Winebid 15 L 2005 D’yquem - what would u do with it

To answer the original question, a very high end wedding.

Easy answers:

Get diabetes.

Pair it with 80 lbs of seared fois gras.

Sell it and buy $20K of individual bottles of champagne (that have broader appeal for toasts!).

See if that one guy on EBAY will trade his Prius for it.

I’d drink 15 glasses or so with some friends, then try and return it.

I actually knew a guy that had a 15L of Yquem. I saw the bottle and it was gargantuan. I asked him when he’ll open it and he said: my daughter’s wedding. Fair enough.

That’s a lot of sweet nectar for a lot of people.

I could see it for a Chinese wedding with 300-400+ people, but it might be a bit gaudy to have a 15L and that’s saying something

Hmmmm. That reminds me of this thread. Your dumbest purchase - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

I do Jay Hack one better by becoming Park Avenue’s first wino post Bloomberg NYC era. I would set up camp on one of those handy-dandy islands that seperate the traffic. I would sip and take notes to pass the time while hiding in the shrubbery When I needed a break, I would troll around and harrass people for small change and foie gras (duck or goose, I ain’t picky). It would be a race to see which failed first: the bottle or my liver but at least I would go out in style.

Selling it might not be that easy. That particular bottle has been on Winebid every week for about a year.

Does the price drop 10 every week?

how many bottles of that size could they possibly make in a year? I can’t imagine its many… maybe d’yquem wants it back and is willing to trade for 750s?

other thought would be sell it to a group that does regular large tasting events. maybe wine spectator or suckling wants it. haha

very high end restaurant could add it to their wine btg,and give an oz pour to all big wine customers. Refrigerated that bottle will last for years after opening. 500 pours, $40 per, bottle would very cool on the bar.

Not sure, but they have been trying to sell it since 2011 at least, and this listing says it was purchased on release, which probably means they’ve had it since around 2009:

It was $25,000 then, so it has gone down 5k in 7 years.

Wonder which poor sap was responsible for that purchase. Maybe they use it as a doorstop or something.

I bought a 6 liter of a 1986 Raymond Lafon because it was my nephew’s birth year wine. I brought it to his wedding rehearsal dinner, which had 80 people. We finished about half of it. he following morning, I had to chant the seventh day or creation at my synagogue in the original and brought the bottle. We drank half of what was left. Four months later, I poured a bottle of it into another bottle and brought it to our month LBTG and served it blind and it was still quite good. The rest remains in the bottle. And remember, that is 2-1/2 times as big.

I had thought of the 6L for my daughters birth year. And thanks to posts like Jay I cancelled it. I ended up buying a lot of 750 and 375 instead. Will drink 375s on her birthdays. And then as many 750s as needed for her wedding. And she can save the overage.

buy a foie gras farm so I’ll have a matching set.

If you so, you will buy the farm, so to say.