Winebid new changes

Was just told that they no longer accept wines at less than a $40 per-bottle reserve price, and now charge a minimum $8-per-bottle seller’s commission. Seems pretty drastic to me.

Really enjoyed being able to fine wines from $15 and above and the option to consign cheap bottles as a seller. Not sure why they decided to make these changes.

1 Like

If I had to guess, it’s probably too costly to profess a sub $40 wine to get the margins, particularly as they seem to be offering more Buy Now stuff.

3 Likes

Gotta show the investors your maximizing revenue and all that American way of the dollar stuff. I think our fun is getting in the way of their $$ per bottle ratios. Its a real shame for those of us that like to explore and experiment.

Is there another outlet that takes lower end wines anymore? I know Spectrum changed their minimums. I haven’t check in on them in many months.

3 Likes

Never bought a wine from them. I did recently do a large order from Chicago Wine Company on mainly Washington State Wines as prices even with commissions and shipping were good but it is hard to find a good deal on auction today.

WineBid was for years a great source for affordable, under-the-radar aged wines. Over the years, I purchased so many great wines for under $40 on WineBid, many with some age to it. Bummed that going forward there will be much less of those on offer.

10 Likes

That sucks!
I’ve been drinking my way through a dozen+ of sub $35 Sancerres purchased on WineBid. Was an easy way for me to explore. That’s too bad.

1 Like

Ugh - say this ain’t true. But it explains why I’ve been seeing less there.

That under $40 has been how I often bid at WineBid. Most of the Ridge and Bedrock backfilling I have done have have been with under $40 reserve wines. Plus it has exposed me to many interesting NZ Pinots under screwcap for less than $20 and the lesser Port Shippers under $30 for 90s vintages.

4 Likes

Yeah, they’re basically saying they don’t want the business of anyone that looks for value wines, myself included. Their choice, I just wish I wouldn’t have spent the $100 for the Pro membership a few months back. Oh well, it will be better for my bank balance in the long run.

2 Likes

Wow. Big disappointment and will drastically decrease my buying

1 Like

Don’t worry. Russ will post and tell us how great this is. I can’t wait.

6 Likes

It’s sad for me, the reason why the value wines worked for me was because of the local pickup. Otherwise, shipping would kill me on what I have often purchased from them. The only thing that I reguarlly buy at the $40+ price point is Vintage Port. I might have to start watching K&L’s auctions more.

1 Like

Damn, what a huge bummer. That was literally the appeal of Winebid. As others mentioned, so many years of taking a stab at unique, often times older bottles at good prices that many times overperformed. Looks like they are squarely focused upstream now.

*removes repeating Sunday 7:55pm winebid alarm from phone

2 Likes

The number of wines under $40 on WineBid is no small amount. Of the current 9,368 auction lots listed on WineBid, 2,379 lots are under $40. That’s a little over over 25%. I am in part sympathetic that it is expensive to list the wines. Especially when WineBid photographs all bottles; that’s a big labour and time cost that has a fixed per bottle cost.

I imagine this decision is going to make the diversity of wines offered on WineBid much narrower. There’s likely going to be much less aged German riesling offered, which is a big bummer to me. The biggest reduction though is going to be in domestic wines offered; over 60% of the under $40 wines currently offered for auction are domestic wines.

1 Like

Very sad to see another change. I was sad to see the Chicago office close as it was so easy to drive in and drop off wine to sell. Shipping to Napa was not as easy and much more expensive.
Over the years, have found some great deals under $30. Sounds like that may not happen any more.

I’ve gotten quite a bit of older Ridge and Chablis for less than $40 for reserve. Gotta say, with this decision, I’m pretty much done with them. Sure, it’s their sandbox, but Russ can now GFH with his sandbox.

2 Likes

My fall delivery from WineBid came yesterday, the last one after stopping my more extensive weekly monitoring of the site earlier this year. This latest change just makes it even easier to ignore as a buyer. At $45 to ship 6 bottles temp controlled, and storage charges that seem far beyond cost (or at least far beyond my own offsite storage cost) kicking in after a month, now it’s really just for trying to snag that gem of German Riesling or older Bordeaux that no one else seemed to notice.

On the sell side I’m not sure what to make of it as someone could easily want to sell a cellar with bottles ranging from $25 to thousands, but now WB will only consider the $40+ bottles. It’s a decision that as people have written can be justified by reference to margin, but now after moves over the last couple years that really only affected buyers negatively, here we have one that hits sellers as well.

4 Likes

Yep, I imagine there’s several frequent sellers on WineBid, that sell both high end and under $40 wines. As a seller it makes little sense to look for another auction house to sell solely their under $40 wines. With this decision, I imagine some sellers may start looking elsewhere to consign their collection.

5 Likes

Really disappointing to hear. I just started using WineBid after getting hooked after an Amex promo, but it doesn’t make sense for me if I can’t find reasonably priced Riesling, especially with other options that allow me to purchase a full range of wines.

In 2005 when I really started getting into wine I will never forget how winebid had all of these aged cheap wines. I still remember buying over a two year period 2-3 cases of 1982 Bordeaux between $15-$60 bottle. It taught me so much on how good some wines could be for the price as well as wines past their peak or stored wrong. It’s really sad how the wine drinkers of today can’t live that experience.

1 Like

You guys got it all wrong. I’ve been waiting for the day I could move my CdR, Grüner and Albarino for $40+. Windfall baby!

1 Like