal.

I would love to force wine wholesalers to eat processed poultry which has been handled in the same way which they effectively encourage for wine.

Very much a shame. Just did a pickup there over Thanksgiving. Super convenient, particularly since it let me ship to myself in Texas without incurring the costly third-party solutions. One day – soon, I hope – the ridiculous nature of the retail shipping right now. It’s a horrible state of affairs.

Have your purchases increased, decreased, or been stable since this change?

I’ve had a couple shipments from said merchant recently. They usually took at least a week, usually two weeks to pack and ship my order. These last two were shipped the Monday right after close. I wondered if they were just trying to get as much out the door as possible before the bad guys stopped interstate shipping.

My purchases with them have ceased at this point. I do still look at what they have in the auctions, but they have to have something really compelling. Otherwise, I’ll try another avenue.

Same here. Stopped buying completely.

Add me to the list of those who have completely stopped buying because of this.

Some people are bidding.

I’m in Illinois… Even with the buyer’s premium and shipping, there’s quite a bit of wine on there that looks like it will come in well below winery-direct and even retail. I’m a newb on WineBid, though, and just starting to poke around.

Agreed.

With a little patience and poking, you can find some deals.

I also come across plenty of bottles that are of interest that are extremely difficult to get here in IL.

My purchases have basically remained the same. There’s just an extra wait right now, so it’s basically get a case together and then ship.

I had sworn off winebid as part of my buying reduction program but gave in twice last year and both times I got what I regard as good deals even with the shipping. There’s a lot of IMO overpriced bottles on there as well of course.